May 13, 2021
Hello Newton Shark Swimmers and Families!
Below is some information we have received so far from the Walkill Valley Swim Conference regarding the 2021 Summer Swim Season.
We will continue to keep you updated with any information as we receive it.
We’ve surveyed all of our member teams this Spring and have made the following decisions for the upcoming 2021 Season:
- We will have a (modified) season this summer! It will run Mid-June-July 31.
- At this time, all existing teams will participate.
- Teams may determine their own start date to begin training.
- All participants must accept and acknowledge our league’s Hold Harmless Clause to be able to participate as a swimmer, coach, team official, or meet official this season. Team’s will be provided this to include in their team’s registration materials. Team’s will then be required to verify to the league that all of their team members have acknowledged such.
- Teams will be required to comply with a set of provided safety standards as dictated by local, state, and federal guidelines. It may become necessary for some facilities to make either procedural or physical modifications at their facilities to be in compliance.
- As many teams will be unable to host other teams at their facilities, we will be conducting virtual dual meets this season. Guidance, meet files, schedules, etc. will be shared with team personnel. We will revisit the feasibility of more traditional ‘in-person’ meets prior to the start of the season.
- Championships will be a virtual format. Tentative date: Saturday, 7/31/21 (Rain date 8/1/21).
- The league will continue the tradition of holding our annual Swim-A-Long. All teams will conduct their own team events to raise money and awareness for a (yet undisclosed) recipient on Wednesday, 7/14/21.
- Our annual Preseason Meeting will take place virtually on Monday, 5/24/21 at 7:00 pm. Due to the virtual nature of this meeting, we are limiting discussion to only one representative per team. Meeting information, link, and agenda will be distributed shortly.
- As this crisis has been ever-changing and fluid over the past year, we fully anticipate changes will arise that will need to be addressed. We ask everyone to be understanding, cooperative, and flexible as we all work together to give our swimmers the best experience as possible this summer.