April 10, 2018
Table of Contents
- Long Course Season - Underway!
- Marlins In the News
- Practice Changes & Updates
- Special Olympics - Sat Apr 21
- Heart of a Champion Project
- Job Opening - IH Swim Club
- Upcoming Events / Deadlines
Long Course Season - Underway!
Marlins, The 2018 Long Course swim season begun last Monday, we hope you are having fun at the first week of practice! Below are the season preview items included in last week's newsletter, with some updates on this season's Red Group clinics on Saturdays.
A few notes:
- Long Course vs. Short Course: Short Course takes place in a 25 yard or meter pool, whereas long course takes place in a 50 meter pool. Long Course is sometimes noted as LCM for Long Course Meters. Short Course season typically runs from September to March. Long Course season runs from April thru July.
Also, the Olympics is held every four years in a long-course meter pool.
Typically the Marlins do not convert times from yards-to-meters (or vice versa), so your swimmer will have two different sets of best times.
- There are three quick sign-up deadlines in April for meets in May & June, see details at the bottom of newsletter. In order to commit Yes or No for your child to swim, please visit each meet page at cincy-marlins.com...click Edit Commitment at top right...and then click your swimmer's name. Also leave any comments for your swimmer's coach in the dialog box.
- This season will mark the return of monthly stroke clinics - in place of practice - for Red Groups on Saturday at Keating. Update: Specific Dates listed below under practice changes!
- The Marlins have a busy social calendar being planned next season. Included will be an FC Cincinnati Night, Canoe Outing for older swimmers, and a Kings Island Day for all. Stay tuned!
- Also a reminder, if your family does not plan to swim Long Course, please contact Jean Hendricks to be relieved of your volunteer commitments.
- Click Here for details regarding practice & meet schedules, also available on the front page of our website next to the rotating pictures.
Marlins In the News
A new area of the webpage is the Marlins In the News section under the Swimmers menu. This page is taking shape, but any publicity we can give our athletes, we are thrilled to include on the website!
Click link, or visit the Swimmers menu above. Also a great place to spread the word about our team are our multiple social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) listed on the left side of the website. Contact Tammi Karn-Morris for any social media callouts!
Practice Changes / Updates
Any upcoming changes will be communicated directly by your Lead Site Coach, also be sure to review your location’s Google Calendar at Cincy-Marlins.com -> Locations.
- Red Group Stroke Clinics: Saturdays Apr
28, May 26 and June 16
- On Apr 28 & May 26, all Red Groups will have dryland at 8:45 & clinic will run 9-10:30am! June 16 specific times are tbd.
- Red Group Stroke Clinics: Saturdays Apr 28, May 26 and June 16
- No current changes
- No current changes
Special Olympics - Sat Apr 21
(From Coach Abby)
It is that time of year again... the Special Olympic Swim Meet at Princeton. This is a favorite event for a lot of our families, and we hope you and your children can particpate! The meet will take place on , at Princeton High School, and it will run approximately from 11:00 am-3:00pm. The Marlins will help out with all aspects of the meet, and we will need quite a few helpers (swimmers, siblings, and parents). This is a great opportunity for our swimmers to really see just how great the sport of swimming is.
We have created a sign up for this event, so if your family would like to help out, please committ online. If you are a certified lifeguard or certified official, and would like to lifeguard or officiate during the meet, please send me a separate email.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me an email!
Heart of a Champion Project
As a valued supporter of the Jose Cerda Aquatic Foundation (JCAF), we would like to invite you to join us for this great opportunity on Monday, April 30th. We have been fortunate to receive a donation of the Huntington Bank Suite for the Reds vs. Brewers game that night, courtesy of Squirrels Water Polo player, and Sycamore alum, Adam Gunn. Adam works at Huntington Bank, and like you, is a firm believer in the mission of JCAF. We are offering our most important donors and supportersthe opportunity to continue showing your support for the programs sponsored by this organization, while also enjoying the game including unlimited food, drinks, and great company that evening, for $300 per person or $500 per couple. We can only accommodate 15 people, so please let us know that you would like to attend by April 13th.
The money raised will be directed to our Heart of a Champion project that we have created to support JCAF. For more details on our project, please see our web site:
John Alvord, Keegan Graham, Kirk Karbowsky, and Kieran McKenna
Job Opening - IH Swim Club
The Indian Hill Club, a swim and tennis club, is looking to hire a Head Swim Coach and two Assistant Swim Coaches for the summer 2018 season. If interested, please contact Jessica Replogle, IHC Swim Rep, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Events / Deadlines
Sign Up Deadline
|Special Olympics - Volunteers Needed. Princeton HS.||Sat Apr 21||All Marlins.||na|
|Senior Recognition Banquet. DeSha's Restaurant.||Sun Apr 22||Seniors. See email from Jean Hendricks.||na|
|Clippers Arctic Splash||May 11-13||All National, Blue, and Red Groups||Tues, Apr 17|
|CM Pepsi Spring Invite||May 18-20||All National, Blue and Red Groups||Mon, Apr 23|
|OSSC Splash Into Summer Invite||June 1-3||All National, Blue and Red Groups||Mon, Apr 23|
Quote: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
**If you have any great swimming or generally motivational quotes, please forward to Coach Ryan! Always looking for more...