2018 Group Swim Lessons - Session 1
WCAC is excited to offer group swim lessons beginning the week of February 5, 2018! Group lessons are open to swimmers 3 years of age or older who are comfortable leaving their parent/guardian to enter the pool.
The first session of swim lessons is a 6 week session with lessons 2 nights/week. Each group of 6 will be instructed by 1 High School Coach who will be in the water with the swimmers. WCAC staff coaches will be overseeing the lesson program.
During registration families can pick either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday lesson packages. Lessons are 30 minutes each, from 6:00-6:30 pm, and are structured in levels. Note: There will be no lessons Tuesday February 6 or Presidents Day, Monday February 19, 2018.
The goal is “graduate” the swimmer to the next level by the end of the session. Swimmers graduated from Level 3 of the lesson program will be eligible to join the WCAC Stroke Clinic 2.
practice how to blow bubbles, open their eyes, submerge their face and learn water safety
practice front and back gliding skills while maintaining streamline in the water
Course Goal: Front float with face in the water 5 seconds, back float with support 5 seconds
Level 2: Swimmers will
- maintain streamline while kicking on their front 15 feet
- maintain streamline while kicking on their back 15 feet
- practice dolphin kicking
- complete 20 feet of front crawl stroke
- learn the water safety skill of front to back recovery and how to call for help while treading water
- perform forward and backward somersaults to practice breath control in preparation for flip turns
- Course Goal: Achieve correct body positioning in the water and ongoing safety skills
Level 3: Swimmers will
- Learn rotary breathing for the crawl stroke, with goal of side breathing for minimum of 4 breaths
- Learn backstroke and swim for 30 feet
- Practice treading water for at least 1 minute
- How to dive into the pool (jumping, sitting, kneeling and standing dives)
- Course Goal: Coordination and endurance of learned strokes, flip turns and diving techniques
EVALUATIONS TO DETERMINE LEVEL PLACEMENT WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY FEBRUARY 5TH FOR THE MONDAY/WEDNESDAY GROUP AND THURSDAY FEBRUARY 8TH FOR THE TUESDAY/THURSDAY GROUP. THERE WILL BE NO LESSONS ON TUESDAY FEBRUARY 6TH.