June 8, 2021
Please read this email carefully. It has very important procedural instructions about Time Trials (June 12) and the first Monday night B meet (June 14). Deadlines for registering for these events are soon - please register early. If your child is swimming in the meet, you are expected to volunteer. Instructions for registering your swimmer(s) and signing up to volunteer are below.
TIME TRIALS (Saturday June 12th 7:30am-12:00pm)
Registration Deadline: June 10
What are Time Trials? Does my child have to go to Time Trials? If this is your family’s first Time Trials, please see Question 1 in the Team Site FAQs for an overview of Time Trials.
How do I sign my swimmer up for Time trials?
Parents need to sign up their swimmer(s) for Time Trials via TeamUnify by Thursday, June 10 . Coaches will NOT deck enter swimmers at the meet. Even if your swimmer is not able to attend, please declare your swimmer is not attending.
- Step 1- Sign into your account on www.whompingturtles.org. Go to Events (under the scrolling pictures on the Homepage) -> Swim Meets -> Time Trials -> click on the Edit Commitment button.
- Step 2- Scroll down to where you can see your Swimmer(s) Names listed under Click on Member Name to declare for this Event and click on your first swimmer’s name.
- Step 3- Choose Yes, please sign my swimmer up for this event or No, thanks, my swimmer will NOT attend this event. If choosing No, then click Save Changes. Repeat previous steps if you have other swimmers. If choosing yes, continue on to Step 4.
- Step 4- Scroll down to Day 1 Session 1 section. *Click on the left hand boxes to choose the events your swimmer wants to swim at Time Trials. Swimmers are expected to swim all 4 strokes if they are legal, even if one stroke isn’t their “favorite”. They may also swim the 100 IM if they are legal. Click on Save Changes.
- Step 5- Repeat the above process for each of your swimmers.
INTRASQUAD MONDAY B MEET (Monday June 14th 5:30-9:00)
Registration Deadline: June 13
What is a Monday B Meet? What is the difference between a B meet and an A meet?
For an overview of B meets and A meets, please see Question 2 in the Team Site FAQs.
How do I sign my swimmer up for the June 14 B Meet and all B Meets this summer?
To sign your swimmer up for the June 14 Intrasquad B Meet and all B Meets this season, follow the same steps as signing up for Time Trials. For the first B Meet on June 14, you may sign your swimmer up for 2 events if they swam in Time Trials. If your swimmer(s) did not swim in Time Trials, please contact Coach Kelly Rose to determine whether you should sign them up for all four strokes (if they are legal) at the first B meet on June 14. There will be no IM swum at the June 14 B meet. Please note the deadline of June 13 to sign-up.
VOLUNTEER EXPECTATIONS THIS SEASON
There are over 40 volunteer spots needed to run each B Meet and Time Trials this summer, and lots of volunteer needs for other team events. IF YOUR CHILD IS SWIMMING IN A MEET, IT IS EXPECTED THAT A PARENT IS SIGNED UP TO VOLUNTEER! See here for descriptions of various volunteer jobs this summer. Instructions to sign-up to volunteer are below. [Certified deck officials will sign up separately with the Chief of Officials, Dan Russell].
- Step 1- Sign into your account on www.whompingturtles.org . Go to Events (under the scrolling pictures on the Homepage) -> Swim Meets -> Time Trials.
- Step 2- Click on the Job Signup button next to the Edit Commitment button for Time Trials on the homepage.
- Step 3- Click the box for the Job each parent would like to volunteer for during Time Trials. Click Signup button in lower left hand corner at bottom of page.
- Step 4- If you are signing yourself up for a volunteer position, enter your phone number in the Optional Contact Info: box that pops up. If signing up for your spouse/partner, please enter their name and phone number in the Optional Contact Info box that pops up.
DESIGNATE YOUR AVAILABILITY FOR A MEETS
Swimmers qualify for A meets based on their times at Time Trials and at A and B Meets, as well as the coaches’ evaluation of how the team can best match up against our opponent for that week. It is essential that our Coaches and Team Reps know who is available to participate in the “A” meets early in the season. Please update your availability for each “A” meet when signing up for Time trials and our First monday B Meet. Please note that indicating your availability does not guarantee that your swimmer will swim in an A meet, but instead informs the coaches of which swimmers will be available for each A meet.
- Step 1 – Login to your account.
- Step 2 – From the home page, scroll down to the list of Swim Meets, identify the first A swim meet and click on the Edit Commitment button.
- Step 3 – This will open the Event Signup page. Next, click your swimmer’s name.
- Step 4 – Set your swimmer’s availability by selecting a value from the Declaration dropdown list. (This is not guaranteeing your swimmer will be swimming at this A meet. This indicates to the coaches that your swimmer will be in town and available to swim if they are one of the qualifying swimmers. Knowing who is available before seeding is extremely helpful to our coaches and streamlines the process. When you are finished, click the Save Changes button.)
- Step 5 – Repeat the steps above for each of your swimmers, for all 5 “A” Swim Meets.
PANCAKE FRIDAYS ARE BACK!
We are very excited that Pancake Fridays (a favorite Highlands tradition) will be back this summer! Swim and Dive Team Pancake Breakfasts will start on Friday, June 18th and we need volunteers to help on a weekly basis with this fun activity that so many swimmers love! Note that we will be serving pancakes to the kids outside this year.
We are looking for someone to be the Pancake Lead this season. If you would consider helping the team in this very important role, please contact Cheryl Farley ( [email protected] ) or Gillian Russell ( [email protected] ). All supplies are provided, no grocery shopping is required! Being the lead involves monitoring supplies and organizing volunteers - you do not have to be there for every pancake Friday!
Volunteers will be asked to serve one of two shifts.
(1) 8:15am to 10:15am for helping to set up, cook and serve the 12 & over swimmers, or
(2) 10:00am to 12:15pm for helping to cook, serve the 11 & under swimmers and the dive session 1& 2, and clean up
Pancake Breakfast Job SignUps can be found at www.whompingturtles.org -> Go to Events (under the scrolling pictures on the Homepage) -> Social Events → Pancake Fridays.
Cheryl & Gillian
Highlands Swim Team Reps
IT’S TIME TO WHOMP!