May 5, 2022
This announcement is being sent out to our current members in case you know of someone who would be interested in joing the Barracudas for the summer. Feel free to copy & paste.
Barracuda Swim Club Summer Program
With the weather warm and the water cool, swimming is the perfect sport for the summer! With that in mind, our club offers a special Summer Program. This program is a great summer activity for children who have expressed an interest in swimming. The summer program consists of ability-appropriate practices and the option of summer swim league swim meets.
Swimmers will be evaluated and assigned to practice groups based on their swimming level. They will practice alongside other Barracuda swimmers with similar abilities. They will be coached by USA Swimming-certified coaches. They will learn and improve swimming techniques, meet new friends, and gain confidence in the water.
Summer Swim League
Swimmers have the option of participating in small swim meets through the East Tennessee Summer Swim League. The meets are usually held in the evenings at locations in and around the Johnson City-Kingsport area. Think of it like Little League for swimming! The season culminates on July 23 with a big Championship Meet at the Kingsport Aquatic Center. (Please note that a child must have swum in at least two regular-season meets in order to participate in the Championship Meet.)
The summer swimmers will practice within the Barracuda Swim Club’s established practice structure. They will receive a free evaluation and be assigned to one of our practice groups.
Their practices will be held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The Summer League meets are traditionally held on Tuesday evenings.
Practices and meets are optional, but highly encouraged. If a child wishes to participate in the Summer League, parents will submit a separate online meet sign up form indicating which meets their child(ren) will attend.
In situations where a practice may have to be cancelled due to weather-related issues, they will not be able to be made up. There will be a special all-team practice on the 4th of July.
The Summer Program season will begin on Tuesday, May 31, and end on Monday, July 25.
A child needs to be able to swim 25 yards doing freestyle and 25 yards doing backstroke at a novice level.
The cost of the Summer Program is $160. This includes all summer practice sessions, summer league meet entries (including the Championship Meet), team shirt, team swim cap, and coaching.
Step 1: Schedule a free evaluation at your preferred site by contacting the coach listed below. This evaluation will determine a child’s readiness for the team and help us place the swimmers in their correct practice groups. It is encouraged that parents arrange an evaluation prior to the start of the season (May 31).
Johnson City: Coach Chris Coraggio [email protected]
Kingsport: Coach Gian Polignano [email protected]
Step 2: After the evaluation, register with the team online through the team website (www.BarracudaSwimClub.org). Click the Online Registration button on the home page. After their evaluation, new swimmers may be registered beginning on May 1.
Step 3: If you want to participate in the Summer League meets, fill out the online Google form indicating which meets your child will be attending. The Summer League Meet Schedule (as well as the link to the sign up form) is on the BSC Team Summer League page on our website.
1. My child is already on the Barracudas. If he/she wishes to participate in the summer league meets, do they also have to join the summer program? No. Barracuda Swim Club members automatically get to participate in the summer league meets as part of their membership. Simply use the Summer League Sign Up Form found on our BSC Team Summer League page to be a part of that opportunity.
2. We will be taking a few weeks off during the summer for family vacation (or camp or summer school, etc). Can we receive a discount? Unfortunately, no. The summer program budget is designed to be very cost-effective already. We will still be offering coaching, practices, and meets while you are away and will still have to cover those expenses.
3. If my child wants to participate in the bigger USA Swimming Meets that the Barracuda Swim Club attends during the summer, may he/she do so with a Summer Program membership? The summer program membership does not cover entry and participation in the bigger USA Swimming meets. To participate in those, a swimmer must join the club with a traditional membership.
4. If children find that swimming is something that they want to continue after the summer, can they join the Barracuda Swim Club in the fall? Yes! After the summer, we take a short break to allow children to get back into the flow of school, to let the coaches take some well-deserved vacation, and to let our year-round swimmers mentally and physically recharge. The fall season will begin in mid- to late August and your child(ren) will be welcome to continue their swimming with us!
5. My child loves to swim but is hesitant to compete. Can he/she still join and not participate in the summer league meets? The summer league meets are optional. However, while competing might seem daunting to some children, the meets are a lot of fun. We would encourage you and your child to come to one of the early meets to just to watch. If there is a change of heart, we will be able to get them signed up for meets later in the season.
Any other questions can be sent to Head Coach Chris Coraggio at [email protected]