Team Travel Policy for Lake Cumberland Swim Team
Purpose: Athletes are most vulnerable to misconduct during travel, particularly overnight stays. This includes a high risk of athlete-to-athlete misconduct. During travel, athletes are often away from their families and support networks, and the setting – new changing areas, locker rooms, workout facilities, automobiles and hotel rooms – is less structured and less familiar.
Team Travel is defined as overnight travel to a swim meet or other team activity that is planned and supervised by the club or LSC.
USA Swimming Required Policies
These items are Code of Conduct stipulations in the USA Swimming Rulebook.
- Club travel policies must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club. (305.5.D)
- Team managers and chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming-administered criminal background check. (305.5.B)
- Regardless of gender, a coach shall not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangement with an athlete (unless the coach is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete). (305.5.A)
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, the athlete must have his/her parents’ (or legal guardian’s) written permission in advance to travel alone with the coach. (305.5C)
Code of Conduct / Honor Code
All team members, team staff, and parents of minors are apprised in writing of this Code of Conduct and the attached USA Swimming Code of Conduct. A signature on this document constitutes unconditional agreement to comply with the stipulations of both documents.
- Team members will display proper respect and sportsmanship toward coaches, officials, administrators, teammates, fellow competitors and the public at all times.
- Team members and staff will refrain from any illegal or inappropriate behavior that would detract from a positive image of the team or be detrimental to its performance objectives.
- The possession or use of alcohol or tobacco products by any athlete is prohibited.
- The possession, use, or sale/distribution of any controlled or illegal substance or any form of weapon is strictly forbidden.
- No “deck changes” are permitted. Athletes are expected to use available change facilities.
- Team members are reminded that when competing in meets, traveling on trips, and attending other meet-related functions, they are representing both themselves and the Lake Cumberland Swim Team. Athlete behavior must positively reflect the high standards of the club (or LSC).
- Swimmers are to refrain from inappropriate physical contact at team activities and events.
- Swimmers and parents are to refrain fro use of inappropriate language at all USA and LCST activities and events.
Failure to comply with the Honor Code as set forth in this document may result in disciplinary action. Such discipline may include, but may not be limited to:
- Dismissal from the trip and immediate return home at the athlete’s expense;
- Disqualification from one or more events, or all events of competition;
- Disqualification from future team travel meets;
- Financial penalties;
- Dismissal from the team
- May be reported to USA swimming for further penalty.