Are you 15 or older and looking for a great summer job or a challenging career? American Red Cross Lifeguarding is the best place to start! Lifeguarding puts you in an exciting position, working as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could save a life too!
Lifeguarding will help you develop skills and experience that will be valued by colleges and future employers. It's a great way to demonstrate what you can offer. Colleges and employers look for applicants who can deal effectively with people, who have a take charge attitude and who are willing to work to develop new skills.
What You Will Learn
American Red Cross training makes learning fun and easy. Through classroom learning and hands-on practice, you'll learn:
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
- Rescue skills - in the water and on land
- First aid training and professional rescuer CPR - to help you prepare for any emergency
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities like interacting with the public and addressing uncooperative patrons
LG Course Schedule for 2018 at the Peddie Pool:
Lifeguard Training: includes manual & pocket mask, $325
This course is now a blended learning program offering students the ability to combine online learning assignments (approximately 7 hours) with in-class skill sessions (approximately 20 hours.) Students must register at least one week before class begins in order to complete the online learning portion before the first class.
- Course B - April 15, 22, 29 & May 6, 2018, four consecutive Sundays, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Students must register by April 8, 2018 to complete the online portion by the first in-class date. Link to the online information will be sent to participants 1 week before the start of the class. Students MUST attend all four, entire classes. Bring a suit, towels, lunch & a drink.
Lifeguard Re-certification: must bring own manual & pocket mask, $125.
- LGT Recert "B"- Friday, Mar. 16, 2018, 5:00-9:00 pm with blended learning.
- LGT Recert "C"- Friday, Apr. 6, 2018, 5:00-9:00 pm with blended learning.
- LGT Recert "D" - Friday, June 1, 2018, 5:00-9:00 pm with blended learning.
<--- CLICK ON THE LESSON SIGN-UP BUTTON TO VIEW THE CLASS DATES/TIMES/COST & TO REGISTER USING OUR ON-LINE PORTAL.
Prerequisite Skills for the Lifeguard Training Course:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Water Safety Instructor Course: April 20 - May 5, 2018, $350 p.p. CANCELED
This course trains Water Safety Instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program by developing their understanding of how to use the course materials, how to conduct training sessions and how to evaluate participants progress. The courses and presentations include Parent and Child Aquatics Levels 1 and 2, Preschool Aquatics Levels 1 - 3, Learn-to-Swim Levels 1 - 6, three adult courses as well as the Basic Water Rescue and Personal Water Safety courses and more. To enroll, instructor candidates must be at least 16 years of age on or before the last day of the instructor course and successfully complete the pre-course session which includes demonstration of swimming skill at Learn-to-Swim Level 4.
Blended Learning Class Schedule - 25 hours in classroom + 7 hours online
- Fri. Apr. 20, 5-9 pm
- Sat. Apr. 21, 10-2 pm
- Fri. Apr 27, 5-9 pm
- Sat. Apr 28, 10-3pm
- Fri. May 4, 4-7 pm
- Sat. May 5, 10-3 pm
Prerequisite Skills for the WSI Course:
To participate in the Water Safety Instructor course, individuals must be at least 16 years of age on or before the final scheduled lesson of the course and demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills:
1. Swim the following strokes consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4
Front crawl—25 yards
Back crawl—25 yards
Elementary backstroke—25 yards
2. Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling).
3. Tread water for 1 minute.
CLICK ON THE LESSON SIGN-UP BUTTON ON THE HOME PAGE TO REGISTER. THEN SCROLL DOWN TO WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR - REGISTER HERE.
Questions about these courses can be directed to the Aquatics Director, Beth Bright at 609-944-7564 or Aquatics@peddie.org.