Rules & Regulations
The following rules and regulations are established to ensure the health and safety of all who use our facility. Please review with your family and your guests who use the MHRA facility. Members are requested to inform family members and guests to obey the rules and instructions of the manager and staff.
Also, members are responsible to see that their guests observe the rules and regulations. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations will be considered sufficient cause to suspend pool privileges of the offending member for a period of one to seven days. Further action as deemed necessary will be taken by the Board of Directors.
General Rules and Regulations
- All members must sign in and out when using the pool.
- Members will be eligible to use the MHRA facility only after they have paid their annual dues and maintenance dues. Membership dues and Maintenance dues (if hours have not been worked) are expected to be paid on or before opening day.
- No member or guest shall give a gratuity to any MHRA employee or send an MHRA employee on a personal errand.
- The manager has the overall responsibility for operations of the facility. Concerns or suggestions about employees or management should be directed to the manager of the facility and/or the VP of Operations and the President of the Board. Members and guests shall not reprimand MHRA employees.
- Persons using MHRA facilities do so at their own risk and provide their own insurance. MHRA will not be responsible for any accident or injury in connection with such use.
- Costs of damage to MHRA property or other property will be charged to the responsible member. Members will be responsible and liable and will be assessed for any damages or expenses caused by their guests.
- NOT PERMITTED ON MHRA PROPERTY: dogs, cats, other pets, drugs, chewing tobacco, spitting, profanity, roller blades, skateboards or glass containers. Service animals are welcome.
- Cars shall proceed slowly, drive defensively and cautiously on MHRA property
- MHRA is not responsible for loss of personal property.
- Adult members are at least 21 years of age and have purchased a current membership. (see By-Laws).
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at MHRA activities.
- Smoking shall be permitted only in parking area.
- All swimmers are to shower before entering the pool.
- NOT PERMITTED ON DECK SURROUNDING POOL: running, pushing, wrestling, jumping, or other activities dangerous to self or others: food, beverages, gum, and toys.
- No toys or flotation devices are allowed in the pool except at the discretion of the lifeguard on duty.
- Life jackets will be allowed in the shallow end if the parents are in the water with the child. They are not permitted in the deep end, only the shallow end. Water wings are not allowed.
- NOT PERMITTED IN THE VICINITY OF THE DIVING BOARD; running, excessive jumping, more than one person on the board, diving or jumping off the side of the board, activities dangerous to self or others.
- Appropriate swimming attire is required; bathing suits, board shorts, rash guards are acceptable. Underwear, bras, t-shirts, athletic shorts, sweats or denim is not permitted. Swim diapers are necessary for all children who are not completely potty trained.
- Children who have not reached their 12th birthday before the opening day of the pool shall not be permitted in the pool area unless they meet ONE of the following requirements:
- Accompanied and supervised by someone 17 years or older.
- Have on file, in the office, a parent signed permission form for
being at the pool alone and has passed the basic swim test:
- Swim 50 yards
- Float for 2 minutes
- Tread Water for 2 minutes
(In either of the above, the pool manager has the authority to amend
these rules should disciplinary or other situations be present.)
- Swimmers under age 18 must be able to pass the basic swim test in order to use the deep end or the diving board. Otherwise, only if a parent/guardian is within arm's length of the child, at all times, will they be permitted in the deep end or to use the diving board. The use of flotation devices is not permitted in the deep end even when a parent is present.
- Swimmers under the age of 7 are only permitted in the water with a parent or guardian. The swimmer must stay within arms reach of the said parent or guardian at all times, even if they have a life jacket or can swim on their own.
- No person with a contagious skin disorder, infection, inflamed eye, or Band-Aids on will be admitted to the pool.
- Parents should direct their children to use the lavatory facilities.
The manager or manager designee shall be responsible for the conduct of all employees. Employees shall be accountable and responsible to the manager for their conduct. Employees while on duty shall not patronize guests and friends. Employees shall be under supervision of the manager who will operate the pool in accordance with rules established by the Board of Directors. Members shall not reprimand employees. Any concerns should be submitted to the VP of Operation or President of the Board.
Eligibility for Facility Use:
Marine Hills memberships consist of immediate family members only; those living in the household and/or dependent children. Anyone not directly related to the member or associate member will be considered a guest, see guest privileges for details. Members will be eligible to use the pool facilities only after they have paid their dues and special assessments. Dues are to be paid on or before the opening day of the pool facility annually. Each person in a member family is to be registered at the pool office where member's names will be kept on file. Members must check in and out at the office desk when entering and leaving the pool facility.
- Members will be permitted to bring guests.
- Guests must be accompanied by an adult of a membership, adhere to pool rules and regulations, and must leave the pool when the member leaves.
- Members must register guest by name and provide emergency information.
- Non-members will be admitted as a pool guest only by invitation for special programs or events as determined by the manager and/or Board. (Opening day, Membership Promotion, etc.)
- All guests will be charged a guest fee, to be determined by the Board. See fee schedule for current guest fees. It is the member's responsibility to pay the fee or collect it from the guest.
- Long Term Guests: Any guest, living outside our service area and residing with a member family for six weeks or more may be considered a "Long Term Guest‟ and be added to the membership for the duration of their stay. They will be granted membership privileges for their stay and will be removed from the membership at the end of their stay providing the following is provided:
- Member information
- Guest information: name, age, address
- Visit information: arrival and departure dates
- A fee of $5.00 per week per guest
- Short Term Guests: Any guest, living outside our service area and residing with a member family for a period of 2—5 weeks may be considered a "Short Term Guest‟ and may purchase a "Short Term Guest Card.” By purchasing a "Short Term Guest Card‟ the guest agrees to adhere to our guest policy and provide the following:
- Member information
- Guest information: name, age, address
- Visit information: arrival and departure dates
- A fee of $5.00 per week per guest. Short Term Guests will not be required to
pay guest fees associated with social functions.
- All minor guests must have a medical release form and a non-member waiver form signed by their parent(s) or legal guardian.
- Members are responsible for guests proper use of the facility.
- Guests must adhere to pool rules and regulations
- Pool Manager reserves the right to exclude any guest
- Nanny/Caregiver: Nanny/caregivers are allowed unlimited visits to the pool, with the member's children, without paying a guest fee. However, nanny/caregivers are not allowed to visit the pool without the member's children or member's and they may not bring guests to the pool. Nannies may bring their own children to the pool, while accompanied by the member's children. The nanny will be required to pay guest fees for their own children. Nannies and Caregivers must be accompanied by the member.
- Daycare: Members that run daycare in their home may bring the daycare children to the pool. The guidelines are; they must pay guest fees for each daycare child. If they purchase a guest card the guest card must have “Daycare,” written on the front and the daycare children's name written on the back. Emergency information [parents name and phone number] and any allergies or medical conditions will be written on the back of the card next the child's name.
- Non-Members entering the pool without paying will not be allowed in as a guest for the remainder of the year.
- A swim team is offered for MHRA members of good standing only (dues and fees paid).
- Registration and fees are handled by the Treasurer.
- Swim team coaches and staff (employees) conduct is accountable to the pool manager.
- Members are responsible for their own gear and equipment.
- Volunteer hours during swim meets are required for swim team membership.
- Courts are offered for the use of members.
- Guest privileges—Rules and Regulations Section “Guest Privileges” shall be followed.
- Sign in at the pool office before entering the court areas.
- NOT PERMITTED: loitering, leaning against the nets, and glass containers.
- Members may bring court guests, for a fee of $5.00.
- Members should report to the management any strangers found inside the tennis courts.
- Please restrict your court time when others are waiting. Limit your play to completion of existing set.
- Swim lessons are offered to both members and nonmembers.
- Registration and fees are handled online and at the pool office.
- Sessions are scheduled by age and ability.
- Rules and Regulations shall be followed.
- Nonmembers shall leave the pool area after swim lesson is over.
- Swim staff (employees) conduct is accountable to the pool manager.
All activities, i.e. pickle ball, volleyball, etc shall be conducted in a safe and orderly manner following the rules posted by management.
Facility and Equipment:
The pool facility and equipment shall be kept in good safe condition. The management and Board shall take the necessary action to see that the facility is being kept in good safe conditions and meets current standards and codes.
Membership Terms and Definitions
Primary Member - The person responsible for the membership. Minimum age requirement: 21 years of age.
Member - Those of direct relation to the primary member. These members can include spouse/partner, children, or grandchildren. Children are allowed to remain on the membership while they are considered dependents of the primary member, regardless of age. Date of birth is required for all members.
Nanny/Caregiver - Each membership is allowed to add a nanny or caregiver who is 17 years of age or older. Please see the rules and regulations for restrictions on nanny/caregivers. Nanny/caregiver information should be updated each year. Nannies and Caregivers are not permitted access to MHRA facilities without the presence of a member.
Daycare - Marine Hills offers accommodations for day care providers. Please see rules and regulations for information specific to daycare providers.
Summer visitors - Please see rules and regulations for our policies regarding short and long-term guests.
Swim Team Eligibility - Defined by the statues and governance of the South Seattle Swim League. Marine Hills Recreation Association is a proud participant.
MARINE HILLS RECREATION ASSOCIATION, INC
dba Marine Hills Swim &Tennis Club
Revision Effective Beginning with the 2014 Season
ARTICLE 1: OBJECTS
The purpose for which this Club is formed is to promote the health and general welfare of its members and in pursuance thereof to construct, own and operate a swimming pool and other recreation facilities, together with such incidental objects as are appropriate in the conduct of its community activities, in the county of King and state of Washington.
ARTICLE 2: MEMBERSHIP
2.1Classes of Members
2.1.6Retired – Grandfathered Membership
2.2Qualifications for Membership
22.214.171.124Shall be those who have been approved by a majority vote of the members of the Board and have paid in full the current annual dues, operating fund fees, maintenance fee, and special assessments as established by the Board for Family Memberships.
126.96.36.199Shall be accorded full privileges in the use of the facilities and participation in Club functions subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations.
188.8.131.52Shall be limited to a maximum of two hundred (200) total.
184.108.40.206Shall be those who have been approved by a majority vote of the members of the Board for either the first half or the second half of the summer season and have paid in full the current annual dues, operating fund fees, maintenance fee, and special assessments as established by the Board for Half-Season Memberships.
220.127.116.11Shall be accorded full privileges in the use of the facilities and participation in Club functions during the half of the summer to which their membership applies, subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations.
18.104.22.168Children of half-season members are not eligible for participation on swim team.
22.214.171.124Shall be those who have been approved by a majority vote of the members of the Board and have paid in full the current annual dues, operating fund fees, maintenance fee, and special assessments as established by the Board for Social Memberships.
126.96.36.199Shall have no dependent children below the age of 19.
188.8.131.52Shall be accorded full privileges in the use of the facilities and participation in Club functions subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations.
184.108.40.206Shall receive a number of Guest passes as determined by the Board.
220.127.116.11Number of Social Memberships is unlimited and not included in the 200 Family Membership limit.
18.104.22.168Family Memberships may be converted to Social Memberships upon meeting requirements.
22.214.171.124Shall be those who have been approved by a majority vote of the members of the Board and have paid in full the current annual dues, operating fund fees, maintenance fee, and special assessment as established by the Board for Tennis Memberships.
126.96.36.199Shall be accorded full use of the tennis court and locker room facilities and participation in Club functions subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations.
188.8.131.52Shall not be accorded full use of the pool, pool deck, and upper deck rentals.
184.108.40.206Shall receive a number of Tennis Member pool passes as determined by the Board.
220.127.116.11Number of Tennis Memberships is unlimited and not included in the 200 Family Membership limit.
18.104.22.168Shall be Family Memberships which have been active members for 10 consecutive years and have paid in full the current annual dues as established by the Board for Retired Membership.
22.214.171.124Shall not pay operating fund fees, maintenance fee, or special assessment.
126.96.36.199Shall have no dependent children below the age of 19.
188.8.131.52Shall be restricted to the owner and associate member living in the same household of the original membership.
184.108.40.206Shall be accorded full privileges in the use of the facilities and participation in Club functions subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations
220.127.116.11Number of Retired Memberships is unlimited and not included in the 200 Family Membership limit.
2.2.6Retired – Grandfathered Membership
18.104.22.168Shall be Family Memberships which have been active members for 20 consecutive years, prior to the year 2000.
22.214.171.124Shall pay no annual dues, operating fund fees, maintenance fee, or special assessment.
126.96.36.199Shall have no dependent children below the age of 19.
188.8.131.52Shall be restricted to the owner and associate member living in the same household of the original membership.
184.108.40.206Shall be accorded full privileges in the use of the facilities and participation in Club functions subject to the published and/or posted Rules and Regulations.
220.127.116.11Number of Retired Memberships is unlimited and not included in the 200 Family Membership limit.
18.104.22.168Shall consist of the remaining eligible members who are living in the same household of all classes of paid in full memberships.
2.3Annual Dues and Fees
2.3.1The Board shall fix the amount of dues, operating fund fees, membership fees, and terms of payment for each class of membership for the ensuing year, subject to approval of the active members.
2.3.2 No portion of the annual dues shall be refunded.
2.3.3Annual dues and fees are due by Opening Day of each year, and are in arrears if payment has not
been received by June 1. Dues and fees in arrears will incur late penalties.
2.3.4No member shall use the facilities of the Club until all dues and fees are paid.
22.214.171.124If any dues or fees owed by a member of the Club shall remain unpaid as of July 1 of the current year, the membership of any such person may be terminated by action of the Board at any regular or special meeting thereof.
126.96.36.199Written notice of the proposed termination, specifying the reason therefore, shall be furnished to the member sought to be terminated at least 15 days prior to any such meeting of the Board, and such member shall be afforded a reasonable opportunity to be heard.
188.8.131.52The notice requirement specified herein shall be satisfied by mailing or emailing a copy of said notice to last known address of the member as stated in the records of the Club.
184.108.40.206The name of any member so terminated shall be removed from the records of the Club and the membership shall be canceled.
220.127.116.11Failure or refusal to surrender the membership so canceled shall not continue in the holder thereof any rights of membership subsequent to the decision of the Board.
18.104.22.168The decision of the Board shall be final and conclusive.
2.3.6 Prorated dues may be charged, as determined by the Board, if one-third or more of the swimming
pool season is over.
2.3.7The Board is authorized to offer new member discounts and/or incentives.
2.3.8Requests for deviation from the policies set forth above may be reviewed by the Board, at its sole
discretion, upon receiving a written petition from any active member.
2.3.9Members shall be required to pay all charges and liabilities incurred by them or their families and their guests.
2.4.1Cause for suspension/expulsion shall be a violation of the bylaws or rules of the Club, or unsafe or offensive conduct.
2.4.2Any member pursuant to notice and hearing may be suspended from membership for a period not exceeding three months by a vote of two-thirds of the members of the Board of Trustees present at the meeting.
2.4.3 Any member may be expelled by a vote of two-thirds of the entire membership of the Board.
2.4.4The Board may empower any of the Trustees, or any responsible employee of the Club, to suspend pool or other recreation privileges of a member for a period not exceeding seven days; such suspension shall be reported in writing to the President within 24 hours thereafter.
2.5.1Family Memberships have voting privileges. One vote per Family Membership per issue.
2.5.2Half-Season Memberships have voting privileges. ½ vote per Half-Season Membership per issue, voting on all issues as in Family Membership voting rights..
2.5.3Social Memberships have voting privileges. ½ vote per Social Membership per issue, voting on all issues as in Family Membership voting rights.
2.5.4Tennis Memberships have voting privileges. ½ vote per Tennis Membership per issue, voting on all issues as in Family Membership voting rights.
2.5.5Retired Memberships have no voting rights.
2.5.6Retired - Grandfathered Memberships have no voting rights.
22.214.171.124The annual meeting of the members shall be held by the end of the pool season each year, at such time as shall be fixed by the Board, for the purpose of electing Trustees, examining reports of the officers, approving the budget for the next Fiscal year, and for other such business as may properly come before it.
126.96.36.199If the annual meeting is not held on the date designated therefore, the Board shall cause the meeting to be held as soon thereafter as may be convenient.
188.8.131.52The Board upon such notice shall call special meetings of the membership, as it shall determine necessary.
184.108.40.206Special meetings may be called upon the request in writing, of ten (10) voting members, filed with the Secretary, who shall call said meeting within thirty (30) days after filing the request.
2.5.9Place of Meetings
220.127.116.11All meetings of members shall be held at the principal office of the corporation or at such other place as designated by the President, the Board or by the members entitled to call a meeting of members.
2.5.10Notice of Meetings
18.104.22.168Notice and agenda of meeting shall be mailed or emailed to members, at least ten (10) days prior to the date thereof.
22.214.171.124The notice for the Annual Meeting shall contain the names of candidates nominated by the Nominating Committee.
126.96.36.199Notice shall be deemed delivered when deposited in the official government mail properly addressed to the member at his or her address as it appears on the records of the corporation with postage thereon prepaid.
188.8.131.52Notice shall also be deemed delivered when an email notice has been sent to the membership email on record.
184.108.40.206Twenty (20) percent of the members of the corporation entitled to vote, represented in person or by proxy, shall constitute a quorum at a meeting of the members.
220.127.116.11If less than a quorum of the members entitled to vote is represented at a meeting, a majority of the members represented may adjourn the meeting without further notice.
2.5.12Manner of Acting
18.104.22.168The majority of the votes entitled to be cast by the members represented in person or by proxy at a meeting at which a quorum is present shall be necessary for the adoption of any matter voted upon by the members.
22.214.171.124Member may vote by proxy executed in writing by the member.
126.96.36.199Such proxy shall be filed with the Secretary of the Club before the meeting.
188.8.131.52A proxy with respect to a specific meeting shall entitle the holder thereof to vote at the meeting or any reconvened meeting following adjournment of such meeting but shall not be valid after the final adjournment thereof.
2.6Dissolution of Club
2.6.1In the event of dissolution of the Club, all active membership account net assets will be divided equally among the active members.
2.6.2A deduction will be made from any such payment if there are fees owing from an active member.
ARTICLE 3. BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Board of Trustees shall manage the affairs of the Club. ("Board")
The Board shall consist of not less than seven (7) or more than eleven (11) Trustees, the specific number to be set by resolution of the Board.
The Board shall consist of adult active members or adult associate members. Only one member of a family may belong to the Board at one time. No Board member may be paid for his/her services.
3.4Election of Trustees
Trustees shall be elected at each annual meeting of members.
3.5Term of Office
Unless a Trustee dies, resigns, or is removed, he or she shall hold office for a term of three (3) years.
The Board shall hold its first meeting immediately after the annual meeting of the membership or as soon thereafter as is practical. By resolution, the Board shall specify the date, time and place for the holding of regular meetings without other notice than such resolution.
A special meeting of the Board may be called by or upon the written request of the President or three (3) members. Any committee designated and appointed by the Board may also call a special meeting.
3.8Place of Meetings
All meetings shall be held at the principal office of the corporation or at such other place within the State of Washington designated by the Board.
3.9Notice of Meetings
Notice of meetings may be given in any way fixed by the Board.
Five (5) Board members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any Board meeting. Any member of the Board may authorize another Board member to cast a proxy vote. Said proxy to be filed in writing with the Secretary prior to the meeting. If a quorum is not present at a meeting, a majority of the Trustees present may adjourn the meeting without further notice.
3.11.1They shall approve members and accept resignation of members.
3.11.2They shall create such committees as they deem necessary.
3.11.3They shall designate depository banks and execute instruments as the banks require them, and establish financial safeguards to prevent the misuse of funds.
3.11.4The Board of Trustees shall establish and maintain a capital account for the purpose of financing capital improvements and major repairs to the Club facility.
3.11.5They shall cause the books of account to be available to the membership to be examined annually.
3.11.6They shall be responsible for the conduct of the business pertaining to the construction and administration of the swimming pool, or other recreational facilities and community affairs.
3.11.7The Board is authorized to assess the membership as deemed necessary.
3.11.8The Board will abide by all articles of these bylaws.
3.12Manner of Acting
The act of the majority of the Trustees present at a meeting at which there is a quorum shall be the act of the Board, unless the vote of a greater number is required by these Bylaws, the article of Incorporation or applicable Washington law.
3.13Action by Board without a Meeting
Any action, which could be taken at a meeting of the Board, may be taken without a meeting if a written consent setting forth the action so taken is signed by each of the Trustees. Such written consents may be signed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which, taken together, shall constitute one and the same document. Any such written consent shall be inserted in the minute book as if it were the minutes of a Board meeting.
Any Trustee may resign at any time, delivering written notice to the President or the Secretary at the registered office of the corporation, or by giving oral or written notice at any meeting of the Trustees. Any such resignation shall take effect at the time specified therein, or if the time is not specified, upon delivery thereof and, unless otherwise specified therein, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make if effective.
A Trustee shall be removed from office if he/she has failed to attend two (2) consecutive regular meetings of the Board without being excused. Trustee shall be removed from Board at any Special Board Meeting called for that purpose, of which he/she has specific notice, by a vote of two-thirds of the Board. A Trustee may be removed from the Board at any Annual Meeting of the Membership by two-thirds vote, a quorum voting.
Vacancies due to death, expulsion, or resignation will be filled by members chosen by the Board to serve the remaining term. The position of Trustee may be filled by the affirmative vote of a majority of the remaining Trustees though less than a quorum of the Board.
3.17.1The Board, by resolution adopted by a majority of the Trustees in office, may designate and appoint one or more standing or temporary committees as deemed necessary, each of which shall consist of one or more Trustees.
ARTICLE 4. OFFICERS
4.1Number and Qualifications
4.1.1The President shall preside at all meetings of the members and of the Board. He/she shall appoint all committee members, except the Nominating Committee, subject to approval of the Board, and shall be an ex-office member of all committees except the Nominating Committee. He/she shall be administrative officer and as such, sign all the contracts and other written instruments as directed by the Board.
4.1.2The Vice-President shall serve in the absence or disability of the President and during such time shall have all his/her duties and powers. He/she shall act under the direction of the President and as director of day to day operations. The Club management team shall report directly to the Vice-President or Operations trustee.
4.1.3The Secretary shall keep the minutes, attend to the correspondence, send out all notices of meetings and perform such other duties as fixed by the Board.
4.1.4The Treasurer shall serve as the chief financial officer and maintain full and accurate accounting of receipts and disbursements, which shall be reflected in the books belonging to the organization.
4.2Election and Term of Office
The Board of Trustees shall, at the first meeting after the annual meeting, elect from among their number, a President, Vice President, Secretary, and a Treasurer. The terms of their office shall be one (1) year.
ARTICLE 5. STANDING COMMITTEES
Shall have the responsibility over the pool management and its operation and shall prepare and maintain rules of health and good conduct in connection with the operation of the pool and other recreation facilities.
Shall investigate and report to the Board all applications for membership.
Shall prepare the annual budget.
Shall be responsible for all activities pertaining to promotion of membership, and obtaining and maintaining membership. Shall coordinate social activities for the pool and the community.
5.5MAINTENANCE AND BUILDING
Shall have the responsibility for equipment, grounds, and other recreational facilities and their improvement and maintenance.
Shall be responsible for community affairs.
Shall consist of five (5) active members, three (3) members of which are elected, and two (2) of which are elected by the Board from among the Trustees. Members of the Nominating Committee are not barred from becoming nominees. Nothing herein contained shall prevent nomination from the floor. The Nominating Committee shall nominate the candidates for trustees. Candidates may also be nominated by letter filed with the Secretary no later than fifteen days prior to the annual membership meeting.
ARTICLE 6: AMENDMENT TO THE BYLAWS
6.1The Bylaws may be amended by an affirmative vote of a majority of the active members.
6.2Such vote shall be taken at a regular or special meeting or by mail or email, as determined by the Board of Trustees and must include provisions for certification of membership of the vote.
ARTICLE 7: ORDER OF BUSINESS
The order of business of the Marine Hills Swim & Tennis Club shall be governed by Robert Rules of Order Revised, unless otherwise provided for in the Articles of Incorporation or by the Bylaws of this Club.