April 6, 2018
WCSC Parents and Swimmers,
Greetings from the Walnut Creek Swim Club! We are looking forward to another fun and successful season. Please read below for some important news items:
A Welcome Note from the Coaches: Swimmers: We are all looking forward to meeting and learning about you and your family! Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of your practice time. Please be ready in your suit, cap and goggles. Below is your lead coach by age group:
- Age 8 and Under: Devon Knight
- Age 9-10: Mandy Sheehan
- Age 11-12: Tommy Ortega
- Age 13-18 and Head Coach: Vicky Dewey
Note from the Board President: On behalf of the WCSC Board, thank you for being part of our swim team family! From our long local history to top notch coaching to fun social opportunities, we are looking forward to kicking off this season on Monday, April 9th at our first practice. Also, to help both returning and new families, this year we are going to have a "Back to Pool Night" for parents which will help answer a lot of the key questions about the swim season and timed to occur before our first swim meet! "Back to Pool Night" will occur on a Wednesday night sometime in May, stay tuned for more details!
Volunteer Opportunity: Heading into this year we have an opening for the Co-Social Chair that is critical to fill. This position fulfills all but 2 of the dual meet job requirements for every family (same as every chair or board position). In addition if we are over staffed the chair positions are the first to be relieved of their job requirements. Finally, you get the joy of giving back to the team and get to know your fellow volunteers. The Co-Social Chair works with the experienced Social Chair to plan the major Social events for the team. These events are the Camping Trip, After Conference Party, and Trophy Night. If you are interested in volunteering or learning more about this position please contact Patrick McDonough at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobs Update: Our swim team cannot survive without volunteer help from all of our families. There are several different jobs available to suit every family’s schedule. Review the jobs descriptions on the website.
- This year every family will be responsible for volunteering at 6-8 dual meets. Final number of required jobs will be determined after registration is completed.
- We are creating a shepherding team this year. These parents will be responsible for preparing the “shepherding bucket” the night before the meet and assisting 8 & under swimmers to their swim lanes. Shepherding Team will not be required to work any other dual meet jobs. Training will be provided.
- We are recruiting parents for stroke and turn position. S&T volunteers will be on the pool deck in the thick of the action! Training will be provided. S&T parents will not be required to additional dual meet jobs.
If you are interested in being part of the shepherding or stroke and turn team, please contact Gita at email@example.com.
New Swimmer Swim Evaluations on Saturday April 7th: Swim evaluations to confirm the swimmer is swim team ready are on Saturday, April 7th from 2pm to 3pm for new swimmers age 8 and under. The evaluations will take about 5 to 10 minutes per swimmer. This swim evaluation will occur at the Clarke Swim Center located at Heather Farms Park, you can ask the front desk what part of the pool the WCSC assessments are occurring.
Spring Practice Starts Monday April 9th: Our spring practice is starting soon! Our first practice is fast approaching on Monday, April 9th and we look forward to seeing you at the pool! Practices will be on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays at Larkey Park Swim Center. Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of your practice time. Spring practice times by age:
- Age 6 and Unders: 5:15pm-5:45pm
- Age 7-8's & 9-10's: 5:45pm-6:30pm
- Age 11-12's and Up: 6:30pm-7:30pm
Suit Fitting on Thursday April 12th: Suit fitting for WCSC’s new swimsuits will be at the pool on Thursday, April 12th from 5pm to 7pm, have your swimmers get fitted before or after their spring practice!
See you all soon!