Mike brings a very comprehensive background in swimming to our coaching staff.
Mike is originally from Windsor, and is excited to return back to where it all started. He has been involved in swimming since the age of 8 and has 16 years of competitive swimming under his belt. Mike has been coaching for over 10 years, most recently at the Markham Aquatic Club where his swimmers have medaled at Provincial Championships and Age Group Nationals, breaking National Age Group Records along the way. Mike was named as a Swim Ontario Female Age Group Coach of the year in 2012.
Mike has coached swimmers at every level ranging from developmental to national. Mike's philosophy caters to each individual with a strong emphasis on proper technique and aerobic fitness. "It doesn't matter what your swimming goals are, I will work with you to help achieve them".
During his career Mike has received many accolades. He was a national team member for 5 years and competed at the Commonwealth Games in 1998 and the Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000. He was team captain for the University of Michigan Swimming and Diving team where he helped the wolverines win 2 Big Ten Conference Championships. He has been named a 3 time Honourable Mention All-American and 1 time All-American. Mike is a 7 time Canadian National champion and held the 15-17 National Age Group record in the 1500 scm Freestyle.
Mike has a Masters of Human Kinetics from the University of Windsor and Bachelor of Science, Movement Science, Division of Kinesiology, from the University of Michigan.
- 1980 Olympic team member
- 1982 world championship team member
- Female Athlete of the year for University of Calgary
- Head Coach of Windsor Aquatic swim club
- Head Coach of Saskatoon Goldfins
- Age Group Coach for Saskatoon Goldfins
- Head Coach of University of Saskatchewan swim team
- Age Group Coach for the University of Calgary
- Coaching exchange in Northern China for 2 months
- Coaching for 13 years
- Level 3 Certification
- Bachelor Degree in Psychology from University of Windsor
- Graduate Teaching Degree from New Zealand
- St. Thomas of Villanova High School Swim Team Coach for 5 years
- Finalist at Canadian Junior National Championships in 1999
- Qualified for the New Zealand Open championships in the 50 butterfly 2006
- Ontario Masters Provincial Champion 2009
- Swimming coordinator of the 47th International Children Games, Windsor 2013
- 12th year of coaching
- Level 2 technical certification
- Elementary school teacher at GECDSB
SEAL and Swim 4 Success Coach
Joel is currently a third year Chemistry
student at the University of Windsor. He started swimming
competitively at the age of 8 and swam with WAC for 3 seasons
before starting university. Joel’s favorite stroke is
backstroke and he qualified for
both Eastern and Western Canadian
Championships during his time with WAC. He was also a
student coach for his Sandwich Secondary School swim team and
qualified for OFSAA for all four years. Joel is
Swimming Canada Certified Level I Coach and also has his NLS
certification. This is Joel's third year as a WAC
Age Group Development Coach
Olivia has been part of the WAC family
since she was 10 years old. As a competitive swimmer her favourite
event was 100m breast stroke. Throughout high school, she swam for
St. Thomas of Villanova and competed at OFSAA. She obtained a
degree in Disability Studies and Education from the University of
Windsor. She is currently working on completing a Masters degree in
Education. For the past 10 years, she has gained much experience as
a lifeguard, swim instructor, first aid instructor and swim coach.
Olivia is looking forward to coaching Age Group Development this
season and being a member of this team!