Beat the Heat - Flagstaff
At Flagstaff/ NAU Pool
2018 “Beat the Heat” Classic
June 1 – 3, 2018
Held under the sanction of USA Swimming
Sanctioned By: Arizona Swimming, Inc. Sanction # AZ18-86
Liability: In granting this sanction, it is understood and agreed that USA Swimming, Inc., Arizona Swimming, Inc.,
Lumberjack Aquatics, Northern Arizona University and all meet officials shall be held harmless from any and all
liabilities or claims for damages by reason of injuries to anyone during the conduct of this meet, which includes
Hosted By: Lumberjack Aquatics
Meet Directors: Liz Hobbs, email@example.com, 928-286-7989 (entries and lead up)
Larry Leibowitz Larry.Leibowitz@nau.edu (on site meet director)
Meet Referee: Art Gramer firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet Location: Northern Arizona University/Wall Aquatic Center
705 S. San Francisco St
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Course: Indoor, 50 meter, 10 lane competition, with 25 yard warm up and warm down available throughout the meet.
Daktroniks automatic timing systems for events over 50 meters and semiautomatic timing system for 50 meter
Eligibility: 1. Open to any USA Swimming athlete holding a current USA Swimming Registration card as of the meet entry
Rules Governing Sanctioned Meets
1. Age on the first day the meet will govern for the entire meet.
2. Conduct of the sanctioned event shall conform in every respect to all technical and administrative rules of USA
3. Swimming competitions shall be conducted in conformance with USA Swimming Technical Rules.
4. Any swimmer entered in the meet must be certified by a USA Swimming member coach as being proficient in
performing a racing start or must start each race from within the water. When unaccompanied by a member
coach, it is the responsibility of the swimmer or the swimmer’s legal guardian to ensure compliance with this
5. The competition course has been certified in accordance with 104.2.2C(4) as to pool length.
6. The minimum water depth, measured in accordance with Article 103.2.3, is 13 feet, 0 inches at the start end and
4 feet, 0 inches at the turn end.
7. Deck changes are prohibited.
8. The Arizona Swimming Controlled Meet Warm-up and Safety Guidelines will be posted and enforced.
9. No swimmer will be permitted to compete unless swimmer is a member of USA Swimming. On deck registration
is not available at any Arizona Swimming meet.
10. The use of audio or visual recording devices, including a cell phone, is not permitted in changing areas,
restrooms, locker rooms or other areas as may be designated by the Meet Director/Meet Referee.
11. All referees, starters, administrative officials, chief judges and stroke and turn judges serving in an official
capacity in a sanctioned event must be non-athlete members of USA Swimming or members of other FINA
member organizations. All meet directors for meets sanctioned by USA Swimming must be members of USA
Swimming. Except for coaches accompanying athletes participating under the provisions of 202.6 or USA
Swimming’s “open border” policy, all persons acting in any coaching capacity in a sanctioned event must be a
coach member of USA Swimming.
12. Officials and Meet Marshals must sign in and present proof of current membership and/or training respectively, to
the Meet Referee prior to the start of each session of competition. If requested, Arizona Officials and Meet
Marshals must present their AzSI issued Picture ID’s to the Meet Referee
13. Coaches must sign in and present proof of current membership at the Clerk of Course prior to the start of each
session of competition. If requested, Arizona Coaches must present their AzSI issued Picture ID’s to the Clerk of
Course. Deck Pass will be accepted as proof of current membership with an accompanying photo ID.
14. All Officials, Coaches and Meet Marshals shall display their valid Arizona Swimming Picture ID badge in a
visible manner at all times. Meet Marshal’s shall wear their identifying vests.
15. Swimmers with a disability are welcome. The Swimmer (or swimmers coach) is responsible for notifying the
Referee, prior to the competition, of any disability of the swimmer and of the requested modification. The
swimmer/coach shall provide any assistant(s) or equipment (tappers, deck mats, etc.) if required.
16. Operation of a drone, or any other flying apparatus, is prohibited over the venue (pools, athlete/coach areas,
spectator areas and open ceiling locker rooms) any time athletes, coaches, officials and/or spectators are present.
1. Individual events are pre-seeded, timed final events, with the exception of the events listed in #2.
2. The 400 IM, 400 Free, and 800 free will be limited to 2 heats per gender (20 swimmers). Entries will be accepted until the
heats are full/meet time limit is reached. Notification will be given committed teams when the events fill.
3. The 400 IM, 400 free and 800 free are deck-seeded and Swimmers must check-in at the Clerk of course by the start of the
first event of the afternoon session of the day of their event (800 free Friday, 400 IM Saturday, and 400 Free Sunday) if they
wish to swim. These events will be swum fastest to slowest, alternating girls and boys heats. Swimmers must provide their
own timers and personnel to time and to count laps.
4. All swimmers are limited to individual 4 events and 1 relay per day.
5. Relay events may be combined, without regard to gender or age group.
6. Entry times must be the swimmer’s best long course times, no converted times.
7. No Time Trials will be offered.
8. The meet is limited to 300 athletes per session.
9. This is an ABC meet. Athletes achieving a first time Arizona Swimming A or B time standard will receive an Achievement
Sessions: Session 1 Friday, June 1 Warm-up 2:00 PM Starts 3:00 PM
Session 2 Saturday, June 2 Warm-up 8:30 AM Starts 9:15 AM
Session 3 Saturday, June 2 Warm-up Immediately after Session 2, no earlier than Noon
Session 4 Sunday, June 3 Warm-up 8:30 AM Starts 9:15AM
Session 5 Sunday, June 3 Warm-up Immediately after Session 4, no earlier than Noon
Entries: All entries must be submitted via Hy-tek eletronic entry. If you do not have access to Hytek
software, please contact the meet director. Paper entries will not be accepted. All electronic entries
must be submitted with an entry report. Entries due by Friday, May 25, 2018. All entries should be
sent to email@example.com
Email entries to:
Individual Events: $5.00
LSC Surcharge $6.00 per swimmer
Make all checks payable to:
Entry fees are not refundable.
Fees are due to the Clerk of Course prior to the
start of the second session of the meet and must be
paid by using one team check.
Late entries will be accepted if space is available. No heats will be added.
NO DECK ENTRIES
Make all checks payable to: Lumberjack Aquatics
Entry fees are not refundable.
Awards: Individual ribbons 1st - 5th place for age groups 8 & U, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14. 15 and over
High point awards: 8 and Under, 9-10, 11-12, and 13-14
Athletes achieving a first time Arizona Swimming A or B time standard will receive an Achievement
Certificate based on entry times.
Concessions: There will be a snack bar available at this meet.
Timing: Participating teams will be assigned lanes for timing based on the number of
participants from each team in the session.
Parking: Parking is available in the San Francisco Street Parking Garage, the Health and Learning Center (HLC)
parking lot, the street, and the surrounding neighborhood.
Order of Events:
2018 Beat the Heat
Session #1--Friday June 1
Warmup 2:00 PM Meet Start: 3:00 PM
Women's Event # Event Men's event #
1 11 and over 50 Breaststroke 2
3 11 and over 50 backstroke 4
5 11 and over 50 butterfly 6
7 11 and over 800 Free Relay 8
10-15 min warmup break
9* 13 and Over 800 freestyle 10*
*2 heats max, may be combined
Session #2 Saturday June 2
Warmups 8:30am meet starts 9:15 am
11 10 and under 200 freestyle 12
13 11 and 12 200 freestyle 14
15 10 and under 50 back 16
17 11 and 12 100 back 18
19 10 and under 50 free 20
21 11 and 12 50 free 22
23 10 and under 50 breast 24
25 11 and 12 100 breast 26
Session #3 Saturday June 2
Warmups no earlier than Noon with meet 45 min later
27 13 and over 400 Medley Relay 28
29 13 and over 50 freestyle 30
31 13 and over 100 fly 32
33 13 and over 200 free 34
45 13 and over 100 back 46
35 13 and over 200 breast 36
37* 13 and over 400 IM 38*
*2 heats max, may be combined 40
Session #4 Sunday June 3
Warmups 8:30 Meet 9:15
39 12 and under 400 Free Relay 40
41 10 and under 100 free 42
43 11 and 12 100 free 44
47 10 and under 50 fly 48
49 11 and 12 100 fly 50
51 10 and under 100 back 52
53 11-12 200 IM 54
55 10 and U 200 IM 56
Session #5 Sunday June 3
Warmups no earlier than Noon, meet 45 min later
57 13 and over 400 Free Relay 58
59 13 and over 100 breast 60
61 13 and over 200 IM 62
63 13 and over 100 free 64
67 13 and over 200 back 68
69 13 and over 200 Fly 70
71* 13 and over 400 Free 72*
*2 heats max, may be combined