Safe Sport (www.safesport.org)
The Waves program works to fulfill it's mission and vision while at the same time providing a safe environment for all participants. IN order to protect our members, the Waves abides by all policies set forth by USA Swimming through an organization called Safe Sport.
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is a national independent non-profit organization. The Center believes that all athletes deserve to participate in sports free from any form of emotional, physical and sexual misconduct. The Center provides response and resolution services within the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Movements and provides education and training to coaches, administrators, athletes, parents and sports organizations.
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is designated by Congress through the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017 to serve as the independent national safe sport organization, with the responsibility for developing policies and procedures to prevent the emotional, physical, and sexual abuse of amateur athletes. The Center’s responsibilities include Education and Training, and Response and Resolution services to National Governing Bodies. This includes:
- Establishing training and policy requirements for national governing bodies
- Providing training and implementing educational programs for coaches, athletes and parents
- Receiving all sexual misconduct reports (which can be reported anonymously) from NGBs and anyone in the Movements
- Investigating reports of sexual abuse in a confidential manner
- Issuing decisions if an individual did or did not violate the Center for SafeSport Code
- Sanctioning individuals found in violation of the Code, up to permanent ineligibility
- Establishing oversight mechanisms, including regular and random audits of the NGBs.
The polices set forth in our handbook are guidelines and practices to keep all of our athletes and members safe. You can view a copy of our handbook here.