NKB COVID-19 Update, March 13, 2020

March 13, 2020

Hello NKB Families,

We hope this email finds you healthy and safe. 

As you know, the COVID-19 situation is very fluid, with updates and information coming seemingly by the minute.  NKB is closely monitoring notices and advisories of the Governments of Canada and Ontario as well as the World Health Organization down to Ottawa Public Health. 

Swim Canada and Swim Ontario are doing the same, and working first for the health of all.  Following that priority, they are carefully considering what impacts there are to the swimming community as well as working to develop contingency and alternate plans or cancel as appropriate.  At present, we know the following.  Please see the SNC and Swim Ontario websites for full specifics.

  • All competitions have been suspended between now and April 20. 
  • Further details about Olympic Trials and National selections will be forthcoming.
  • Easterns has been cancelled.
  • NKB Cup, scheduled for NKB to host on April 17-19, has been postponed.  Further communications will be provided relating to this in the coming weeks. 

The City of Ottawa is also following the government and health officials directives.  Earlier today, the City of Ottawa confirmed they will be closing the pools, among other things through April 5. 

  • We will have practice as usual through today, Friday, March 13. 
  • Following today, practices in Ottawa will not resume until the facilities reopen. 
  • Further communications will be forthcoming as this evolves.

Please monitor social media, websites, and emails from all of these sources – this seems to be the first line of communication.

NKB’s priorities lie with the health and safety of our athletes, and we wish good health and safety for all of our families as we navigate these difficult times. 

Scott Faithfull, on behalf of the Nepean Kanata Barracudas Board of Directors, Coaches, and Staff