April 11, 2018
I hope everyone is getting back into the school and swim routine after spring break. Please read through this email for important Reno Aquatic Club information.
Far Westerns Recap
RENO had a successful Far Western Championships in Santa Clara last weekend. Far Westerns is one of the fastest age-group swim meets in the country. The majority of the swimmers are from California, but this year there were swimmers from Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Washington.
Despite some rain on Friday, the weather cooperated the rest of the weekend and RENO swimmers performed very well. I heard on the pool deck that swimmers at spring Far Westerns typically produce 21% to 25% best times in the races throughout the meet. RENO had a best time rate of 56%! I am happy to see those results, but I am looking forward to having the swimmers race even faster.
Here is a quick summary of individual performances:
- Amaya Aramini – Best time in the only event of the weekend (200 back)
- Elena Aramini – Just missed best times in 100 free by .01 and 50 free by .23
- Katelyn Buono – Four best times (200 free, 100 fly, 200 IM, 500 free) and tied her best in the 400 IM; Top-10 finish in the 500 free after winning a swim-off in the 500 free to advance to finals
- Sam DeRuse – Four best times (200 free, 200 fly, 200 IM, 1000 Free); top-10 finish in the 200 back
- Emma Karam – 100% best times (200 back, 500 free, 100 back, 400 IM, 1000 free); top-10 finish in the 200 back with a new Sectional time standard
- Nathan McAlister – Two best times (100 fly and 200 fly); top-10 finish in the 100 fly
- David McLean – Five best times (400 IM, 100 free, 100 back, 500 free, 200 IM); Top-10 finishes in the 400 IM and 100 back
- Ella Palmer – Best time in the only event of the weekend by nearly 2 seconds (100 back)
- Aidan Pflieger – 100% best times (200 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 1650 free); top-10 finish in the 1650 free
- Alexia Taylor-Arredondo – One best time (200 free) and just off by .17 in the 50 free and .11 in the 100 free; top-10 finishes in the 50 free and 100 free
- Clarie Trevithick – Just off best time in 1000 free by 2 seconds; top-10 finishes in the 1000 free and 1650 free
Great job RENO swimmers!
RENO Banquet – April 29
The annual Reno Aquatic Club Banquet is set for Sunday, April 29 at the Eldorado. Please RSVP by April 25. Click here for more information and to RSVP.
RENO Summer Program
Registration for our summer program is now open. This is a great opportunity for children to become more water safe and for those who may be interested in participating in competitive swimmer. Click here to register.
Carson Intermountain Classic – May 25 – 27
The next local meet will be in Carson City on Memorial Day Weekend. This is a long course meet (50 meter pool versus 25 yard pool like Northwest). If this is your child’s first long course meet, you will need to enter with converted times from short course. Click here for an online conversion tool. If you have any questions on this process, please feel free to contact me.
Here are the next meets RENO will be attending:
- Folsom Spring Splash – April 20 – 22 (only 13 and over registration is open)
- Carson City Intermountain Long Course Meet – May 25 – 27 (all groups)
- Summer Sanders Invite – June 8 – 10 (qualified athletes only)
- RENO Gamble – June 22 – 24 (all groups)
Thank you and have a great week!