August 25, 2019
GCY FAQ's/Updates: We Start Practicing this Week!
- PLEASE REMEMBER, August is "On the House", we do not charge for August! This first week we are NOT going to be FULLY staffed, we still have coaches in training who will also be shadowing, we have several out of town, and a few more finishing summer committments. DESPITE this we expect to have successful first week practices! No attendance requirements this first week, we want all swimmers to get off to a great start academically!
- Reidsville YMCA and Hayes-Taylor YMCA will need to start Tuesday, Sept 3rd, NOT next week. All swimmers registered are invited to the Bryan YMCA site for practice, we are recommending the Makos Fit time for all, 6pm-7:15pm. This will only be for this first week, but will be an option for you also on your non-Reidsville days.
- The early registration period has ended, BUT obviously we are still registering swimmers, the only difference now is that we need your Registration Fee PLUS the first month's fees. We have well over 250 swimmers now ready to go, so still expecting more registrations, please feel free to bring in on your first week EXCEPT for Spears YMCA, Spears is currently FULL, but we may have openings as we make sure everyone is in the right group.
- We do start mornings this week too, beginning Monday morning at GAC 5am-7am AND we do our Body Pump Classes for National Prep, National 1, and National 2 groups and Senior Sprint Groups, they will be Tues/Thurs 5:45am-6:45am, please walk-in at 5:30am to set up your equipment!
I missed the early registration period, can I still register?
YES OF COURSE! The early registration period has ended, BUT obviously we are still registering swimmers, the only difference now is that we need your Registration Fee PLUS the first month's fees. We have over 250 swimmers now ready to go, so still expecting more registrations, please feel free to bring in on your first week EXCEPT for Spears YMCA, Spears is currently FULL, but we may have openings as we make sure everyone is in the right group.
Are we still having the annual meetings at each site to welcome new members?
YES WE WILL! The specific site gatherings will occur on the following days, and will be with either Cynthia OR Brad, at all sites EXCEPT Bryan OR GAC, Cynthia and Brad will be available at Bryan OR GAC daily throughout the season, if you need more than 15 mins before/after practice just send us an email. There are 2 large meetings we'd like ALL parents to attend if possible and they will be Coach-led (Brad, Stuart and key members of the coaching staff NOT running practices):
Dates/Times/Locations are Still Tentative/Subject to Change:
Meetings (attend one, all parents and swimmers who are not
- Saturday, August 31st, 10am at the Bryan YMCA
- Saturday, Sept 14th, 10am at Bryan YMCA
Meetings at Sites, Sept 9th-Sept 18th (attend one, recommended for
- Spears YMCA Monday, Sept 9th 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Spears YMCA Tuesday, Sept 10th 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Ragsdale YMCA Wednesday, Sept 11th 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Hayes-Taylor YMCA Monday, Sept 16th 5:30-6:30pm
- Reidsville YMCA Tuesday, Sept 17th 5:30pm-6:30pm
- GAC/Bryan: Cynthia and Brad will be available at Bryan OR GAC daily throughout the season, if you need more than 15 mins before/after practice just send us an email.
- National Prep, National
1, National 2 and Senior Sprint
- Nat Prep: Meeting will
be at GAC tba during first 2 weeks of practice
- TOPIC: Goal Forms, Season Plan, Meets to Pick
- N1, N2, and SS: Meeting
will be at GAC tba during first 2 weeks of practice
- TOPIC: Goal Forms, Season Plan, Meets to Pick, PLUS college recruiting
- Nat Prep: Meeting will be at GAC tba during first 2 weeks of practice
What equipment does my swimmer need?
Here is our Equipment List, RECOMMENDED that all kids have ALL equipment by Sept. 9th:
- EQUIPMENT LIST BY GROUP
- Team Fitting Scheduled: 4:30-7:30pm at the GAC Thursday, August 29th
- RECOMMENDING TEAM SUIT and for groups requiring SHORT fins (Nat) get the SPEEDO SWITCHBLADE FINS
Where are Weekday Morning Practices and Who's Eligible?
Prep, Senior Sprint, National Prep, National 1, National 2 and of
course Morning Only are all eligible:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday at GAC 5am-7am - High School Ages, 5:30am-7am for Middle School Ages
- Tuesday, Thursday at Bryan YMCA 5am-7am - High School Ages, 5:30am-7am for Middle School Ages
- Body Pump 5:45am-6:45am (ALL GCY member parents AND Masters Swimmers/Coaches ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND!)
Who do I contact for what?
Here is breakdown of the GCY Staff contact list for specific and all general issues.
- Swim Team Director, Any/All Questions:
- Swim Team Administrator, Billing/Fees/Registration:
- General Levels/Grouping:
- Masters Swimming:
- Certifications/Staff Training:
- Makos Groups:
- Age Group Level Training: Senior Prep/National Prep
- National/Senior Sprint
- Site Locations:
- GCY Makos Club (Parent Board)
Can my swimmer do meets AND/OR do they have to do meets?
YES THEY CAN and NO THEY DON'T HAVE TO, BUT...ALL swimmers have a meet schedule, ALL groups! We recommend that the swimmers attend meets regularly in order to develop good habits and correlate practices to performance better. Swimmers that do meets IMPROVE at a higher rate, and coaches will generally make sure a swimmer entered in a meet is prepared to do well, so honestly they will get a little extra attention before/after meets than those not doing meets. In year's past, we've had about 40% of the team do meets regularly, and 65 % of the team do at least one meet...those numbers are pretty low so we'd like to increase meet attendance this year! Here are the 2 meet schedules, these are tentative and subject to change, but usually right on:
2019-2020 GCY Meet Schedules Announcement
ALL GCY Meets are now OFFICIAL, here are the two 2019-2020 GCY Meet Schedules:
2019-2020 GCY Meet Schedule_Competitive Groups - Age Group, Senior Prep, Senior Sprint, National Prep, National 1, National 2, and all swimmers who are USA Swimming Registered (higher registration fee of $110 or $125)
2019-2020 GCY Meet Schedule_Makos Groups - Jr Makos, Makos 1, Makos 2, Makos Fit, and Homeschool (all swimmers NOT USA Swimming registered, who paid the lower $35 registration fee)
Meets are subject to change and several clusters exist for swimmers to choose most appropriate meet(s), coaches will also discuss and make recommendations!
Will you still allow Makos Fit and Homeschool Swimmers the option of paying the higher registration fee in order to do ALL Meets that GCY will be attending?
YES WE WILL - please contact Cynthia if you'd like to do the $110 registration fee...the BIG difference in pricing is primarily for the USA Swimming Registration Fee WE HAVE TO PAY for each swimmer that is USA Swimming Registered (approximately $70). The $35 registration fee allows you to swim as a YMCA registered swimmer only in the meets indicated on the Makos Group schedule (second one).