Are you 15 or older and looking for a great summer job or a challenging career? American Red Cross Lifeguarding is the best place to start! Lifeguarding puts you in an exciting position, working as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could save a life too!
Lifeguarding will help you develop skills and experience that will be valued by colleges and future employers. It's a great way to demonstrate what you can offer. Colleges and employers look for applicants who can deal effectively with people, who have a take charge attitude and who are willing to work to develop new skills.
What You Will Learn
American Red Cross training makes learning fun and easy. Through classroom learning and hands-on practice, you'll learn:
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
- Rescue skills - in the water and on land
- First aid training and professional rescuer CPR - to help you prepare for any emergency
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities like interacting with the public and addressing uncooperative patrons
Course Schedule for 2018 at the Peddie Pool:
Lifeguard Training: includes manual & pocket mask, $325
This course is now a blended learning program offering students the ability to combine online learning assignments (approximately 7 hours) with in-class skill sessions (approximately 20 hours.) Students must register at least one week before class begins in order to complete the online learning portion before the first class.
- Course A - Sun. Jan. 14, 12-6 pm, Fri. Jan. 19, 5-9 pm, Sun. Jan. 21, 12-6 pm, and Fri. Jan. 26, 5-9 pm. CANCELED.
- Course B - April 15, 22, 29 & May 6, 2018, four consecutive Sundays, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Students must register by April 8, 2018 to complete the online portion by the first in-class date. Link to the online information will be sent to participants 1 week before the start of the class. Students MUST attend all four, entire classes. Bring a suit, towels, lunch & a drink.
Lifeguard Re-certification: must bring own manual & pocket mask, $125.
- LGT Recert - Friday Jan. 12, 2018, 5:00-9:00 pm with blended learning.
<--- CLICK ON THE LESSON SIGN-UP BUTTON TO VIEW THE CLASS DATES/TIMES/COST & TO REGISTER USING OUR ON-LINE PORTAL.
Prerequisite Skills for the Lifeguard Training Course:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Questions about these courses can be directed to the Aquatics Director, Beth Bright at 609-944-7564 or Aquatics@peddie.org.