2019 Florida Open Water Championships
2019 Florida Open Water Championships
Gator Swim Club will be competing at the 2019 Florida Open Water Championships at the FGCU Waterfront, March 24, 2019. This is a one-day, multi-event, open water competition held in a beautiful freshwater venue in Ft. Myers. Please note that this event is different from the Open Water Festival held in previous years. Read the following information thoroughly.
Entries will be open to swimmers in Orange, Silver, Gold, Senior, Sectional, National, and Masters groups. Swimmers who would like to compete must get permission from their Group Coach and consult with Coach Erin before signing up. For all groups (including Masters), the sign-up deadline is March 10, 2019. Masters must register via the GSC website, and must also complete a one event USA Swimming registration on their own, HERE.
If you have never participated in an open water event before, this is a great opportunity to experience open water in a calm, freshwater venue. For those who may be nervous about trying open water, note that we will have an “Open Water 101” information session and an “open water in the pool” practice for those who choose to compete. The weekend will be structured a little bit differently than a typical away meet, including a practice swim in the lake venue on Saturday afternoon, and a team dinner on Saturday night. We will be getting special GSC Open Water Team shirts, as well.
Please read through the following information carefully. After reading through it, please contact Coach Erin (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Open water swimming is the oldest kind of swimming, and is a rapidly growing part of our sport. Just like FLAGs and Senior Champs, this is a state championship meet that GSC can win, if enough swimmers attend. We hope that you will choose to compete!
Open Water Team Practice & Meet Itinerary
Information regarding our Open Water in the Pool practice, and team events on Saturday, March 23 will be posted here as it becomes available. For those looking to make their hotel reservations in advance (highly recommended) you will only need a hotel for one night, Saturday, March 23rd. Our practice at the lake venue and team dinner will be in the late afternoon and early evening, so there will be no need for anyone to leave Gainesville any earlier than Saturday morning.
Thank you for your patience!
Gator Swim Club Open Water Team T-Shirts
Swimmers (and parents!) who attend an open water event with GSC are eligble to purchase GSC Open Water Team t-shirts. The designs change from year-to-year. The 2019 Open Water Team t-shirt design is below. This year's shirt is a very soft, slightly heathered royal blue. They will be $19.00 per shirt. You may order your Open Water Team shirts at via the online order form, below.
GSC Open Water Team T-Shirt Order form available HERE.
Florida Swimming Open
Water Championships Meet Information
- Date: Sunday morning, March 24.
- Entry Fee: $60.
- Includes cap, t-shirt, and goodie bag.
- GSC Open Water Meet Fee: $20
- This event is comprised of five
different races, which serve as the Florida LSC Open Water
Championships – this is the open water equivalent to
FLAGs or Senior Championships:
- 10 & Under 800M. An out and back loop of a 400m course.
- 11 & 12 3K. Loop course.
- 13 & 14 5K. Loop course.
- 15 & 16 5K. Loop course.
- Open 5K. Loop course.
- In-water start, beach finish for all races.
- All 5K races will run concurrently, with swimmers' placements sorted out at the conclusion of the swim.
- This event is comprised of five different races, which serve as the Florida LSC Open Water Championships – this is the open water equivalent to FLAGs or Senior Championships:
- Age group swimmers need to meet certain qualification standards in order to compete in this race.
- A swimmer's age for this meet will be determined according to FINA rules, which means a swimmer's age will be their age as of December 31, 2019.
- For any age group, proof of completion of a sanctioned open water race will suffice as a qualification standard, OR
- For the 10 & Under race, swimmers must have a BB time in an event 200y or longer.
- For the 11 & Overs, swimmers must have a BB time in any event 400y or longer.
- See Applicable Qualification Standards charts, below.
- Florida Open Water Zone Team
- These races will serve as the selection event for the 2019 Florida Swimming Open Water Zone Team. Selected swimmers will represent Florida while competing in the Southern Zone Open Water Championships in Ft. Myers, FL in April.
- The top four girls and top four boys in the 11&12, 13&14, and 15&16 age groups who submit applications will be selected for the team.
- Open Water Junior Nationals and Open Water
- If swimmers are selected for the Florida Open Water Zone Team, they will have the opportunity to qualify for Open Water Junior Nationals and Open Water Nationals based upon their finishes at the Open Water Zones meet.