November 26, 2017
Holiday Champs Recap
We hope all WTSC families had a happy and enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday. When the dust settled from the Holiday Champs invitational, there was certainly a lot to be thankful for given how our swimmers performed! An updated Honor Roll is posted online and at the pool and as you might expect, given the full team effort that was put forth, there are numerous outstanding achievements to recognize. Several swimmers, however, earned the following special shoutouts. We start with swimmers who made the first championship cuts of their careers at the Holiday Champs, a moment that can propel swimmers to new levels. Duygu Arseven (50 Free), Vivian Baker (50 Back; 50 & 100 Fly) and Allison Smith (50 Free) all made the first Divisional cuts of their careers in their respective events. After serving as a clutch Age Group State relay performer several times over, Jack Steadham made the first individual AGST cut of his career in the 50 Free. Making the first Senior State cuts of their careers were Claudia Buddenbaum (100 Fly) and Grace Mulvey (200 Back). And Lurilla Bereveskos (200 Free) and Peter LaBarge (50 Free) qualified for Speedo Sectionals for the first time in their careers. Many WTSC swimmers added their names to the Honor Roll for the first time this season, at all levels of meets. Making their first cuts of the season were:
· Divisionals - Ellen Baker, Finn Crist, Yana Footman, Kate Peterson, Aisha Tashpulatova, Lily Wolfe and Sammy Wolfe
· Age Group State – Lurilla Bereveskos, Emma Horton and Sarah McPherson
· Zones – Lurilla Bereveskos and Colin Parker
· Senior State – Lurilla Bereveskos, Emily Buening, Peter LaBarge, Alani Hightower, CJ Hill and Meggie McPherson
· Speedo Sectionals – Parker Hershberger, Delaney Isakson, Kaitlyn McPherson, Meggie McPherson and Caleb Parker
And a special shoutout and congratulations to Parker Hershberger and Caleb Parker, who became the first Honor Roll additions of the season at the National level, both qualifying for the NCSA Junior Nationals in the 100 Breast at the Holiday Champs. WTSC also saw a variety of swimmers rise above a strong field of competitors, earning first place finishes in their respective events: Lurilla Bereveskos (200 & 500 Free), Emily Buening (200 & 1650 Free; 100 Breast; 200 IM), Scarlet Friend (50 Free; 100 Back), Delaney Isakson (200, 500 & 1650 Free), Kaitlyn McPherson (100 Free; 100 Breast; 200 IM), Caleb Parker (100 & 200 Free) and Colin Parker (50 & 100 Free). Not to be outdone, Emily Buening, Deborah Danek, Toni Jazvic and Keira White were winners in the 200 Free Relay. Congratulations to all swimmers for a great weekend of swimming at the Holiday Champs!
Holiday Champs Thank Yous
We can’t thank our meet workers enough for putting so much time and effort into another successful weekend of swimming and hosting. The following acknowledgements come straight from our co-meet directors Jennifer Buddenbaum and Jennifer Stonebraker:
· Jane Jones , head referee, and all WTSC officials for keeping the meet rolling seamlessly
· Bridge Parker , meet entry chair, and the amazing team of computer operators
· Myra Washum and her mom, hospitality, for keeping all volunteers, coaches and officials well fed
· Tracy & Kevin Miller, concessions, for keeping our spectators well fed
· Tina Isakson & Charlie Smith , announcers, for filling the airwaves with fun music and keeping the swimmers on task with their events
· Our coaches for not only coaching, but for constantly problem solving
· Cora Steinkamp for being our on-site coordinator and always helping find people to fill the gaps
· Paul Loggan , NC Athletic Director, for his support
· The many families who went above and beyond – there are too many to name! Every time we turned around we had volunteers who were willing to switch jobs, train in a new position or help well beyond their required volunteer shifts. This swim meet took a village!
You may have seen the news on the WTSC website and Facebook page but congratulations to WTSC Senior swimmers Kaitlyn McPherson and Parker Hershberger, who signed their national letters of intent to continue their academic and swimming careers at Michigan State University and Dartmouth University respectively next year.
With Holiday Champs in the rearview mirror, it’s time to turn our attention to what’s next. We have three meets with upcoming deadlines or other important dates. They are as follows:
· JAGS Winter Invite (December 8-10 @ IUPUI). We have officially been accepted to this meet! Draft entries are available online and posted at the pool. The host club is accepting additions so if you missed the deadline for this meet and would like to swim, please contact Coach Josh by the end of practice on Wednesday, November 29.
· FAST Mudsock Classic (January 12-14 @ Fishers HS). This meet is appropriate and encouraged for all WTSC age group swimmers and will feature prelims / finals competition for all swimmers 11&Older. This was a great meet for us last year as we put all our hard work over Christmas break into action so please get your swimmers committed to race! The signup deadline for this meet is December 9.
· WTSC Winter Snowball Intrasquad (December 14 @ NC). Our familiar intrasquad format, appropriate and encouraged for all WTSC age group swimmers. Quick, easy and fun, get your swimmers committed now! The signup deadline for this meet is December 11.