About the Flushing YMCA
The first YMCA branch in Flushing opened before the area was part
of New York City, in 1895. It closed in 1897, however, due to
financial problems. Not until 1926 did a branch reopen in Flushing,
as part of the significant expansion of the Brooklyn YMCA, soon to
be called the Brooklyn and Queens YMCA. The branch, as envisioned
in 1920, served Bayside, Douglaston, College Point, Whitestone, and
other communities in the immediate area. Ground was broken in
December 1924, and the building was ready for occupancy in March
The Flushing branch broke new ground in several ways. First, by
1927 there were almost 900 women on the facility membership roles.
Second, the Flushing branch planners were responsible for expanding
the name of the association from the Brooklyn YMCA to the Brooklyn
and Queens YMCA, a change that occurred in 1924. The Flushing
branch became known for its swimming programs, and was the training
home of several Olympic swimmers, including Lynn Burke, who won the
gold in the 100 meter backstroke in 1960, and Wayne Anderson, a
breast stroke swimmer who competed in the 1964 Olympics. Still with
an avid swim team, the Flushing Flyers, the Flushing Y continues to
take home medals at city and state YMCA swim competitions.
Today, the branch continues to welcome visitors from around the
world access to its world-class swimming and fitness facilities.
The Flushing Y continues to build on its historic emphasis on
aquatics, providing swimming classes for all ages and levels of