August 31, 2012
The BCST Seniors wrapped up the 2012 Long Course season by traveling to scenic Indianapolis for seven days of fun & competition in the Summer JR National Championships. This meet is comprised of the best 18 & under swimmers in the country, with the qualification standards being extremely competitive. Close to 900 swimmers from over 400 teams competed in this year’s meet, and BCST was right in the thick of things placing 21stoverall.
It wasn’t our best meet of the year, as the slew of peak meets (i.e. Olympic Trials & PNS) & the 3 hour time difference seemed to have a dulling effect. But the swimmers still raced hard and helped to achieve our highest placing at this meet in years.
Representing the Bellevue Club were Alec Barnard, Caitlin Cox, Anna Keane, Ed Kim, Kalena Laurent, Todd McCarthy, Stevie Sholdra, Liam Sosinsky, and Kim Williams.
- Liam has his bag mistakenly stolen from the overhead compartment on the plane. Unable to find the accidental thief, Liam uses his detective skills and tracks down the culprit, convinces the man he has Liam’s bag (he did not believe Liam at first), then gets him to drive all the way from Bloomington to return it to him.
- Crossing one more thing off our bucket lists by visiting the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Day 1, Kalena places 12thin the 200 Fly with a BC Open record time of 2:16.16. This time would have qualified her for the 2012 Olympic Trials! Stevie places 19thin the 200 Fly and Kim places 13thin the 200 Breast (BCST 15-16 Record).
- Day 2, Kim places 6thin the 400 IM (her first big final at a National meet), and Ed took a double dip placing 13thin the 100 Free and 19thin the 200 Back (BCST 15-16 Record).
- Day 3, No finals for us that day, but Ed got a best time in the 100 Fly (BCST 15-16 Record) and Todd a best time in the 200 Free.
- Day 4, Kim returns to finals, and places 15thin the 100 Breast. Alec gets a best time in the 100 Back.
- Day 5, Kim places 10thin the 200 IM and Ed places 12thin the 50 Free. The Girls 400 Medley relay of Caitlin Cox, Kim Williams, Kalena Laurent and Anna Kean place 11thwith a BCST Open record time of 4:20.78, almost 5 seconds faster than the old record.
Post Meet Highlight
- Hearing of how Liam made a verbal commitment to Vanderbilt University, even though there’s no men’s team, he just wanted to spend the next 4 years with the attractive Vanderbilt coach.
- Watching Ed, Liam, and Stevie have no trouble eating 1 pound of hamburgers each at the Steak & Shake.
To participate in a meet like this, a lot of hard work and time went into making it happen. Alec, Caitlin, Anna, Ed, Kalena, Todd, Stevie, Liam and Kim we are so proud of you and all you accomplished this year. Congratulations on all your success!