Parent Information Meeting 19 Feb 18
February 20, 2018
“LCSC 20/20 Vision: Health Benefits of Massage for Athletes”
- On February 19 guest speaker Lindsay Fisk, Licensed Massage Therapist conducted a presentation on the benefits of massage for athletes and how this will assist in a successful championship season. Here is a recap of the presentation:
- Lindsay Fisk- Licensed and Insured Massage Therapist with 15 years experience
- Bachelors of Science in Massage Therapy
- Main focus has been working with athletes in order to prevent injury and assist performance by working on specific muscle groups
- Many clients find therapeutic massage to be an essential component in their regiment in order to provide a balanced state in the body as well as the mind.
Benefits of Massage:
- Massage improves performance, reduces pain, and increases range of motion in the joints and muscles.
- Reduces recovery time, encourages focus during extreme physical exertion.
- Affects the cardiovascular system, and promotes circulation.
- Manually assists in venous blood flow, delivering fresh oxygen and nutrients to the tissues.
- Promotes removal of waste products and toxins.
- Helps to relieve muscle tension and reduces soreness
- Reduces Inflammation, provides pain relief.
- Builds muscles and encourages their growth and recovery.
- Lowers one’s resting heart rate and reduces stress on the cardiovascular system and assists in recovery
- Reduces stress, tension and anxiety while promoting relaxation.
- Activates the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Increases dopamine and serotonin while decreasing cortisol levels.
- Cortisol released keeps body in fight/flight response which decreases healing and weakens immune response.
Frequency of Massage
- Massage is recommended once per week for athletes
- Or twice if training is at a high level
- Pre-event massage: recommended 3-5 prior to event preferable on rest day
- Post-event massage recommended 3-5 after event for body to heal from any residual soreness.
Best types of Massage for Athletes:
- Sports massage: fast paced, includes stretching and performed
while client is fully clothed.
- Used before a workout as opportunity to warm up muscles
- used after workout to help reduce soreness and increase general flexibility
- Deep Tissue: works on particular issues by applying heavier
pressure and is designed to work out knots and tension muscles may
be holding from repetitive motion during extreme physical exertion
by working into the deeper muscle layers.
- Lindsay will be available for massage on deck- please contact Coach Vince for any further information.