Officials are volunteers that have met standards set by Ohio & USA Swimming. Standards include completing a clinic held annually, taking an open book test, and apprenticing with a certified official. All USA-Swimming meets must have USA certified Officials on hand in order to run a sanctioned competition.
The Rays has a need for parent volunteers to officiate at our home and away meets. Among the many benefits are free admission to meets, free food & beverage via our excellent hospitality room, and a front-row seat to your child's swimming on deck.
No prior officiating experience is required. Our Officials Chair will guide you through the education materials, and you will have the opportunity to apprentice with our current officials prior to being certified. We specialize at training and developing new officials as we pair you with our certified officials throughout your apprenticeship process.
Our coaches and swimmers thank you for making our meets possible!
The Mason Manta Rays Officials Chair
The Officials Chair is Terry Anchrum, and he can be reached at 513.919.3935 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
THE TOP TEN REASONS TO BECOME A RAYS SWIMMING OFFICIAL
10. Support the team with your time as a volunteer. Why not give something back to the team and sport that’s doing great things for your child?
9. You get an excellent working knowledge of swimming and the rules.
8. Since United States Swimming is a tax-exempt charitable organization, volunteer expenses such as mileage, hotel, and meals are potentially tax-deductible.
7. Our own amazing hospitality (good food and a cool place to sit) during Rays meets.
6. You meet and learn the sport with some of the best and most experienced USA Swimming Officials in Ohio Swimming.
5. No need to work the crowds to find a good seat in the stands.
4. No need to worry about your Volunteer Commitment Hours.
3. Free heat sheets, food, parking & admission.
2. You can make a difference! Don’t sit in the stands and get a sore back, stand up and be involved with the swimmers on deck!
1. BEST PLACE TO WATCH A MEET EVER! You can watch the swimming action up close and interact with your swimmer in ways that are not possible any other volunteer role.
SOUNDS GREAT – WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
The best way to get started is to attend an upcoming Ohio Swimming Fall Clinic and Training Session. Three clinics are offered in the area (you only need to attend one):
A) Thursday, September 29th @ 6:30pm-9:30pm, Dixie Heights High School, 3010 Dixie Highway, Edgewood, KY;
B) Saturday, October 1st, @ 9:00am-12 noon, Walnut Hills High School, 1515 Jonathan Ave., Cincinnati, OH; or
C) Thursday October 6th, @ 6:30pm-9:30pm, Dayton Raiders Aquatic Center, 560 Grange Hall Rd, Beavercreek OH.
The fee for the clinic is $6, payable in cash. Upon signing in, they will ask which LSC (local swim club) you are representing, Mason’s LSC is RAYS. You do not have to sign up - just show up and we’ll make sure you get what you need. During the morning you will learn everything you need to become a Swimming Official. You can contact our Officials Coordinator – Terry Anchrum at email@example.com or at 513-919-3935 for more information or any questions about becoming a Swimming Official.
Officials Apprentice Evaluation Forms
Rays Officials -
We've adopted a new, standardized form for evaluating apprentices for the following positions: Stroke & Turn, Starter and Deck Referee. We will start utilizing the forms this swim season and it is expected that all mentors and apprentices ensure this form is accurately completed and finalized for each session worked.
For those who attended the Fall Officials Clinic, this is part of what Ohio Swimming is moving to in an effort to standardize the process of evaluating performance. We were at the precipus for leading this standardization process. It's essential for both the mentor and apprentice to get familiar with the evaluation forms ahead of the meet. Please advise if you have any questions regarding the forms.
Stroke & Turn Apprentice Evaluation Form
Starter Apprentice Evaluation Form
Deck Referee Apprentice Evaluation Form