Head Coach/Program Director
The following was written on Coach Marci Callan's behalf, who on May 12, 2010 was the recipient of the prestigious Jean Giambrone Service Award. Since 1981, this accolade has been presented annually to a woman who has made an exemplary lifetime commitment to women's sports. -
Flash back 40 years ago. Marci Callan had just finished three long years of practicing with the boys swimming team at Shaker High School in Latham, NY. Shaker didn't have a girls squad, and in those pre-Title IX days, she was barred from competing with the "boys only" team in varsity meets, even though her times were better than some of her male classmates. "That was quite a learning experience, especially dealing with the inequities and having to survive in a strictly male environment," recalls Callan. But having to humbly swallow those bitter pills proved to be just the motivation she needed in 1975 when she began her life's work with FAST (FAIRPORT AREA SWIM TEAM). "Title IX legislation had just been passed (in 1973), opening the door for girls sports on all levels. From day one, I have made sure that FAST's females always have the same opportunities as their male counterparts."
Under Callan's 39-year leadership, FAST's eight-person coaching staff nurtures an environment filled with opportunity and tradition for its 200 plus members, which include boys and girls ages five to 33, who range in skill levels from beginner to potential Olympians.
A Fairport resident since 1979, Callan has helped FAST become a powerhouse in the Niagara LSC (WNY & Southern Tier) of the Eastern Zone (11 states) of USA Swimming, which is the national body that supports, governs, and feeds the United States Olympic Swimming Team. Since 2008, Callan has served on USA Swimming's Board of Directors (she's one of just three women on this national board). Under Callan's tutelage, FAST has consistently has athletes qualify for and compete at junior and senior national championships for over 30 years. Dozens of FAST's athletes have won Section V High School Swimmer of the Year Awards, state scholastic individual titles, and NCAA All-American honors. Three members (all from Fairport H.S.) have won the Local High School Athlete of the Year Award at previous Press-Radio Club Dinners: Lindsey Crane (1998), Jeff Wood (2004), and Erin McGraw (2006). FAST's Ricky Henahan (Irondequoit) received the 2007 Amatuer Athlete of the Year Award. From 1995 to 2007, FAST dominated the head table at the WHAM Sportswomen of the Year Awards Luncheon with eight finalists, including four winners in the high school category (Fairport's Amy Cottrill in 1996, Crane in 1999, Holly Williams of Palmyra-Macedon in 2002, and McGraw in 2006. At the 2004 luncheon, FAST received the WHAM Outstanding Achievement Award, with Callan accepting. FAST has also produced six U.S. Olympic Trials qualifiers: Fairporters Laura Peel (1988), Angie Blaser (1992), and Cottrill (2000); Henahan (2008), and Canadaigua's Brittney Kuras & Heather Savage (2012).
Now in her fifth decade at FAST's helm, Callan has made sure that her club is more than just a haven for the swimming elite. FAST offers a year-round program (with need based scholarships available) that provide lessons not only for the general population, but also for children with special needs.
Finishing her final term as the general chair of the Niagara LSC (WNY & Southern Tier), Callan oversees 6,600 swimmers from 76 member clubs. She has also served as the LSC's camp coordinator and has been the meet director for the Niagara Long Course Classic.
On the Eastern Zone (11 states) level, Callan has served as the coach-director as well as host of the Eastern Zone Spring Championships, which brought more than 700 competitors (ages 9-18) each year. In 2008, Callan became the first woman from the Eastern Zone ever to be elected to the board of directors of USA Swimming.
A three year (2005-07) chair of the USA Swimming Age Group Planning Committee, Callan received national recognition in 2007 when she was honored with USA Swimming's prestigious Outstanding Service Award.
She has been a leader of the Fairport Central School's aquatic staff since 1982, and is currently the co-varsity girls coach (since 1994) and a co-coach of the boys and girls modified team (since 1999). Her present duties also include conducting aquatic cross-training for Fairport's track team and aquatic therapy/rehab for all Fairport's student athletes.
Coach - Senior Program
Coach Mike Kennedy is entering his 27th season as a member of the FAST coaching staff. With FAST, Mike has coached all levels, but works primarily with the Senior (13 & over) program. He has also been the head coach of the girls & boys varsity swimming teams at Fairport High School, entering his 23rd season.
As a young boy, Mike began his swimming competitive swimming career with the FAST club system in the mid-70's. His parents were early 'boosters' of all facets of our competitive swim program at Fairport, whether it be organizing car-pools for young swimmers who needed a lift to practices/competitions, or painting the inside walls of the FHS pool area in the early 80's, Mike's family paved the way for our booster program which has since benefitted hundreds of Fairport high school swimmers for nearly 40 years.
- 2014 SECTION V SWIMMING HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
- 2013 FAIRPORT HIGH SCHOOL WALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
Coach Mike Kennedy with FAST:
- Entering 27th season at FAST
- Coached FAST to 6 top-10 finishes at USA Speedo Northeast Championship
- 4x USA Swimming National Zone Distance Camp Coach. *Appointed Head Coach at 2000 Camp at Buffalo site which featured Olympian, Ian Crocker. Through this program, worked alongside Olympic Coaches: Joe Bernal and Bud Macallister.
- Coached FAST's Amy Cottrill to an Olympic Trials Qualification in 2000.
- 5x appointed to Niagara Zone Team Coaching Staff.
- 1993 Walt Schuleter Coach of the Year Award - National athlete stroke technique contest, Mike coached Greg Danner to #1 ranking within this accolade.
- Over the past 20 years FAST graduates Mike has coached have attended - Stanford, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Harvard, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Virginia and Tennessee (to name a few).
Coach Mike Kennedy with Fairport High School:
- Section V, Class A Boys Coach of the Year: 2008, 2011, 2012.
- Section V, Class A Girls Coach of the Year: 2014.
- Fairport-Perinton Post Coach of the Year: 2003.
- 2012-highest scoring Section V Team at NYS Championship, Fairport HS Boys.
- Fairport HS Boys #1 NYS: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012.
- Fairport HS Boys Sectional Champions: 2000, 2001, 2002.
- Fairport HS Boys Monroe County Champions: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012.
- Fairport HS Girls #1 NYS: 1994, 1997, 1998.
- Fairport HS Girls Sectional Champions: 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Fairport HS Girls Monroe County Champions: 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999 (tri-league), 2000, 2001, 2006.
Coach Mike Kennedy as a swimmer:
- Member of FAST since 1975.
- Former club record holder in multiple age groups and events.
- Empire State Games Gold medalist.
- FAST's first Junior National competitor, 1983- 100 yard freestyle, at University of Florida's pool.
- Two-time high school All-American at Fairport High School.
- Anchor of the NYS Record-holding 400-yard free relay team (3:10.07) which stood for 10 straight years.
- Member of first FHS boys team to win a Section V Championship (1981).
- Member of first FHS boys team to be ranked #1 in NYS (1982).
- 1984 - Top high school recruited swimmer. Recruited by University of Tennessee's 1984 Olympic Coach, Ray Bussard.
- Attended SUNY Oswego, where he was a SUNYAC Champion, All-American, and conference record holder. Mike would go on to earn degrees in psychology.
Coach - Senior Program
Callan is now in his 16th season as a member of the FAST
coaching staff. During that time Coach Callan has worked directly
with our senior (13 & over) programs. He also co-coaches
the varsity boys swimming team at Fairport High School, having
finished his 12th season this year. In
addition, he works for the Fairport Central School District as an
FAST, Coach Callan has coached numerous athletes who have
participated and excelled at all levels of competitive
swimming - including the Niagara LSC, Eastern Zone, USA
Sectionals, Grand Prix, Junior and Senior Nationals, US
Open, World Cup Circuit, Open Water Nationals, Olympic
Trials and US MASTERS Nationals. In 2011 he was
presented with the Niagara LSC Senior Co-Coach of the Year Award.
Coach Callan's technical philosophy
teaches swimmers the "BIG 4", invented by the world-renown
swim coach Charles E. 'Red' Silvia of Springfield College.
These teachings focus an athlete on the efficient
application of muscular force in swimming while being as inertial
present: Fairport Area Swim Team (FAST). Co-Senior
Coach. 16th season.
present: Fairport HS Varsity Boys. Assistant Coach.
NYS High School Coaches' Certification. Monroe Community
Niagara LSC Senior Co-Coach of the Year.
Coached Greg Danner to a Masters National record in the
University of Southern California. Dave Salo Swim Camp.
- 2004: USA
Swimming National Select Camp. University of Tennessee Site.
Marist College Athletics. Assistant Sports Information
Marist Swim Club. Head Age Group Coach (12 & Under
Marist College Swim Camp. Assistant Camp
United Swimming Clinics. Mercersburg Academy (PA).
Callan as an athlete:
Swam for Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY, on a swimming
scholarship, under Marist's longest tenured Coach, Larry VanWagner.
While there, Callan specialized in the IM, backstroke and
distance freestyle. At one time, Callan held two school
records in the 400 and 800-yard freestyle relay events. He
was also the team captain of Marist Men's last undefeated team in
its history (2000-01 season). Graduating in 2001, Callan
earned a degree in Public Relations with a Business Administration
minor. After graduation he did a 10 month internship in
Marist's sports information department where he was the primary
media contact for 10 Division 1 sports teams.
Swam for Fairport High School. A versatile swimmer,
Callan competed in 5 different individual events at 4 different
Sectional Championships. By his senior year Callan was a team
captain, leading a Fairport team that won its 17th consecutive
Section V Championship (standing record), was ranked #1 in NYS and
Swam for FAST. Competed at junior nationals.
Selected to participate in two USA National Zone Distance
training camps (based on 1,650-yard free time & individual rank
in the Eastern Zone). Competed and finaled at Zones. Empire
State Games medalist.
Callan serving the Niagara LSC:
- 2015-present: Technical Planning
Senior Vice Chairman
- 2010-present: Technical Planning
- 2011: Senior
- 2010: Junior
- 2009: Board
of Review member
- 2004-present: 4x Niagara Zone Team Coaching
Senior Athletes' Representative
Junior Athletes' Representative
Ann Marie Crye
Coach - Age Group Program
Coach Ann Marie Crye is starting her third season as a member of the FAST Coaching Staff and works with our age-group swimmers (12 & under). She has recently been a a coach for the Golden Comets (GCOM) for the past few years. She grew up in the Buffalo area and swam with the Cheektowaga Stingrays Swim Club. She swam for Maryvale High School and went on to swim at the University at Buffalo. She earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in French and Spanish in 1994 and her Master's Degree in Foreign Language Education in 2000. She spent her junior year abroad in Grenoble, France where she swam with the club team there. After college, she started her teaching career at Letchworth Central School where she spent 10 years as a French and Spanish teacher and swim coach for the Varsity and Junior High Swim Teams and Letchworth Splash Swim Club. Ann Marie currently teaches French and Spanish at Victor Junior High (Since 2005). She lives in Avon with her family and her two daughters (Jessie and Joleigh) swim with FAST.
Ann Marie as a Coach:
- Letchworth Varsity Swim Coach 1995-2005.
- Letchworth Modified Swim Coach 1995-2005.
- Letchworth Splash Swim Club Head Coach 1995-2005.
- Victor Modified Swim Coach 2005-2013.
- Golden Comets (GCOM) Swim Coach 2011-2014.
- LCAA Coach of the Year 1996, 2002.
- Section V, Class C Champions 2001.
Ann Marie as an Athlete:
- Niagara Zone meet qualifier 1982-1989.
- NYS meet qualifier at Maryvale High School 1984-1988.
- UB Swim Team MVP 1990, 1991, 1994.
- NCAA Division II All-American 1990-1991.
- UB Female Athlete of the Year 1994.
- Former UB school record holder in the 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 Breast, 200 Breast, 200 Back and 1000 Free.
- Inducted into Maryvale High School Hall of Fame in 2000.
- Inducted into the University at Buffalo Hall of Fame in 2001.
- USMS currently holds 41 Niagara Masters records.
- USMS Top Ten National Rankings - 37 events 2010-2013.
- USMS All-American Achievement 2010 (400 IM SCM).
FAST Swim School Director
The FAST Swim School announces the beginning of our 2016-17 swim lesson adventure. Fairport Swim School Director Carly Callan returns to lead one of the most talked about swimming instructional programs state wide and beyond. Carly presents a leadership instructional quality with passion and excellence, blending a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations and Business, a graduate of the Disney Leadership College program with a concentration on children’s activities and swimming. What more can you ask for when working with children and their swimming journey. Carly’s fun professional leadership style and service excellence has been recognized by Disney World and Olive Garden Darden Company. Her swimming adventure started at age 6 with FAST and continued as a varsity student athlete at Fairport High School. Her socially, culturally and diverse rich experiences with FAST swimming, team travel and competing experiences in Australia, Hawaii, Mercersburg Academy, University of Tennessee and Puerto Rico have benefited and enriched hundreds of children who have experienced the swim school with the superior work by Carly and the handpicked staff. The FAST Swim School is a year round program which also offers Aquatic Adaptive Services. firstname.lastname@example.org www.fairportswiming.com