FHD Team Guide
The Fort Hood Area Dolphin Swim Team is a nonprofit, parent-lead organization, where the positions are held by volunteers. Coaches are employees and paid a fee for their services.
Joining the Fort Hood Dolphins
Prior to joining the Fort Hood Dolphins, each swimmer undergoes an evaluation, or "try-out".
Once accepted on the team, the coaches determines which group the swimmer fits into based on skill level and speed.
Next, specific standards are discussed between the coach and swimmer, so the swimmer will know what is required. Swimmers are multidimensional and develop at different rates; sometimes they excel in some areas faster than in others.
Swimmers will be required to sign a commitment form.
The coaches must consider many things when evaluating whether a swimmer is ready for the next level. Each group assignment is closely scrutinized by the coaching staff and is evaluated and discussed prior to movement and is subject to future re-evaluation. Each placement is done in the best interests of the swimmer and no other criteria used.
Masters swimming is an important part of the Dolphin program. Masters Swimming is an opportunity for swimmers age 19 and over to maintain swimming fitness. Masters swimmers benefit from having a coach during practice, so they can improve and refine their individual skills. The groups’ emphasis is on specific technique training incorporated with interval and endurance segments.
Competitive swim meets are offered throughout Texas where Masters swimmers have a chance to compete against other Masters swimmers. This is a tailored program geared to meeting the individual needs of the swimmer under the tutelage of a certified ASCA Master Swim Coach. Link for the Fort Hood Masters listing on the South Texas Masters Swim Website is http://southtexasmastersswimming.com/places/fham.htm.
Welcome to the Fort Hood Dolphins!
Thank you for choosing to join our team. It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Fort Hood Area Dolphins (FHD). We hope you will find swimming with us both rewarding and challenging. We expect all team members will contribute to the success and growth of our team. Our coaches are committed to providing quality coaching and it is our intention to provide you or your child with a positive sport experience. We recognize that the primary goals of swimming as a sport are to learn skills, build self-confidence, and build team spirit. We also hope to build a strong relationship with parents in order to provide a positive atmosphere for everyone involved.
In this guide, you will find important team-related information. Swimming promotes high standards, builds muscular strength and endurance, and improves cardiovascular fitness.
Our team was organized to provide competitive swimming opportunities for swimmers in the Fort Hood area. Our members set the very foundation by which this goal can be reached and we encourage you to become actively involved. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have or provide comments. We are thankful you joined our team and we know you will be proud to be a Fort Hood Dolphin!
Dolphins Swim Strong!
Team and Membership Information
The Fort Hood Area Dolphins Swim Team is a year-round registered USA Swimming competition swim team, offering instruction and training for swimmers age 6 and up.
Who Can Join the Swim Team?
- Membership is open to all military and civilian residents of the Fort Hood Area.
- The team does not discriminate on the basis of sex, religion, or ethnic background.
- All members must join USA Swimming and agree to abide by all the rules and regulations established by the team, South Texas Swimming, Inc., and USA Swimming. (Adults may join USMS or Tri-/Fed in lieu of USA Swimming).
- The team does have practical limits to the swimmers who can join, with limited pool time and lanes we have available to use.
Required Swimming Abilities
- The primary purpose of the team is to train for competition.
- Individuals interested in fitness swimming or improving swimming for triathlons are welcome.
- From time-to- time, we will offer mini camps to further develop swimming skills.
- The coaching staff will evaluate each swimmer to determine the swimmer’s ability group.
- The competitive seasons are divided into Short Course (25 yard pools) from September to March and Long Course (50 meter pools) from April to August.
- Competitive swimming requires hard work and dedication.
- Not all swimmers, even those who swim well, are ready for the commitment necessary to succeed.
- A 5-day trial period is offered to all swimmers.
Practice Hours (See Practice Times Tab)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF MEMBERSHIP
1. By applying for membership, the individual swimmer (if over 18) or swimmer/parent(s) agree to adhere to the rules and conditions of membership of the team specified in the Constitution and Bylaws, published policies of the team, and the rules and provisions of USA Swimming, Inc., and South Texas Swimming, Inc. The team reserves the right to terminate membership as specified in the aforementioned documents.
2. All Swimmers must be registered with USA Swimming. Members of USA Swimming are covered with accidental insurance. You may elect to practice with the team for a five (5) day trial period. However, the swimmer will not be insured during this trial period. Swimmers who are not registered will not be allowed to practice or participate in any event requiring USA Swimming membership. USA Swimming membership fees will not be refunded for any reason. Registration cost for calendar year is determined by USA Swimming and current cost will be conveyed to the swimmers each year. Swimmers who are not registered will not be allowed to practice or participate in any event requiring USA Swimming membership. USA Swimming membership fees will not be refunded for any reason.
3. Monthly dues are payable in advance on the 1st day of each month and are considered late on the 10th. A late fee of $5 will be assessed if dues are not received by the 10th. All dues, including previous month, late fees and current month, must be paid before swimmers will be entered in any competition or allowed to continue at practice.
MONTHLY DUES (Please see New Swimmers/Fee Schedule Tab)
- Swimmers who terminate during a month will not receive a refund for dues paid. Members who fail to pay dues for a month in which they participate in training activities are subject to termination of membership.
- Swimmers will be allowed to take a break in membership when personal reasons warrant. The parent of a swimmer must discuss this with the coach and notify the treasurer in writing by the 5th of the month (including the expected length of the break) to maintain active status. Taking a break from membership for any reason other than medical necessity may affect the swimmer’s award status for that season.
- Swimmers whose behavior is disruptive or detrimental to the purpose or goals of the team are subject to disciplinary actions and / or dismissal from the team.
- The first month’s fees must accompany the registration form.
- The membership form must be completed and signed prior to the swimmer attending practice.
Fort Hood Weather-Related Pool Closures
- The pool is sometimes closed for inclement weather.
- The Abrams building is not grounded and therefore is required to close for at least 30 minutes after lightning has been observed in the area.
- In serve weather conditions, the pool sometime closes to allow Abrams staff to return home safely and in other cases the post may close requiring only job essential personnel to report to work.
- In any event, it is important for you to keep the pool number (287-4648) handy in case of bad weather.
- Please do not ask if the Fort Hood Dolphins are having practice, as the pool staff would have no idea. Instead ask if the pool is open or closed.
- Also, please check the website, call the coach, or check the Facebook page.
- If the pool is closed because of inclement weather, then please use your best discretion in your decision to attend swim practice if dryland is being offered.
- Safety of our parents and swimmers is our top concern.
- It is possible however, for our coaches to use pool closure time to enhance swimmers' techniques and their understanding of swimming by conducting dry-land training, watching videos or providing instruction. Our coaches will make every attempt to let you know the plans for an inclement weather day.
Drop Off Policy
- It is the Fort Hood Dolphins policy as well as Abrams policy that all swimmers are escorted into the pool area by their parent, guardian or babysitter.
- This is so that parents can verify that the coaches are available and on deck, as well as the pool is in working order.
- Please take the time to make sure that practice is on before stepping out of the pool area!
- If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to let us know!