June 10, 2018
WCSC Parents and Swimmers,
Great first swim meet week! Please read below for some important news items:
COACHES CORNER: Teaching the elements of Competition. Rewards and Awards by Age Group and Mind Set:
Our goal as coaches is to teach, and create an atmosphere that learning, working hard (mentally and physically) and achievement is tied together and is in fact Fun! Mind Set changes by age group. We try to inch swimmers along as we teach and tie competition, awards, and practice all together.
Simply said, trying and completing something that is new especially in our younger age groups is something to be lauded. We do this by awarding participation ribbons when the 8 and U complete an event.
As the athlete gets a bit older we start to instill that being prepared, ie: what we do in practice is a direct result of what a swimmer gets in competition results. We start to build in an acknowledgement of perfecting the small elements. We do this at the end of the week by identifying a Swimmer of the Week Top Gun by age group. (Top Gun is for all age groups) This swimmer is chosen by showing that they are executing the small elements of our age group focus, as well as teamwork, spirt and sportsmanship. Hopefully the mind set has grown to realize FUN can be attributed to learning---practicing----executing-----equals reward and success.
The older mindset by age group we instill, patience and perseverance. Fun is the accomplishment of each and every practice. Goal setting is backed up with the “how am I going to get there?”
Take a look and review the journey with your kids and how there is FUN in a learning environment of our moto: a team of Character, Comradery and Commitment.
Other awards to Note and Review:
- Star Goal Times (printed on our home meet sheet and results)
- Personal Best Awards ( Personal Best Awards will start in a week, once we have established solid base times to work off of)
All the best of swimming and learning!
SUMMER SWIM PRACTICE SCHEDULE:
Summer swim practice is starting! Please note, on Monday, June 11th there is a non-standard practice time due to a City Rental. Here are the times:
TOMORROW SWIM TIME (Only on Monday, June 11th due to City Rental):
- Age 11 and up: 7:30-8:30am
- Age 9 and 10: 8:00-9am
- 6 and Under & 7-8: 9:00-9:30am
Standard Mon thru Friday Summer Swim Times (Non-Meet Days)
- Age 11 and Up: 7:30-9:00am
- Age 9 and 10: 9:00-10:00am
- Age 7 and 8: 9:00-9:45am
- 6 & Under: 9:45-10:15am
Adjusted Times on MEET DAYS (some Wednesdays & one Thursday):
- Age 11 and Up: 7:30-8:30am
- Age 9 and 10: 8:30-9:30am
- Age 7 and 8: 8:30-9:15am
- 6 & Under: No Practice
FRIDAY, JUNE 15TH 6 AND UNDER SOCIAL (sign up by Wed, June 13th): From 11:30am to 2:30pm on Friday, June 15 is our 6 and under pool party at Kristen Beeman-Moylan's house for the 6 and under swimmers! Please join us for pizza, ice cream and pool party fun! This is an opportunity for the kids to meet their fellow team mates and for the parents to meet other 6 and unders. There will also be a few coaches dropping by to say hi and answer any questions you might have. Please sign up here by Wed, June 13th: http://evite.me/YPfTDtxZbn (pool party location is in the evite). Any questions please call or text Kristin at (925)683-5663. (Please note – there are other socials for the older ages later on in the summer, stay tuned!)
MONDAY, JUNE 18TTH BIG BUDDY/LITTLE BUDDY SOCIAL (sign up by Wed June 13th):
- What is it? This is team event run by the WCSC Nightriders to build team camaraderie. The team is split in half by age and each younger swimmer is paired with an older swimmer for a picnic. The older swimmer brings a simple dinner. The younger swimmer brings dessert and drinks. Swimmers will be paired before the event and will contact each other. There are other activities the Nightriders will lead.
- When is it? Monday June 18th
- Where is it? In the park next to our pool.
- When does it start and end? 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
- How do I sign up? Go to the link below by Wednesday June 13th and sign up to attend!!! www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0A48AFA72BA5FE3-2018
UPCOMING MEET DETAILS:
Wednesday June 13 v Rudgear Estates @ Home: Warm-ups at 5:10, meet start at 6 pm. Please remember to let the coaches know if you are unable to attend the meet at the last minute. As a reminder, our team area is the west side of the pool, please leave the north side available for our guests.
Thursday (yes we said Thursday) June 14 @LMYA: Meet will take place at Accalanes High School 1200 Pleasant Hill Road, Lafayette. Warm-ups at 4:55, meet start at 5:30 pm. This is the only Thursday meet of the season. Notes from LMYA Regarding the meet:
- Please park in a designated parking space. You may be ticketed if you park in the drop off zone along the front edge of the school.
- The pool will open for set up at 4:00 PM. Visiting teams may set up in the aisle ways East, West and North of the pool just outside the gates. All teams are welcome to sit on the bleachers.
- The pool deck is reserved for LMYA Swim team.
- NOTE: NO ALCOHOL can be brought to or consumed at the pool or school. We use the Acalanes High School District’s facilities and must strictly adhere to this policy . Please inform your team members they will be asked to leave the facilities immediately if they violate this policy. Your entire team may also be asked to leave. THE FACILITY IS UNDER VIDEO SURVEILLANCE.
There is no meet on Saturday, June 16.
JUNE 26th GIANTS BASEBALL GAME:
- WCSC has a block of seats for the Tuesday, June 26th Giants game at 7:15pm vs. the Colorado Rockies.
- View Reserve tickets have been reserved for us at $28/each. We have 75 seats available. To guarantee your spots, reserve soon! If those sell out, we may have an opportunity for more seats, but that will be done via a wait list and is subject to availability.
- Tickets are now available on our Square Up team site and can be accessed by going to https://squareup.com/store/wcsc-walnut-creek-swim-club. This will be the only way to pay and confirm your seats. Once in the Square Up click on the Single Ticket $28 rectangle and it will lead you to the cart where you can change the quantity to add more seats. In the checkout section, for pick up date and time: Choose any date and time (it doesn’t matter what you will choose since tickets will be delivered at practice and/or a meet a few days before the game.)
- For questions please email Cherie Gann at firstname.lastname@example.org or find her at practice on Monday and Tuesday and the meet on Wednesday (she will not be at practice Thursday, 6/7). GO Giants!
JULY 10TH SWIM A THON FUNDRAISER: Save the date...Swim A Thon is coming Tuesday, July 10th during practice. We will start collecting donations and pledges soon. Don't forget WCSC is eligible for corporate matching. Details coming! Go WCSC.
JULY 13 – 15 WCSC ANNUAL CAMPING TO CAMP RICHARDSON:
- SAVE the date: July 13 - July 15 (drive up on Friday, drive back on Sunday)
- We currently have hotel rooms, single camping sites, double sites, and two RV sites. Please contact email@example.com as soon as possible if you are interested in the RV sites.
- Signups for the hotel and camping sites as well as more info on costs coming soon!
- Thanks! Shellie Leavitt and Toni Hatamiya
- We have several job sign ups available for upcoming dual meets. As a reminder every family is required to work 6 jobs during the season and every chair/board member is required to work 2 jobs during the season. Thank you to everyone who has completed their sign ups. Our team is only has strong as our amazing volunteer crew!
- If you need to add or remove a job sign up and the sign up date has passed, contact Gita for assistance.
- Volunteer deposit checks should all be in. Please contact Gita ASAP if you have not provided to Gita yet.
- Buyouts are no longer available.
- As a reminder, swimmers will be ineligible to swim if families if these volunteer requirements are not met.
- Looking for a job away from the pool deck? Contact Gita to learn how to prep the shepherding bucket before every meet.
- The sub list for the 2018 season has been updated. Look under the "Meets/Practice" tab to access this list. Subs are paid $30/job. If you know someone that is interested in being a sub, please have him/her contact Gita at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an easy way for returning college students to earn extra $$ while home for the summer!
- All City and Conference meet job sign ups will be available 1-2 weeks before the meet. If you know you will be unavailable to work at this meet, please start looking for a substitute now since we will need "all hands on deck".
Parkas will be personalized next week and Adrienne will have them to distribute on 6/15. Sorry for the delay. Adrienne is also distributing a WCSC swim cap to every swimmer, please find her to get your swimmers free swim cap.
See you tomorrow at the pool!