Performance Freestyle and Starts Clinic
(this is a team hosted event)
This is a two-day swim camp where swimmers may attend one or both sessions for their age groups!
The curriculum for Saturday will cover starts from the blocks and backstroke starts. Then on Sunday, the curriculum will cover freestyle!
The clinician for both days will be Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith! Clark is not only an amazing athlete, but he also specializes in teaching swimmers the finer details of technique for faster racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SESSION 1 & 2: DIVES AND BACKSTROKE STARTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Clark Smith will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS FROM THE BLOCKS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Clark will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
SESSION 3 & 4: FREESTYLE
Freestyle is the most technical stroke and it is also the stroke that you swim more than any other. Clark Smith, a four-time American record holder in freestyle events, will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- Bodyline: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will learn to maintain good posture and engage their core to have a foudation for a stronger and faster freestyle.
- Kick: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technqiue and timing of each kick from an Olympic gold medalist.
- Pull: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. He will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn how to get more out of drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- Rotation: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- Breath: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Clark will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Clark Smith is an Olympic gold medalist and American record holder! At his swim clinics, he works with the swimmers to break down the most important parts of technique that have allowed him to reach the absolute highest level of the sport. Sign up to learn from Clark Smith and leave a more knowledgable and inquisitive swimmer!
We are so appreciative of the hundreds of parents and coaches who have volunteered their time at Fitter and Faster clinics since 2009!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by swimming at top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Clark Smith's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!