January 24, 2018
Wahoo Age Grouper News
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Practice Schedule Changes-
- Friday night- Gold will be done at 7:45pm to allow for an early night before Y States this weekend.
- Saturday- NO 12&Under practices due to Y States.
YMCA CT State Championships-
The 13 and over Wahoos did their part and handed us a lead. Now it’s up to the Wahoo Age Groupers to bring home Y States Championship number 30 in a row! Here’s the info for this weekend-
- Location- Cheshire Community Pool 520 South Main Street, Cheshire, CT
- Swimmers- Wear team suits and yellow team caps. Swimmers may bring small deck chairs. Be sure to wear your Wahoo colors! (Gold shirts on Saturday and Maroon shirts on Sunday.)
- For this meet age is determined as of January 6, 2018.
- There are scoring relays at this meet. (fyi- relays are double points!!!) A good number of Maroon and Gold kids will be in relays. Please plan to stay and cheer if not race! I’ve placed our tentative relay line ups in Team Unify for planning purposes.
- 11-12s Check In 7:40am, Warm Up 8:00am.
- 9-10s Check In 12:40pm, Warm Up 1:00pm.
What February Invite-
I’ll be reviewing and editing this entry over the next few days. If your swimmer has an event request please have them see me.
End of the Short Course Season- thinking ahead…
With the exception of a few days around Age Groups, we will have practices for all Gold and Maroon swimmers through Thursday, March 22nd. We’ll then take a bit of a break before we start long course season on Monday, April 9th. The coaches will figure out long course squad placements at the beginning of that break and everyone, including those turning 13 this winter or this spring, will start with their new groups on April 9th.
There are two tracks most swimmers will follow for the end of the season.
A. Two Meets- Regionals (March 2-4) and then Y All Stars (March 23-25). There are light qualifying times for these two meets which shouldn’t be an issue for those in Maroon or Gold. Everyone who attended at least 1 Connecticut Sanctioned Meet this winter should plan to attend these two meets unless they qualify for higher end of season championships.
B. Two of Three Meets- Age Groups (March 15-18) and then the NASA Elite Showcase Classic (in Florida March 28-31) or Y All Stars.
For planning purposes here are links to those currently qualified for Age Groups and NASA. Coach Matt and I are working on some preliminary details for the NASA meet and we’ll reach out to potential attendees soon.
On Sunday, February 25th I will be running four off-site 45 minute clinics to help swimmers prepare for championship season. I teach private lessons about once a month throughout the year but I’m using a clinic approach for this month to help as many kids as possible before their big meets. Info on my private sessions and the off-site pool location is available here. The cost per swimmer will be $50 and swimmers are welcome to sign up for more than one session. There will be a max 5 swimmers per session. To register please email me and please note the requested session start time and stroke/focus to avoid confusion. Session breakdown-
- 10:00am- Dives and the first 15 meters of the race.
- 10:45am- Backstroke starts and turns
- 11:30am- Fly and breaststroke tips and turns
- 12:15pm- Freestyle tips and turns
See you on deck!