May 25, 2021
Summer season means long course training, outside pools, and more free time with teammates as summer vacation gets started! This time of the year is both fun and challenging for many swimmers as long course practices can take a few weeks to get used to, along with more downtime outside of the pool can bring more intense workouts. Many great coaches have said that long course racing is the true test of swimming because athletes swim longer distances at a time with fewer walls and underwaters. We want to help our Georgia swimmers crush it this summer, so we've compiled a list of some helpful tips for conquering summer training!
Tips for Summer Training:
- Prioritize your recovery
- Hydration, sleep, enough protein, etc
- Stay around positive people that are going to get you through
the difficult practices
- Be a positive influence yourself
- Don't be afraid to take some time for yourself to reflect on your training by journaling
- Hype up your teammates at workouts
- A positive and encouraging atmosphere makes a huge difference on a daily basis
- Work the little details
- Give your best effort day in and day out
- Consistency is key
- Don't forget to HAVE FUN!
As always, this is not an exhaustive list, we hope that we can help encourage our athletes to do the best they can this summer and beyond. We cannot wait to see our Georgia swimmers compete this summer and have fun doing what they love!
To read more about how to make the most of your summer training, check out these links:
- Swimming World Magazine: A Swimmer's Summer - Tips for Improvement During Long Course Season
- SwimSwam: Things to Focus on During the Summer Season
- SwimSwam: 9 Training Habits of Elite Swimmers
- Swimming World Magazine: Spice Up Your Summer Training