Michael McGraw Murray
Coach Mike Murray will join Co-Head Coach, Marc Danin in September of 2017 to help lead Islanders Aquatics into a 'New Era" of competitive excellence and developmental success! Murray joins Islanders Aquatics after having led Victor Swim Club from 2013-2017.
In 2017, Victor Swim Club had its most successful year of swimming in its 40 year history. Over 12 Victor Swimmers competed at The Futures Championships, Junior National, Senior National/World Championship Trials and the US Open. At the 2017 Futures Championship, Victor finished 2nd overall and the women's team claimed the runner-up title for the 2nd consecutive season in Geneva, Ohio. Victor Swim Club also won its 3rd consecutive Niagara LSC SCY Championship Title, as well as the 1st ever Niagara LSC LCM Championship title. During that time, Victor Swimmers were awarded 16 National Age Group Top 10 time awards and Victor Swimmers represented their team at National Select Camp, National Open Water Select Camp, Diversity Select Camp and Zone Select Camps.
In 2016, Coach Murray and his staff led the Victor Swim Club to a Niagara LSC Championship Title, the second consecutive Championship for the organization. At the 2016 Speedo Champions Series, Victor's Women contingent finished 3rd overall, against some of the best teams in the country, including a top 10 overall finish for the club. At the 2015 Short Course Junior National Championships, Victor finished 32nd overall. Over the course of the 2016 Season, 6 Victor athletes would earn USA Swimming National qualifying times; including 3 Olympic Trial Standards. Swimmer Makayla Sargent led the way with a 22nd place finish in the 400 IM at the USA Swimming Olympic Team Trials, with a top 100 World Ranked time. 2015-2016 also saw 4 Victor Swim Club athletes earn USA Swimming Scholastic All-America honors and the women's squad qualified their 1st ever Junior National Relay in the 400 Medley. 4 Victor Swimmers were ranked in the top 100 overall for the USA Swimming IMX program and Makayla Sargent finished 2nd nationally. Coach Mike has also been featured in Swimming World Magazine's "Morning Swim Show," with host Jeff Commings and his work>
Over the course of Murray's four years with the club, Victor has earned the USA Swimming Club Recognition Level 4 Achievement Award, as well as the prestigious USA Swimming Bronze Medal for Club Excellence in both 2015, 2016 & 2017.
Mike Murray's USA Swimming Staff Appointments/USA Swimming Governance:
- 2013 USA Swimming Eastern Zone Select Camp Staff
- 2014 USA Swimming National Select Camp Featured Speaker; "Making Test Set's Meaningful."
- 2015 USA Swimming National Select Camp Staff
- 2015 USA Swimming National "Online Coaches Clinic," featured clinician.
- 2016 Appointed to USA Swimming House of Delegates as a "at large" member.
- 2017 USA Swimming National Select Camp Head Team Manager
Coach Mike's Coaching History:
- 2004-2005-Assistant Coach @ St. Lawrence University for Bob Clemmer, Mike's mentor.
- 2005-2006-Assistant/Aquatic Director @ Vassar College, Coached a 2006 All-American in 2 events.
- 2005-2007-Spent 3 Summers’ living in Palo Alto, CA working at Stanford University Swim Camp.
Marist College; 3 MAAC Conference Titles; 1 ECAC Title. Worked with Legendary Marist College Swim Coach Larry Van Wagner.
- Coached NCAA Woman of the Year Nominee, Kate Conard, Multiple Year MAAC Champion
- 2006-2010-Head Senior Coach Marist Swim Club- Now "Red Fox Aquatic Club." Coached multiple Speedo qualifiers, Junior National Qualifiers, US Open Qualifiers, and 1 US Olympic Trial Qualifier.
- 2006-2010-Served as a member of the Metropolitan Age Group Committee & as a Metro Zone Coach.
- 2010-2013-Head Coach, Director-Mercury Swimming INC; Increased VCC Score by over 38,000 points.
- 2011-2013-Aquatic Director, Livonia Central School.
- 2012-2014 Niagara Zone Team Coach/Niagara BOD Member-Safety Chairman.
- 2012-Nationally Published in The ASCA Spring Newsletter: "Reinventing, Reinforcing and Redefining American Educational & Athletic Culture."
- 2013-Named to USA Swimming Eastern Zone Select Camp Staff
- 2013-1 Athlete Named to USA Swimming National Age Group Top 10 Ranking (400 IM)
- 2014-Attended USA Swimming National Select Camp; Presented "Making Test Set's Meaningful," during the Coaches Track at The US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
- 2015-Nationally Presented "Making Test Set's Meaningful" during a USA Swimming>
- 2015-Victor Swim Club earns USA Swimming Bronze Medal of Excellence
- Makayla Sargent notches a 3rd place finish in the 400 IM @ Jr. Nationals in San Antonio
- 2015-Coach Murray Named to USA Swimming National Select Camp Coaching Staff.
- 2015-Alyssa Helak earns High Point award at USA Swimming Futures Championships
- 2016-Makayla Sargent places in the top 25 at USA Olympic Trials
- 2016-Victor Swim Club finished in 3rd Place at the Futures Championship.
- 2017-Victor Swim Club finished in 2nd Place at the Futures Championship.
- 2017-Coach Murray & Staff lead Victor Swim Club to its 3rd consecutive Niagara LSC Championship & 1st ever Niagara LCM Championship.
- 2017-Coach Murray named to USA Swimming National Select Camp, Head Team Manager
Coach Mike's Swimming Career:
- Swam for Club Coaches Jeff Maxwell, Ken McLaughlin and Jerry Adams as a club swimmer
- Swam for High School Coach Scott Young @ The Albany Academy.
- 1998 & 1999 NYS Finalist 50,100 Freestyle, 200 & 400 freestyle relays, multiple school record holder.
- 1999 Jr. National/US Open Qualifier-50,100, 200 free.
- 2000-Big East Qualifier-Swimming @ Rutgers University
- 2004 NCAA Qualifier St. Lawrence University; 2004; Multiple former school record holder.
- 2005 Nominee for Martha Finch Outstanding Senior Athlete, St. Lawrence University
Coach Mike graduated from St. Lawrence University in 2005 with a degree in English and minor in Education. Coach Mike is a Certified Pool Operator, American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor, USA Swimming Coach Member & American Swim Coaches Association Level 4 Certified Coach, which places him in the top 8% of all American Swimming Coaches. Mike has coached every level of swimming; from the lesson program through Masters and is a Private Instructor. He is the proud father of Claire (5) and Finn (3) Murray resides in Bellport, NY with his girlfriend, NIkki and her 3 children Makayla (19, University of Florida), Savannah (16) and Madison (13).
"I look forward to continuing to provide the very best programming for our community and I'm honored to work with our amazing athletes and staff. At Islanders Aquatics we seek to inspire each athlete to reach their full potential while learning to dedicate themselves to achieving excellence in the pool, but more importantly, in life. At Islanders we will be proud to dedicate ourselves passionately to dreams of our athletes. Our swimmers consistently strive to make their teammates better and in doing so, they develop values of trust, commitment and belief. This team is predicated>