[REQUIREMENTS UPDATED ON 8/15/21]
This Squad is exclusively 14 & under swimmers who meet the Pre-Requirements & swimmers who were moved up to the Junior Squad during the 2020-2021 COVID-19 Season.
- JR offers a highly competitive program for swimmers 11-14 years old and is RAC’s third-highest performance squad.
- RAC’s Junior Squad is designed to provide the curriculum and atmosphere necessary to achieve success at CT Age Group Championships, ISCA & Zones.
- Swimmers in this squad have to come from AGE GROUP (AG). Competitive swimmers coming from outside programs who have achieved the Junior Squad Standards will be interviewed and evaluated by the Head Age Group Coach through a practice tryout with the AG Squad for a week before moving up.
- When the swim meets become available, parents are required to commit their swimmer(s) for meets. They will receive an invitation to do so via Email & OnDeck from RAC Staff.
Notes on training:
- The Junior Squad Athlete is a positive and hard-working swimmer for the RAC program as a whole. They are expected to work towards their short and long-term goals daily and be role models for others in the club.
- Junior Swimmers must have the desire to improve and strive for the highest level.
- Decisions on movement to the Junior Squad will be taken depending on the age, achievement of performance criteria, commitment, and physiological stage of individuals concerned as well as training attitude. Ultimately all decisions and reviews will be made at the Coaching Staff discretion.
- The swimmer must display a history of the above requirements BEFORE being moved to the Senior group.
- Be 11-14 years old (middle school)
- Achieved either CT Age Group Championship 11/12 400/500 Freestyle
- GIRLS: (SCY: 5:57.49, SCM 5:18.29, LCM 5:24.19)
- BOYS: (SCY5:59.99, SCM 5:24.99, LCM, 5:30.99)
AND the 200 IM
- GIRLS: (SCY 2:32.59, SCM 2:46.59, LCM 2:55.79)
- BOYS: (SCY 2:33.59, SCM 2:46.99, LCM 2:57.69)
- Be 11 to 14 years old and be able to complete 5 x 100 Freestyle, GIRLS @ 1:21, BOYS @ 1:22, OR, [email protected]:30 best average speed of 1:22 for girls and 1:25 for boys
- an efficiency set of 10 x 200 IM @3:15.
[Swimmers can meet with the Head Age Group coach to set up a time to be tested]
- Has shown the Coaching Staff that he/she increased their technical and tactical abilities in all four competitive strokes, and all distances required for their age group.
Objectives & Expectations
- Parental involvement in swimming decisions at a minimum.
- Once swimmers achieve competency, the swimming relationship transitions from coach/parent to coach/athlete for them to progress to their highest capabilities.
- Swimmers should attend 5-6 practices per week (75%)
- Make finals at the CT Age Group
- Strive to achieve multiple Senior/ISCA Championships qualifying standards.
- Be able to complete 16 x 100 Freestyle @ 1:25 best average speed of 1:18 for girls and 1:14 for boys in a 25 SCM pool.
- Swim an efficiency set of 10 x 200 IM @3 and 4 x 400 IM @6:00
- To participate in all RAC intended zone and National level meets.
- 77% attendance or higher. Coach retains discretion of accepting absences, which do not count against the attendance figure.
- Be comfortable swimming 200 of each stroke, the 400/500fr, and the 400 IM.
- To be able to swim the 1000/800 freestyle
- Conduct themselves with honor and selflessness at all competitions regardless of circumstances and live a lifestyle appropriate for achieving the greatest personal success.
- Great nutrition/massage/yoga
- No drugs, alcohol, and tobacco products.
- Ability to train at or above a level appropriate for current experience and speed.
- Willingness to attend and perform in every meet, in every event, and every distance available to their age group with the discretion of Coach's decision.
- Junior Squad swimmers are expected to do everything within their power to reach their own personal potential
Move Up Considerations:
- If a swimmer meets the Senior Squad Pre-Requirements, move-ups will occur 12/20/21, 4/1/2022, or at the coach's discretion.
- Team Swimsuit for meets, regular swimsuit for practices
- Tempo Trainer