Western Zone DEI Camp and Summit
PURPOSE: To provide a space for conversation among the many social identity group of USA Swimming in which perspectives can be shared and plans to be more inclusive can be created by athletes and non-athletes alike.
GOALS: To empower athletes from ethnically underrepresented populations, those economically disadvantaged, and LGBTQ+ and their coaches to:
1. Demonstrate the viability of inclusiveness in swimming within their local LSC.
2. Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport.
3. Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming.
4. Be positive leaders and role models that others from social identity backgrounds can emulate.
5. To connect, network, and promote the virtues of the sport of swimming through a comprehensive strategy involving the athletes, coaches, and LSC Diversity Chairs in their own local LSC’s and throughout the Western Zone.
FORMAT: Due to the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 WZ DEI Summit will be hosted in an online format via Zoom.
SUMMIT DATE: August 14, 2021
NUMBER of ATTENDEES: 8 participants from each LSC: 4 athletes, 1 DEI Chair, 1 Athlete Representative, and 2 additional persons who may be a coach, an official, a DEI Committee member, or other volunteers. If an LSC wishes to fund the attendance of additional members, all will be accepted.
ATHLETE PARTICIPANT AGE: 13-16 years of age at the time of the summit.
LSC ATHLETE REPRESENTATIVE AGE: 13 -18 years of age at the time of the summit.
- LSC Athlete Representatives are those athletes that serve on the LSC Board of Directors, LSC Athlete Committee, or other LSC Committee.
SUMMIT SCHEDULE: The summit will be two sessions with two segments in each session. Each session will include a stroke technique segment presented by USA Swimming’s National Team High Performance Consultant, Russell Mark, and an interactive segment during which individuals will be able to discuss the challenges of increasing inclusion and to brainstorm plans to help teams, LSC’s and the Zone as a whole increase inclusion in swimming.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: To be considered to represent the LSC at this event, one must submit their application to Wyoming LSC NO LATER THAN JULY 2, 2012.