The swim team is open to any Ashbury resident, ages 5 – 18, with the ability to swim one unaided lap (25 yd length) of free style. As a member of the team, swimmers will improve their strokes, increase self-confidence, and learn teamwork in a fun and social atmosphere.
What is the purpose of Time Trials?
Time trials enable the coaches to place your child properly in relation to swimmers in his/her age group. Being placed properly will allow your son/daughter to compete against swimmers of comparable ability/speed.
Where do I find out what my child is swimming in the meet?
Events are entered on the website prior to the meet and final events are posted at the meet as positive check-in.Many swimmers and their families use “Sharpie” markers to write down the Event/Heat/Lane numbers on their hands when they do positive check-in.
What time do we need to be at a meet?
Evening meets (Tue/Thur) Saturday meets
What do we need to bring to swim meets?
• Warm clothing, sweats are great. Also bring more than one towel
• Sleeping bag or a blanket to sit on
• Goggles and swim cap
• Games, books, cards, etc. (something for the swimmers to do while they wait for their next event)
What happens at the meets?
• First you will need to sign your swimmer in at the positive check-in table make note of his/her event/heat/lane numbers
• If you are volunteering you will need to sign in as well and pick up your nametag
• Mark your swimmers hand with the event #, heat# and lane
• Swimmers then must sit in the designated team area
• There will be warm ups 45 minutes prior to the start of the meet
• Swimmers 10 and under will be assisted by the Bull Pen and Junior coaches with lining up for their events. It is the parent’s responsibility to make sure their swimmer is ready to line up
• Cheer for your fellow teammates!
If I am volunteering do I have to work after my swimmer is finished with his/her events?
Yes, unless you can find someone to replace you, or if your job is complete. Failure to complete your job could result in the loss of your worker deposit.
How long does a meet last?
Usually 3-4 hours.
How many events will my child swim?
The 6 and under age group swims in the 25yd freestyle and 25yd backstroke events.Ages 7 and older can generally expect to swim at least two events (freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke or Individual Medley (IM)) and one relay.
When will my swimmer get his/her ribbons?
The next day at practice they will be placed in your family folder.