May 2, 2018
How to Evaluate Your Child's Coach - Become an Expert in Just Minutes!
Making a choice of team for your young child can be a bewildering experience for parents.
I hear many parents say, "I'm not an expert and I don't know how to evaluate swim teams."
If you will spend the next two minutes reading this page, you'll become confident of your ability to better make this important decision.
Pay attention to what the coach does. Here's what to look for...
"Good coaching is
being involved with the athletes while they are doing their
Observe the coaching of daily practices...Does the Coach add energy to the practice by his/her physical presence, words, actions, and attention? Just once in a while, for a few minutes? Or throughout the entire practice?
10 Traits of Great Coaches - Consistent Daily Actions - 100% of the Practice Time
1. Great coaches watch the athletes the entire practice, they do not look at their phone.
2. Great coaches stand throughout the practice.
3. Great coaches engage in conversation with no one but the athletes during the practice.
4. Great coaches walk the deck throughout the practice.
5. Great coaches speak with each athlete during each practice.
6. Great coaches reinforce desired behaviors and actions, positively and frequently.
7. Great coaches teach athletes the tools for success and reinforce their use.
8. Great coaches know swimmers times in practice performances.
9. Great coaches explain the purpose of set or training item to athletes.
10. Great coaches are continually learning, looking for better ways to help their athletes improve!
How much of the practice time is the Coach pro-actively engaged directly with the athletes, both individually and collectively?
Great coaches? 100% of the practice time. Every practice.
You now have improved ability to evaluate coaches. What do you want for your child?