What to expect at an HTST Swim Meet
· Check in time is early, about 6:30 see specific meet information for exact times (see below to understand why it is so early).
· Meets usually end between 12:00 and 2:00 depending on the number of swimmers (6 & Under events end earlier).
· When swimmers check in they will be given a sticky label with their event numbers, events are swam in order, from 1 to 80.
o The parents usually keep the sticky
o Swimmers can have their event numbers written on their hand/arm with sharpie if so desired
· Swimmers enjoy having coaches, parents, or other swimmers write and draw on their arms, legs, and backs with sharpies, it comes off in a day or 2 (you can also use rubbing alcohol to get it off sooner).
o Eat My Bubbles!
o I “heart” Coach ______
o Go Tide
o Pictures of fish, …
o Some parents bring colored sharpies
o This is one of the highlights of the meet
· Several event numbers will be called to the Ready Area at a time
o The Ready Area is where volunteers organize the swimmers by event, heat, lane
o The swimmers will be given cards which they will take to the lane and give to the timers
o Make sure you child
§ Has their goggles
§ Has their swim cap (if they have long hair)
§ Knows what stroke they are swimming
§ Is on time to the ready area – it takes a lot to organize and run a meet with hundreds of kids
o Events will be called to the Ready Area over a PA and by signs placed around the pool area.
· What to bring:
o Easy Up shade tent (Saturday mornings “tent cities” spring up around area pools everywhere)
o Tarp to place on the ground under the tent (grass is often wet in the mornings)
o Blankets for kids to lay on
o Games, books, activities for the kids
o Drinks (water, Gatorade, …) – concessions may or may not be available
o Food – concessions may or may not be available
o Extra goggles
o Extra swim caps
o Sun block
o Sense of Humor
· Be sure to check out with a coach before leaving the meet, your swimmer may be needed to fill a relay spot.
· The meet cumulates with the exciting 4x100 Free relays. It’s fun to stay and cheer on your team.
Meet check in starts early for several reasons:
· Time required to check in all swimmers
· Both teams need to warm up
· Clerks need time to process scratches and re-organize the meet
· Prime the ready area and find/organize swimmers for the first set of relays
· The meet starts at 8am, immediately following the National Anthem