March 23, 2018
Dear GMA Families,
We are THRILLED to have Cameron, Oliver, Ross and Coach Jim representing GMA at the Speedo Sectional Championship Meet at Ithaca College in Ithaca, NY this weekend. Our athletes are ready to race FAST together at this competitive meet with athletes from all over the Eastern Zone! GOOD LUCK to our GMA athletes at Speedo Sectional Championships!
Click HERE to link to the main meet information page
CLICK HERE for the GMA main meet information page
Our TEAM GOALS for Championships are:
- GMA athletes will achieve 100% personal best times at championships.
- GMA athletes will make it back to finals in at least one event.
- All GMA athletes will qualify for the next level meet this season.
- GMA will place top 10 in all relays.
- GMA athletes will show outstanding team spirit with cheering behind the lanes and positive attitudes on deck.
GMA ATHLETES ARE EXPECTED TO:
- Arrive on time
- Warm-up and warm-down properly at every session (regardless of session participation) and for every event, including relays.
- Stay at each session until EVERY GMA swimmer has completed their races.
- Eat nutritious foods throughout the weekend.
- Pack and prepare nutritious foods for before, during and after the meet.
- Be leaders of team spirit and support staying engaged with the team at all times.
- Get proper rest at night.
- Wear your GMA team shirts at EVERY SESSION. Wear your 2018 GMA Championship Meet shirt at EVERY SESSION.
- Race your BEST in every event.
- HAVE FUN racing FAST TOGETHER as a TEAM! GO GMA!!!
GMA PARENTS, YOUR ATHLETES WILL NEED YOUR HELP:
- Plan to arrive on time.
- Understand that your athletes must warm-down after each session.
- Help with meal planning, prep and packing. Eliminate eating out at restaurants as much as possible for health and for time management.
- Help with sleeping by maintaining a quiet and calm hotel environment. Your athlete may need your help and encouragement to nap and to go to bed in a timely manner at night.
- Please remember that we expect every GMA athlete to attend the entire session in which they are racing to support their teammates. Swimmers will not be released from the session until after every GMA swimmer has finished their racing. Please speak to Laura Matuszak, Jim Austin or Elizabeth Austin in advance if you have any questions or concerns about this.
- Please arrive on time and stay for your assigned meet job.
- Please contact Laura Matuszak (802-238-9168) with any questions or concerns.
- Have FUN and cheer for GMA! This is the FUN part!!!!
GMA Team End-of-Season Meet Guidelines
The GMA coaches provide the following guidelines for swimmers and parents going to a New England End-of-Season meet:
1. Plan ahead to attend the End-of-Season Meets for which you have qualified. Please fulfill your team obligation. If your plans have changed and you are unable to attend, please notify Laura as soon as possible.
2. Swimmers are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to the assigned team warm-up session. Team stretching and announcements are a very important aspect of championship meet success.
3. These meets can be long and tiring. Plan your daily schedule to ensure that you get the proper amount of food and rest. This is best achieved with good transportation plans and many comfort items packed.
4. The emphasis at swim meets is always on achieving your personal best times, being a great sport and showing excellent team spirit. Winning heats and medals can be fun, but is never part of our team goals.
5. Please provide your child with unconditional love. Your swimmers need your unconditional support in order to race confidently. If they feel that you are judging or critiquing their performances, they may race with less confidence and security.
6. Please do not offer your swimmers ideas on how to race better. Please refer such technical questions to the coaches so as not to confuse the swimmers. Swimmers are required to speak to their coaches just prior to and immediately after their races in order to plan and evaluate their performances.
7. Please pack the following for your swimmers:
2 GMA caps
2 pairs of goggles
GMA team suit
GMA team apparel
At least 3 towels
Nutritious food and drinks only (Proteins, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds and whole grains are foods that can fuel athletes!)
8. Swimmers are responsible for the following:
Knowing their events
Knowing their personal best times
Knowing their goals for each event
Talking to a coach before and after every race
Checking themselves in for any positive check-in events
Talking to the coach about any scratches
Getting to their heats and lanes by themselves
Cheering for their teammates during the ENTIRE session (do not leave until the session is over and our team area is fully cleaned)
Demonstrating great sportsmanship and team spirit
Resting/ sleeping in bed at least one hour in between prelims and finals sessions
Warming up properly before each event, warming down properly after each event and maintaining any prescribed physical therapy routine.
9. Rest, eat nutritious food and drink plenty of water. When you are not swimming, you are to be fueling your body and sleeping. All swimmers competing in a prelims and finals meet are REQUIRED to sleep in between prelims and finals. It is recommended that you rest even if you are not swimming in finals at night. Please do not plan family activities and adventures. In order to race their best, the swimmers need to rest whenever they are not competing.
10. GMA swimmers MUST warm-up and warm-down before and after every event. Please talk to your coach about specific recommendations. If no pool is available, please use the team warm-up and warm-down cards to properly warm-up or warm-down your body.
11. If you are unable to attend any portion of the meet, please contact Laura on her cell phone (802-238-9168) immediately. Your teammates are counting on you for relays and team spirit. Please remember to STAY UNTIL THE END OF THE SESSION to cheer for all of your teammates, even if you are done swimming. All 13 and older swimmers are REQUIRED to warm-up at EVERY session with the team (even when not swimming in the session). All 13 and older swimmers are REQUIRED to attend the finals sessions (even when not swimming in an event) to watch and cheer on their teammates.
12. All swimmers who have a regular physical therapy routine are expected to continue this routine on schedule while at the meet.
13. Please WEAR YOUR GMA ATTIRE and represent your team with pride, respect and spirit!
Please HAVE A BLAST!! You have earned a GREAT MEET!! LET’S GO GMA!!
Laura Matuszak, GMA Head Coach