Head Coach Charles Yourd helps WAVES athletes of all ages improve and achieve success at higher levels.
Coach Yourd is certified by the American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA) as a Level 5 coach, ranking among the top 2% of ASCA member coaches. WAVES head coach since August 1998.
Coach Yourd contributes to a positive training environment of happy, inspired, hopeful, interested, improving athletes...who love to come to practice, and who ask to do more! Wow...what a fun team to coach!
Interested to learn more?...Contact Coach Yourd. "I love meeting new people and talking swimming. Parents love to talk about their kids. What could be more fun! Let's get to know each other, and find out how I can help you."
Higher levels of success are possible with the WAVES, Here are some achievements since 1998:
- since 1999 five Illinois high school (IHSA) state champions have come from the WAVES swim program: Lindsay Gendron, Caitlin Hamilton, Monica Drake, Justin Wolfe, Kyle Jackson.
- The only local athletes to become NCAA Division I All-Americans since the 1960s were developed in the WAVES program: Emily Hanson, Michigan; Caitlin Hamilton, Purdue; Lindsay Gendron, Tennessee; Monica Drake, Arizona; Jacob Hanson, Eastern Michigan
- Since 1999, 15 athletes developed to USA Swimming National Championships (summer meet): Noelle Peplowski, Eliot Kennedy, Melissa Pish, Grace Ariola,Justin Wolfe, Jacob Hanson, Lissa Tommerdahl, Lindsay Gendron, Matt Houser, Monica Drake, Caitlin Hamilton, Emily Hanson, Jamie Engan, Colleen McReynolds, Kyle Jackson.
- The only local athlete to compete in FINA World Championships: Emily Hanson 2009, and 2010 Open Water world championships.
- The only local athlete to become a USA Swimming National Team member since 1999: Emily Hanson 2009-2010, and 2010-2011 seasons.
- The only local athletes to compete in FINA World Junior Championships: Grace Ariola 2015 and 2017; Melissa Pish, 2015.
- The only local athete to compete in FINA World Junior Open Water Championships: Eliot Kennedy 2016
- The only local athlete to compete in Junior Pan Pacific Championshps: Grace Ariola 2016
- The only local athletes to become a member of USA Swimming National Junior team since 1999: Monica Drake, 2005-2006 season; Grace Ariola, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016 seasons; Eliot Kennedy, 2016-2017 season, Melissa Pish, 2015-2016 season.
- The only local athletes to get on the podium at USA Swimming National Championships or Trials meet, (top 8 finish against the best swimmers in the country of all ages): Grace Ariola, Monica Drake, Emily Hanson, Caitlin Hamilton.
- National Age Group record - Colleen McReynolds, 11-12 800m FS.
- 7-time Illinois Swimming Senior Coach of the Year: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005.
- Illinois Swimming Age Group Coach of the Year: 2002
- American Swimming Coaches Association Coach of Excellence: 2007
Prior to becoming the WAVES Head Coach, Yourd was an assistant coach with the National squad at the Santa Clara Swim Club, learning from International Swimming Hall of Fame Coach Dick Jochums, and helping them to the 1998 men's USA Swimming National Championship team title. Athletes in Yourd’s middle distance group at Santa Clara included Tom Wilkens, 2000 Olympic medalist (200 IM) and 1998 USA national champion (200 BS); Tate Blahnik, 1998 ranked 30th in the world (200 BK), and two teenage girls who were sub-1:59 in the 200 yd IM (that was still fast in 1998).
As an athlete, Yourd swam at the University of Michigan for USA Olympic Head Coach, Gus Stager, and was coached as young swimmer by Olympic 1500m freestyler, Bill Farley (4th at 1960 Tokyo Olympics); by NCAA Div 1 championship 1650 freestyle finalist Jack Daly; by National High School Champion team coach Dennis Hill, and by Hall of Fame coach Jack Simon.
Coach Yourd is a graduate of the University of California, Santa Barbara, with a BA in Economics. In his spare time he enjoys reading out-of-print history books and gardening.