100% Volunteer Hours by Becoming a Stroke and Turn USA Official
(this is a team hosted event)
Athletes and FULFILL YOUR FUNDRAISING
Become a Missouri Valley Stroke & Turn Official
ATTIRE: White Polo Shirt, Navy Shorts and White Tennis Shoes
Why become an official?
- Support an excellent sport for children and promote a healthy lifestyle for children.
- You will gain a more thorough understanding of competitive swimming.
- Fulfill your volunteer obligations.
- Get closer to the action; know what’s happening on deck with the “best seat” at the pool.
- Get mentally and physically engaged during the meet rather than merely “spectating.”
- Receive free admission and great hospitality during sessions officiated.
STEP 1: USA Swimming Registration
Part A : Complete the current year USA Swimming Non-Athlete Registration Form at MissouriValleySwimming.com .
Choose CLUB AFFILIATION - KCSA
Registering as - OFFICIAL
Cost is $74.00 – KCSA REIMBURSES , ONCE Steps 1-5 are completed … EMAIL Bonnie Boyles at email@example.com.
All registrations are entered manually into the USA Swimming database. Depending on staff workload, it may take up to 72 hours until your information is added.
Part B : Create an account at USASWIMMING.ORG as an official. You will need to have your own usa swimming account separate from your swimmer’s.
STEP 2: USA Swimming Athlete Protection Policy
All Non-Athlete USA Swimming members, including Officials, must complete the following:
- USA Swimming Criminal Background Check (regardless of any previous criminal background check you may have completed). There is a $39 fee for first-time officials. https://www.usaswimming.org/background-checks
- PRIOR to taking your APT training you will need to set up an account on the USA Swimming Site. Simply click Sign-In in the upper right hand part of the page. You will also need to have completed your registration as a non-athlete member. Please use the exact same name for registration, background check and APT.
- Take the Athlete Protection Module course. https://www.usaswimming.org/utility/landing-pages/safe-sport/apt takes about 20 minutes.
STEP 3: Start Your Training
Take your USA Swimming Test: Complete USA Swimming’s on-line, open book test, “Stroke and Turn Certification Test”. A stroke and Turn official will need to take both the Timer and S&T Judge test.
STEP 4: Attend a Training Clinic
Attend a Stroke & Turn Training Clinic. These are conducted in various locations throughout the LSC. SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 28 AT ROELAND PARK 1-3:30PM ROOM 6. Email me if you have any questions and if you are able to attend this one.
STEP 5: CONCUSSION PROTOCOL TRAINING AT CDC https://headsup.cdc.gov (email Bonnie Boyles firstname.lastname@example.org the certificate)
APPRENTICE ON DECK
The Stroke & Turn is required to work with a full status official for a minimum of six (6) meet sessions (not including Time Trials). In order to provide the trainee with the opportunity to work with a number of experienced officials, these six or more meet sessions must be worked at a minimum of TWO DIFFERENT MEETS. These work sessions shall be recorded in the Official’s Tracking System database via the USA Swimming official’s website by the meet referee.