Phillip J Smith
Head Senior Coach - Lakeville
Lakeville High School
University of Minnesota
Storm Swim Club
Head Lakeville SR coach 2002- Present
President of the Storm Swim Club 2006 - Present
ASCA Level 5 (Highest achievement possible)
Lead the Club to a Level 3 USA Swimming Organizational Achievement
Lead athletes to:
110 National Top Ten Swims and 14 #1 rankings
65 State Records
9 National Age Group Records
Over 45 athletes have gone on to swim in College
MSI (MN Swimming INC)
When you don’t find Coach Phil on the deck you will find him playing Ultimate Frisbee, fishing and any number of outdoor activities. Having grown up in Lakeville, he still considers Lakeville home and has a passion for making the community stronger. He also feels that continuing education is the key to staying connected to the sport that he has a passion for.
Charles N Smith
Head Senior Coach - Prior Lake
Twin Cities Swim Team:
- Assistant Coach: Mound/Minnteonka 2001-2002
- Head Coach in Waconia from 2002 - 2004
South Metro Storm
- Head Age Group Coach 2004 - 2007
- Head Sr Coach - Prior Lake 2007 - Present
- Vice President/Treasurer 2005 – Present
- Level 5 Swim Coach - only 3% of all coaches hold this
- Six-year letter winner at Lakeville High School
- Two time all state in 100 Fly and 200 IM
- Captain during his Sr Year
Track and Cross Country
- Four-time letter winner in both sports at Lakeville High School
- Two time all state in CC and two time all state in track
- Competed at the University of Minnesota in both sports for
- Lettered during his Junior year
- Two time Academic All-Big Ten
- Placed 6th in the country as an amateur at USA
Nationals in 2004
- Placed 27th in the country as a professional at USA
Nationals in 2005
- Won 10+ races in the Minnesota and surrounding area from 2003
Chuck is married to his lovely wife Nicole and they have son
named Braden! They love the outdoors, playing Ultimate
Frisbee, Mountain Biking and camping. If you’re up for a
ride, you can join Chuck on most sunny days at Murphy Hanrehan!
Emma N Lawrenz
JR1/JR2 Coach - Lakeville
Emma started swimming with the Detroit Lakes Sunfish at 7 yrs
old. After moving to Minnetonka she swam for Foxjets, where she was
a 3x USA Swimming Top 10 Age Group swimmer, swam in 7 Junior
National meets, and qualified for USA Swimming SR Nationals twice.
On Foxjet she was awarded the Leadership Award, Coaches’
Award, and Best Attendance.
For high school she swam 2 years for Detroit Lakes High School
and 3 years for Minnetonka High School. She qualified for the high
school state meet in 20 out of 20 events over the 5 seasons and was
an All-American and State medalist in 12 events.
She attended Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL
on swimming and academic scholarships. In college she was
All-Conference in 28 events over 4 years, including 22 Top-3
Finishes, as well as First Team All-Conference all 4 years. Her
senior year she was Captain and led her team to the Conference
Championship, Undefeated Dual Meet Record, and 4th Place
Team finish at NCAA Championships, with 5 NCAA All-American swims.
As a student she majored in Biology with a pre-med focus and
minored in Math and Psychology. She was admitted to medical school
but made the last minute decision to not go into medicine.
She is an avid student of the sport of swimming and is
considered an absolute swim nerd by her coaching colleagues. She
was coached by a number of nationally recognized coaches, led by
her college coach, Hollie Bonewit-Cron, who coached Ryan Lochte at
U of FL. Coach Emma’s coaching philosophy is centered around
developing swimmers that still love swimming when they’re 18+
and her belief that “a happy swimmer is a good
Emma also loves dogs and is the proud owner of a bernedoodle
puppy named Sirius after a character from her favorite book series.
Garrett D Runing
AG1/AG2/AG3 Coach - Prior Lake
High School Years:
- Graduated from Eastview High School in 2011.
- Captain in 2010-2011 season.
- Four year letter winner in swimming.
- Three time state participant in 2008-2009 and 2010-2011 seasons.
- 2008-2009- 9th in 200 free relay.
- 2010-2011- 10th in 200 freestyle and 23rd in 500 freestyle.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, BS in Recreation Management 2015
- Four year letter winner in swimming
- Three time WIAC Conference Champion
- 2011-2012- 200 Freestyle
- 2012-2013- 200 Freestyle
- 2013-2014- 800 Freestyle Relay
- Two time school record holder
- 200 Freestyle
- 800 Freestyle relay
Garrett enjoys spending time with family and friends when he isn’t working. During the non-winter months he enjoys playing golf and spending time at the cabin. During the winter months he enjoys downhill skiing with his family. Garrett has a huge love for the sport of swimming and wants to do as much as he can to improve the younger generations of swimmers. He spent time in 2015 being a volunteer swim coach for the La Crosse Special Olympics.
Kendra R Lair
Ag1/Ag2/Ag3 Coach - Lakeville
Graduated in 2014 from Prior Lake HS:
- Was a 6 year letter winner in swimming and qualified for State
in the 100 and 200 Free as an individual (held the 200 Free record
for 2 years!) and the 200 Free and 400 Free Relay as well.
- Swam year round with Storm under Coach Chuck
Graduated 2018 from the University of Nebraska - Omaha
- 4 year swimmer at the Division 1 program
- Swam 100, 200 Back and 100, 200 Fly at the Summit League
- Majored in Public Health (works her day job at Presbyterian
Home and Sevices)