Girls' Water Polo Coach
Boys' Swimming and Diving
Girls' Swimming and Diving
Coach T Sorenson joined the Mission Viejo High School coaching staff in February 2016. She began coaching swimming in 1989 and has coached with the Mission Viejo Nadadores, Burnsville, and South Metro Storm swim clubs and high school girls at Prior Lake High School. She has coached swimmers from novice to national qualifiers and masters swimmers. Age group swimmers she has coached include several state and zone record holders and one national age group record holder.
As the head girls swimming & diving coach for the Diablos, Coach T is most excited about how the girls have come together as a team and are beginning to understand the relationship between consistently working smart and hard and success. Creating and maintaining a positive and supportive team culture is critical to everything else we do as a team. As we are getting those aspects of the team more firmly in place, we are seeing more girls more fully committed to training, and as a result, swimming faster and diving better.
Since Coach T joined the Diablos, the girls logged 4 al-time top 10 performances, had 6 athletes compete in CIF Southern Section Division I championship finals, and made their first-ever appearance at the CIF State Championships in 2018.
Coach T also served as a high school communications teacher, K-12 principal, and then district superintendent in Minnesota. She was a member of the University of St. Thomas licensure review panel, a panel that evaluates candidates for superintendent licensure in the state of Minnesota. In March 2012 she retired from the superintendency and focused her career in coaching. Coach T received several honors while working in public schools including the following:
·Prior Lake High School Coach of the Year, 2005
·Best Buy Te@ch Award winner, 2005
·Knowledge Points Outstanding Teacher, 2005
·Minnesota Teacher of the Year nominee, 2005
·Advisor of the Year, 2003
·Led production of the first all-digital high school yearbook in Minnesota, 2003
Earlier in her career, Coach T served as a Marketing Manager (1996-1998) and a Marketing Coordinator (1995-1996) for Medtronic, a multi-national medical device company. She also worked as the Assistant Editor for the American Phytopathological Society (1989-1990) until taking time off to stay at home with her first child.
Coach T earned her B.S. from Iowa State University, with a double major in English and speech communication with an emphasis in science. She earned her M.A.T. in education and Ed.D. in leadership, policy, and administration from the University of St. Thomas. As part of her academic and swimming pursuits, she has shared her knowledge through several publications and presentations including:
- Voight, B. & Sorenson, T. (2013). “Our Favorite Drills and Workouts.” Presented online via Club Excellence Wednesday, USA Swimming.
- Sorenson, T. (2012). Pay-for-Performance Redux: A Comparative Case Study of Four Districts’ Experiences in One State.Ann Arbor, MI: ProQuest.
- Sorenson, T. (2012). “Pay-for-performance Redux: One School District’s Experience.” Presented at the Midwest Qualitative Research Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Udoibok, K. & Sorenson, T. (2009), “Truancy: The Gateway to Adult Crime.” Presented at the Minnesota School Boards Association Annual Leadership Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Cacich, J., Jeffrey, D., Collins, S. Malovhr, S. Sorenson, T. Bequette, M., & Lee, J. (2007), “Nuts & Bolts: Funding, Agreements, and Curriculum.” Presented at the Second Annual K-14 Symposium of the Alliance for Successful Student Educational Transitions, Anoka, MN.
Coach T began swimming in high school and improved quickly; competing at the national level and earning high school All-American honors her senior year. She earned all-conference recognition multiple times while swimming at Iowa State University. Coach T has been swimming with Mission Viejo Nadadores Masters Team since 2009 and continues to compete at the national level in US Masters Swimming. She has also earned several accolades in her swimming career including:
·U.S. Masters’ Swimming national record 4 x 200 m. free relay (2011)
·U.S. Masters’ Swimming National Top 10, free (2009-2012), back (2011), breast (2011), individual medley (2009-2011), fly (2012)
·Iowa State University swimming letter winner (1985, 1987-1989), All-Conference (1985, 1988, 1989)
- National competitor (1984)
- High school All-American (1983)
Coach T still holds her high school team and pool records in the 100 and 200 free. They have been unbroken for more than 30 years.