July 22, 2008
The MAC Board of Directors will meet tomorrow night (Wednesday) at 6:30. It will be held at the Varner & Goundry Law Office at 31 West Patrick Street, Suite 100.
A message from John Borgersen, President of MAC
The increase was necessary for a number of reasons. These include:
- Providing more coaches to work with our swimmers. Payroll is MAC’s largest expense, consisting of 64% of our budget. This year we added Chris Kaplan and John Miller as part-time members of our staff. We will continue to utilize these resources and look to add additional coaches. The MAC Board is committed that every group receives the benefit of additional coaching, and our plan is to have two coaches on deck as often as possible. In addition, this year’s budget includes a 3% cost of living increase for all staff and the establishment of a bonus pool to award excellence.
- Increased costs related to the operation and maintenance of the bubble. Last year, we spent over $13,000 to clean and fix the blowers/heaters and to clean the inside of the bubble. Many in our community noticed an improvement in the air quality inside the bubble, and these efforts certainly improved the appearance of our facility. Next year, we plan to clean the outside of the bubble and invest in proactive maintenance to extend its life.
- Spending more dollars on swimmer activities/awards and team building. Last year we increased spending in this area by 39%. This included an improved website, providing T-shirts for swimmers for special meets, sponsoring the “Splash for Cash” brunch, and additional group get-togethers. Although, we cannot increase this spending every year, we are committed to improving the “MAC experience” for our families.
- Saving dollars to ensure the financial viability of our club. In the last fiscal year (primarily due to deferred maintenance issues), MAC had a loss of $11, 035. We need to be strengthening our financial position to handle any future challenges that come our way—be it infrastructure, staffing, or unplanned expenses.
The new yearly fee structure is as follows.
The Board appreciates your support and looks forward to hearing comments. Please send your perspective to: email@example.com attend the Wednesday, July 24th Board meeting. As always, we value your feedback, comments and, most importantly, your recommendations on how we can continue to build and improve this outstanding organization for our swimmers.
Below is the agenda for the meeting.
- Current status of groups/conditioning—tapering explanation
- Summer—end of season/time off
- 2008 Zones information
- Meet recap
- Next season try-outs
- Coaching assignments
- Additional coaches report
- Additional coaching issues/discussion
- Open Forum Discussion
- Treasurers report
- Dues discussion/% increase/payment schedule
- Membership fees/billing update
- Meet entries account-status—additional ideas for management
- MAC Board Positions
- Other business
- Open discussion/Next Meeting