Red Cross Lifeguard Training
The Lifeguard course teaches participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon successful completion participants will receive a American Red Cross certificate in Lifeguarding and First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for two years.
Click HERE to register for an upcoming course.
Registrants who are then hired by Minnetonka Aquatics and work at least 15 hours per week during the summer will be partially refunded for the cost of the class after the successful completion of their last scheduled work day for the summer 2019 season. To apply for a lifeguarding job with Minnetonka Aquatics please click HERE.
Please bring swimming suit, towel, goggles, Lunch & snack to each session.
Prerequisites to get into the Lifeguard Training class (this will be done the first day of class):
- Swim 550 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water. Swim googles are not allowed. Surface dive, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to the starting point keeping both hands on the object. Candidates should keep heads above the water. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
- Tread water for two minutes using legs only, hands placed under armpits.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three diving rings placed 5 yards apart and return to start.
- Student must be 15 years of age by the last day of the class.
- Students must attend and participate in all class sessions. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills, final rescue skills scenarios and activities.
- Pass both CPR/AED for the Prof. Rescuer & First Aid, and Lifeguard Skills final written exams with a minimum grade of 80%.
Questions? Please email Scott Lhotka at email@example.com or call us at 952-401-5225.