NKB COVID-19 Update, March 31, 2020

March 31, 2020

Hello NKB Families,

We hope this email finds you well and settling into some positive routines as we continue moving forward. 

NKB at Home
We have been enjoying the growing NKB community on Facebook, and hope you will join us in the team group if you have not done so already.  Please encourage your athletes to engage and share, too! 

Please remember that these workouts, challenges, and communications are meant to be positive and supportive.  We encourage everyone to engage, but remind you they are optional.  If there is stress, anxiety, or concern revolving around these, then please make the right choice for you and your family’s well being.  Please also ensure that when you are working out, you are choosing to use an appropriate space with appropriate supervision as needed.  Nothing you do should cause pain either, and in the case you are experiencing any pain we ask that you stop the activity and address the health concern. 

NKB Continues Forward
In the swimming world, we know it has been a hard week with the news of the Olympic postponements, Swimming Canada cancellations, and Swim Ontario cancellations.  However, we want to take a moment to reassure you that while this means our season will now look different and our end line will feel very different, we are very much still moving forward.  NKB has always been and continues to be a process oriented program.  Building the proper foundations, developing stepping stones and process goals, and celebrating the long term development of our athletes is at our core.  Championships having been cancelled is not equivalent to our season being “over” nor do we stop moving forward.  We will keep supporting our athletes in the pursuit of their goals, and we will return to the water as soon as conditions allow. 

Updates, as of March 31

  • Please continue to follow the evolving advisories of the World Health Organization, Ottawa Public Health, and our governments.  Stay home, wash your hands, and socially distance yourself if you must go out.  We are all in this together. 
  • Swimming Canada and Swim Ontario have both cancelled all summer championships, with the status of open water events still pending. 
  • The moratorium on sanctioned events is still in place through April 30.  This means that even if practices resume, competitions will not resume prior to April 30.
  • Swim Canada, Swim Ontario, and the other partners in our programming are obviously not able to give specific timelines, but are encouraging us, when appropriate, to work with local authorities to determine when it is safe to return to all other aspects of our programming, including practices and dryland as a team. 
  • City of Ottawa facilities, and therefore our pools, remain closed.  We have no recent updates, and are waiting for information from the city in regards to updated timelines. 
  • Swim A Thon is in a holding pattern for the time being.  It remains to be seen if we will be able to do the actual swim and at what date that will be possible. 
  • Volunteer and sign-up for NKB events and activities has been paused for the moment.  NKB is working diligently to put all the pieces together at this time, including reviewing FPPS. When we have more clarity we will provide further communication. 
  • NKB Cup is cancelled.  The remaining NKB hosted meets are postponed, likely to be cancelled or altered in format depending on training timelines and future developments. 

We are still in this together, and know that together we will continue to be Mighty.

Stay Home, Stay Mindful, Stay Mighty,