We are always looking to recruit great officials. Being an official is an important and crucial part of hosting a successful swim meet and it is a fantastic way to fulfill your workshare obligation. Please see the information below on how to become an official.
- How to become an official
- Attend a Stroke & Turn or Admin Official clinic taught by volunteer clinicians (2 – 2 ½ hours and $10 initial fee), need to RSVP with clinician; clinics dates are updated frequently and are listed at PNS.ORG under “Clinic”
- After the clinic, you need to pass an OPEN book knowledge test on USA Swimming web site
- Once you pass the test, notify your clinician to get an “apprentice official” credential.
- Armed with credential, you will start to gain some fun experience with current officials on deck for minimum 4 sessions
- Officials (novice or certified) do work entire session that he/she commits to working. There is no working partial session.
- Officials (novice or certified) are required to attend an official meeting each session. Official meeting usually will be held one hour prior to start of each session.
- Notify your clinician once a referee recommends you to be certified.
- Register with USA Swimming as a non-athlete member (fees)
- Pass Level 2 background check (fees)
- Complete and pass an online Athlete Protection Training program on USA Swimming site
- BC Booster will reimburse fees for the following :
- Background check
- USA Swimming registration
- Initial clinic fee once you have successfully becoming a certified official.
- How do I sign up to work a meet?
- Novice official – it is recommended you check with the meet referee before so they can plan and ensure enough experienced officials will be available to work with you.
- Novice or certified officials can work on any meet (BC or non-BC hosted meets)
- Once you become certified, you can just show up to a meet that you like and fit into your schedule.
- No novice official is allowed on championship meets.
- Standard official attire
- White polo
- Navy blue shorts/pants/skirt/kilt
- White shoes and socks
Contact BC Official Chair if you have any question
- Report your BC workshare
- USA Swimming Rule Book
- Level 2 Background Check
- Athletic Protection Education
- USA Swimming Non-Athletic Registration