March 24, 2021
“IT’S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS!!!”
We hear this all the time, but it is uncommon to see that creed truly manifested in the actions of people and organizations. During COVID, it has been downright rare.
This weekend, EMAC did just that…we demonstrated that we are ALL-IN on ALL OF our kids.
I was on a call with leaders from the MA and NJ LSC’s the other day. Everyone was lamenting the lack of opportunities for developing swimmers. There have been plenty of USA Swimming opportunities for the fastest swimmers that have the cuts to swim in the fastest meets.
What I did not realize was how rare it has been for developing swimmers to get a chance to compete over the last year. Many have not even swum a single race. With that context, it makes what we did this weekend that much more gratifying. You can bet I was happy to tell them that our club collaborated with another club and drove 1.5 hours down the road to make those opportunities happen.
EMAC swimmers, parents, coaches, and BoD members showed up in droves from Harrisburg to York to see all our kids to the finish lines…and our kids did not disappoint!
In reviewing the results files, I stopped counting after I passed 400 best times. We have triple crown award winners, PIAA state hardware, and EMAC ALL-TIME Top-10 SWIMS to communicate.
FASTEST TIMES: OVER 400!!!
- Check out the results and improvements file HERE.
TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
(3 fastest times in am, make finals in all 3, 3 fastest times again at night)
Congratulations to these up-and-coming swimmers!!!
- Reid Lovett
- Jared Petre
- Boys AAA Team 2nd place (#1 public school in PA)
- Ryan DeJohn: 2nd Place (200 Med Relay)
- Michael Iacobelli: 2nd Place (200 Med Relay) 6th Place (200 IM) 13th Place (100 BR)
- Alex Magditch: 3rd Place (200 FR Relay) 6th Place 400 FR Relay
- Luke Rautzhan: 2nd Place (200 Med Relay, 50 FR) 3rd Place (200 FR Relay, 100 FR)
- Connor Shriver: 3rd Place (200 FR Relay) 6th Place (400 FR Relay) 14th Place (200 FR)
- Nick Soares: 2nd Place (200 Med Relay, 100 BK) 3rd Place (200 FR Relay) 6th Place (400 FR Relay)
- Andrew Taylor: 6th Place (400 Free Relay)
- Chloe Vlaeminck: 16th Place (100 FL)
EMAC ALL-TIME TOP-TEN SWIMS/TEAM RECORDS
- Norah Fegely (9-10): 200 BK (8th All-time)
- Carson Mosel (11-12): 100 BR (9th All-time), 200 BR (6th All-time)
- Michael Iacobelli (Open): 200 BR (2nd All-time) 200 IM (4th All-time)
- Luke Rautzhan (Open): 50 FR (2nd All-time) 100 FR (NEW TEAM RECORD – 45.61)
- Nick Soares (Open): 100 BK (NEW TEAM RECORD – 49.62) 200 IM (10th All-time)
IF I MISSED SOMEONE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW
- There is a tremendous amount of data to work through. If I missed someone, it wasn’t intentional. Please let me know, and I will make sure we recognize the achievement.
No coach, swimmer, or parent were spared frustration this year. There were times we had three coaches on-deck from 10-11 pm to get a practice in for our Killer Bees. Age Group families dealt with ever-shifting schedules and limited practice opportunities. Everyone dealt with the anxiety of possibly getting sick.
I can sum up the mindset easily, "Protocols...protocols...protocols...stay healthy...hopefully we will have a chance."
We could’ve given up! Instead, we went ALL-IN on ALL OF our kids.
ALL-IN: We (coaches and parents) did everything we could to keep swimmers in the pool and create opportunities.
ALL OF: Every kid got a shot. From brand new 8&U swimmers to our fastest swimmers, EVERY kid got a shot. We are one of the only teams in all of MA that can say that.
We hope you noticed that during what was one of the most historic weekends in the history of EMAC, we weren't out on social media. Rather, we had our heads down and our eyes on the prize of enriching the lives of our members with substantive efforts. The smiles on our kids' faces mean more to me than any like or share that will ever take place.
You have heard me mention several times through the last year that it is not our job to make this year fair; it is our job to make it worth it. Looking back at the tribulations that led to our historic weekend, I think it is fair to say that we accomplished that.
LAST ONE FAST ONE!
We have 21 swimmers headed to Carlisle this weekend to participate in KA Senior Meet. Let’s make sure we are cheering them to the finish line as well. Given the craziness of this year, our focus at this meet isn’t going to be fastest times. Our focus is going to be “a good time.” We want our swimmers to have “a good time” chasing that dream with their teammates. Fast swimming will flow from there.
I want to end this with a huge THANK YOU to all of our swimmers, parents, and staff who hung tough and supported our team and our mission. I hope those smiles this weekend were as gratifying for you as they were for me.
WAY TO GO, GREEN SWARM!!!