Phillip J Smith
Head Senior Coach - Lakeville
Lakeville High School
University of Minnesota
Storm Swim Club
Head Lakeville SR coach 2002- Present
President of the Storm Swim Club 2006 - Present
ASCA Level 5 (Highest achievement possible)
Lead the Club to a Level 3 USA Swimming Organizational Achievement
Lead athletes to:
110 National Top Ten Swims and 14 #1 rankings
65 State Records
9 National Age Group Records
Over 45 athletes have gone on to swim in College
MSI (MN Swimming INC)
When you don’t find Coach Phil on the deck you will find him playing Ultimate Frisbee, fishing and any number of outdoor activities. Having grown up in Lakeville, he still considers Lakeville home and has a passion for making the community stronger. He also feels that continuing education is the key to staying connected to the sport that he has a passion for.
Charles N Smith
Head Senior Coach - Prior Lake
Twin Cities Swim Team:
- Assistant Coach: Mound/Minnteonka 2001-2002
- Head Coach in Waconia from 2002 - 2004
South Metro Storm
- Head Age Group Coach 2004 - 2007
- Head Sr Coach - Prior Lake 2007 - Present
- Vice President/Treasurer 2005 – Present
- Level 5 Swim Coach - only 3% of all coaches hold this
- Six-year letter winner at Lakeville High School
- Two time all state in 100 Fly and 200 IM
- Captain during his Sr Year
Track and Cross Country
- Four-time letter winner in both sports at Lakeville High School
- Two time all state in CC and two time all state in track
- Competed at the University of Minnesota in both sports for
- Lettered during his Junior year
- Two time Academic All-Big Ten
- Placed 6th in the country as an amateur at USA
Nationals in 2004
- Placed 27th in the country as a professional at USA
Nationals in 2005
- Won 10+ races in the Minnesota and surrounding area from 2003
Chuck is married to his lovely wife Nicole and they have son
named Braden! They love the outdoors, playing Ultimate
Frisbee, Mountain Biking and camping. If you’re up for a
ride, you can join Chuck on most sunny days at Murphy Hanrehan!
Garrett D Runing
AG1/AG2/AG3 Coach - Prior Lake
High School Years:
- Graduated from Eastview High School in 2011.
- Captain in 2010-2011 season.
- Four year letter winner in swimming.
- Three time state participant in 2008-2009 and 2010-2011 seasons.
- 2008-2009- 9th in 200 free relay.
- 2010-2011- 10th in 200 freestyle and 23rd in 500 freestyle.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, BS in Recreation Management 2015
- Four year letter winner in swimming
- Three time WIAC Conference Champion
- 2011-2012- 200 Freestyle
- 2012-2013- 200 Freestyle
- 2013-2014- 800 Freestyle Relay
- Two time school record holder
- 200 Freestyle
- 800 Freestyle relay
Garrett enjoys spending time with family and friends when he isn’t working. During the non-winter months he enjoys playing golf and spending time at the cabin. During the winter months he enjoys downhill skiing with his family. Garrett has a huge love for the sport of swimming and wants to do as much as he can to improve the younger generations of swimmers. He spent time in 2015 being a volunteer swim coach for the La Crosse Special Olympics.
Kendra R Lair
Ag1/Ag2/Ag3 Coach - Lakeville
Graduated in 2014 from Prior Lake HS:
- Was a 6 year letter winner in swimming and qualified for State
in the 100 and 200 Free as an individual (held the 200 Free record
for 2 years!) and the 200 Free and 400 Free Relay as well.
- Swam year round with Storm under Coach Chuck
Graduated 2018 from the University of Nebraska - Omaha
- 4 year swimmer at the Division 1 program
- Swam 100, 200 Back and 100, 200 Fly at the Summit League
- Majored in Public Health (works her day job at Presbyterian
Home and Sevices)
Gunnar L Teigen
Jr1/Jr2 Coach - Lakeville
Coach Gunnar started with Storm in the Fall of
He previously was the Head Coach of the Northfield Swim Club for
six years. During his time at the club Gunnar coached at all
levels. The club nearly doubled club membership and over 100
relay and individual records were broken. While with the club
he also served as the Camps Coordinator for MSI and was on the Tech
Planning Committee. Prior to Northfield he served as Interim
Head Coach for the River Falls Swim Club for one year.
Gunnar will also be entering his sixth year as an Assistant
Coach with Carleton College. Gunnar has helped with all
facets of the program including season planning, daily training and
recruiting. In the Fall of 2018 he also had the opportunity
to teach an Intro to Swimming course and managed the lifeguard
staff on campus.
Gunnar graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College in 2012 and
was a four year swimmer. He originally is from Hartland, WI
and went to Arrowhead High School where he swam all four years and
swam with the Lake Country Swim Team growing up.
When not coaching Gunnar enjoys playing basketball, playing a
fun board game and following Wisconsin sports (when the teams are
doing well). Gunnar is engaged to Steph Korba (former Storm
swimmer AND coach!) and the two currently reside in