2018 Tropical Splash Open Water
Entries are now open for the 2018 Tropical Splash, an open water competition to be held at Siesta Key Beach, May 13, 2018. We encourage everyone from these groups to consider swimming at this event!
There are three races offered: a 1K, 2.5K and 5K. Please talk with your group coach BEFORE entering - we want to make sure that everyone enters the race appropriate for his or her fitness level and experience.
Entries for all three races are limited to 400 swimmers, and there are already many swimmers signed up. Entries are accepted on a first come, first served basis. If you would like to swim, please get your entry in soon, so that you can be sure to get your entry in before the event closes!! The race has filled to max capacity every year for the last few years, so although the entry deadline is October 8th, it is highly likely that entries will be closed before that date.
The entry procedure for the race is quite different than for regular meets - you are responsible for entering yourself in the event, and entry fees are paid directly to the meet host, the Sarasota Y Sharks. You can find the link to the entry form HERE.
Basic Itinerary and Deadlines:
- Deadline for USA Swimmers to commit to attend the meet on the GSC website.
- Final day to enter on the SYS event page. (Please note that entries are first come, first served, and the event has been full before the final entry date for the last several years. Enter EARLY!)
- GSC Open Water Team t-shirt orders due by 5:00pm. Please complete online order form HERE.
May 7 or 9, Final Date T.B.D.:
- Open Water Informational Meeting for Parents and Athletes. 4:30pm, Northeast pool. Please read the Open Water 101 document BEFORE this meeting.
- Open Water in the Pool Practice 5:15-7:00pm, Northeast pool. (This practice will replace your regular group practice, and attendance will be taken.)
- 3:00pm - Open Water practice at the race venue. Siesta Key Beach. 948 Beach Road, Siesta Key, FL, 34242. We will meet in the public pavilion in the shade.
- 6:00pm - Team Dinner at Carrabba's Italian Grill. 1940 Stickney Point Rd, Sarasota, FL 34231
May 13: Race Day!
- Race Day:
- 6:30am - Arrive at venue for body marking and packet pick-up.
- 7:15am Pre-race safety meeting for all swimmers. MANDATORY.
- 8:00am - 1K Race Start
- 8:05am - 5K Race Start
- 8:10am - 2.5K Race Start
- Approximately 9:00am – Awards for 1K presented to 1K swimmers on the beach.
- Approximately 11:00am – Awards for 2.5K and 5K swimmers at the pavilion.
- Team Lunch
- Approximately 1:00pm (depending on the time of the conclusion of the awards) at The Old Salty Dog. 5023 Ocean Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34242.
The order form is online only. You can access the order form HERE.
Orders due by 5:00pm, Monday, April 30. Online orders only. No email/paper orders accepted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your group coach, or to Coach Erin. We hope to see you on the beach!