September 3, 2011
Concussions: What You Should Know!
The Bellevue Club is pleased to announce that Wednesday, September 14th, 7:30pm, at the Bellevue Club, Dr. Stanley Herring, will be lecturing and leading a discussion on the prevalence and dangers of concussions in youth athletics. Dr. Herring is a team physician for the Seattle Seahawks and a UW clinical professor in the Departments of Rehabilitation Medicine, Orthopedics and Sports Medicine and Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Herring was a major contributor to the successful passage of the Zachery Lystedt Law in Washington State.
Key provisions of this new law require:
- Youth athletes who are suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury be removed from play. "When in doubt, sit them out"
- School districts to work with the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) to develop information and policies on educating coaches, youth athletes and parents about the nature and risk of concussion, including the dangers of returning to practice or competition after a concussion or head injury.
- All student athletes and their parents/guardians sign an information sheet about concussion and head injury prior to the youth athlete's initiating practice at the start of each season.
- Youth athletes who have been removed from play receive written medical clearance prior to returning to play from a licensed health-care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussion.
- Private, nonprofit youth sports associations wanting to use publicly owned playfields comply with this law.
To Register call 425-688-3172 or email email@example.com
- The cost is $15 for Families or $10 for individuals
- The cost for Bellevue Club swimmers and families
§ $7.50 Families or $5.00 per swimmer
- Half of all proceeds will go to benefit the Lystedt Fund.