August 21, 2021
Team Montana topped the team scores in the LSC Team division and scored 10th overall at the 2021 Western Zone Senior Champs. Montana Swimming was well represented by the 46 athletes that traveled to Clovis, CA July 27 through 31, 2021. Team Montana swam very well, had fun making new or better friends and learned a lot about energy management at five-day meet with temperatures over 105 degrees. Top finishes and accomplishments for the meet included:
- The girls 400 Medley Relay consisting of Lily Milner, Rylee McColley, Julia Huffmaster and Ada Qunell won the event and set a meet record.
- Danica Varda won the 200 Breaststroke with a Toyota US Open qualifying time.
- Rylee McColley finished second in the 100 Breaststroke qualifying for both SC and LC Junior Nationals.
- Lily Milner achieved a Winter Juniors cut in the 200 backstroke.
- Julia Huffmaster finished second in both the 200 and 400 Individual Medley.
- Jackson Moe achieved a Futures qualifying time in the 50 freestyle.
One of the goosebump-raising highlights was watching the first ever Women’s Olympic 1500 final on a big screen at the hotel to see Katie Ledecky and Erica Sullivan of Team USA get gold and silver medals. Team Montana watched that race with the Sandpipers of Nevada, teammates of Erica Sullivan.
The girls 400 Medley Relay consisting of Lily Milner, Rylee McColley, Julia Huffmaster and Ada Qunell won the event and set a meet record. Dale Ammon, Western Zone Director, congratulates the team.