YMCA Officials Certification Training Course
YMCA officials' trainer Linda Vicik of Seattle will offer three Y certification training clinics October 11-12 in Butte.
If you plan to take any of the clinics, contact Susan Huckeby by October 10 for more information. Bring pencil or pen, paper, and USAS rulebook.
AO or admin official clinic - Friday October 11. Time and place to be announced. This 4 hour clinic is open to anyone age 21 and older. Previous YMCA or USA Swimming certification is not required. Cost $23 per person (cash or check).
There will be a YMCA level 1 officials certification training course Saturday morning October 12. It will start at 8:30 am and finish at 12:30 or so at the Butte YMCA during the HLST swim meet. Requirements: must 21 years of age or older. Does not require any previous Y or USAS officials training or certification. Trainees and USAS officials who have been certified less than 1 year may take this course. Cost $23 per person (cash or check). The course lasts 4 hours.
There will be a YMCA Level 2 Officials Certification Training Course held Saturday October 12 at the Butte YMCA. This 4 hour clinic will begin shortly after the HLST meet concludes for the day. This clinic is for currently certified USA Swimming officials. Minimum Requirements: Officials must be certified for at least 1 full year as a USA Swimming official, worked at least 8 sessions as an official in the past year, and be at least 21 years of age. Officials must provide a print out from OTS showing he/she/they have worked a minimum of 8 session over the past year. Dinner will be provided. Cost: $23 per person (cash or check).
Dinner for Level 2 course: Susan is preparing dinner for the participants in the Level 2 course so she needs to know how many people will be attending (adults and swimmers) by October 10. Parents, if you will have your children with you during the level 2 course at the YMCA, let Susan know how many swimmers to expect as well so she plans accordingly for the food. Coach Kristen Wyatt will be supervising the swimmers during the officials' course. Dinner will be pulled pork sandwiches, salad, veggies, chips, dessert.
REGISTRATION: Registration is online. Follow the steps below.
- You must sign up for a class on the YMCA's Learning and Career Development Center (LCDC).
- Use the search engine of your choice to find "ymca lcdc". Click on the link.
- Set up a new account following all the prompts if you are a new user to the system. It will ask you to select what YMCA you will be affliliated with. Enter Billings, Missoula, or Butte to search for a YMCA.
- If you are current YMCA LCDC user, log in to your account.
- After logging in, you will be directed to the "Welcome to Your Account" page. On this page click on the link "register for local/regional/national instructor courses".
- On the "catalog and schedule" page, click on "search for class availability". Scroll down to set the search parameters -- set the state to Montana. (You can also set the date to 10/11/9 - 10/13/19 and even add Linda Vicik as the instructor if you wish.) There is only 1 group of classes set up for Montana. Click on search.
- The list of Montana classes will pop up. There are 3 classes. 1st class is for administrative officials only; 2nd class is for level 1 (trainees and officials certified for less than 1 year); 3rd class is level 2 - for USAS certified officials who have worked at least 8 sessions in the past year. Most of the officials taking the Y training course will take the Level 2 certification course. If you are unsure of what course to register for contact Susan.
- If you are a new user to the system you'll get an error message that says to add your address and phone number to your profile. Click on "Edit My Profile" (not edit profile in the left column). After updating your profile, follow the remaining prompts to click through registering for the class. You will receive an e-mail once you have completed the registration process stating you are registered for the class.
All officials/ trainees must pass the YMCA rules test. The YMCA uses USA Swimming rules.
Please contact Susan Huckeby (406.491.4698) for more details and to let her know you will be attending by October 10.
YMCA Core Values: Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, and Caring. These values are central to everything the YMCA does and make great guidelines for officiating.