May 13, 2022
It is hard to believe how soon summer swim season is starting, but our first practice is Monday, May 16 and time trials are in 4 weeks!! We are ready to WHOMP!
There is a lot of information included in this email (topics listed below). We will try to keep future communications more brief. Please read everything carefully. We are also always happy to answer any and all questions that aren’t answered in this email.
Open House - This Saturday!
8 & under Swim Team & Mini Whompers assessments - final opportunity
Preseason Practice Sign-Up Genius - Swim team practice starts this Monday, May 16
Gear Needed This Season
Regular Season Practice Times - Swim Team and Minis
Volunteer Roles Still Needed
Please plan to stop by the Open House this Saturday, May 14 from 11:00am - 1pm at Highlands to say hello to some of our Highlands coaches. Pick up your t-shirt and Highlands cap, and purchase some fun Highlands spirit gear. Back by popular demand, Highlands towels will be available for $40 each. We will accept cash, check, or Venmo for team merch items.
In addition, our swim vendor, SuitUp, will be on site offering fittings if you are interested in purchasing a team suit. If you ordered items from the Team Store and selected “pick up at the Open House,” please be sure to come by to grab your gear! We will also have a fun craft and music and the Kona Ice truck will be stationed in the parking lot.
The Open House is also a great opportunity to ask the Team Reps and coaches all your questions about swim team, Mini Whompers, and the season. We hope to see everyone there!
8 & UNDER ASSESSMENTS….FINAL OPPORTUNITY
All swimmers who will be 8 or younger on June 1st and were not on swim team last summer must attend an assessment with our Highlands coaches. If your child has not had an assessment yet, please contact Head Coach Kelly Rose at [email protected] to schedule one. Criteria for swim team versus Mini Whompers can be found Here.
PRESEASON PRACTICE SIGN-UP FOR SWIM TEAM (not including Mini Whompers) - May 16 - June 10:
Swim Team practices will start this Monday May 16th for all swim team members and will be held in the afternoon/early evening. This schedule runs through Friday 6/10. (We will also have an afternoon practice option for swim team members whose school year runs through 6/17).
We will be using a Signup Genius for pre-season practice times. Practices will be offered 3:30-4:30pm, 4:30-5:30pm, & 5:30-6:30pm. Swimmers may attend up to 5 practices a week (one per day). Please make sure to sign up in advance so our coaches can assign appropriate lanes and coaching assignments.
The pre-season swim team sign up genius can be found here: https://www.
Please note that Mini Whompers do not participate in preseason practices. Mini Whompers will start June 13.
GEAR NEEDED THIS SEASON
Every swimmer should have the following equipment:
- Good fitting pair of goggles
- Swim cap - (our coaches prefer for all swimmers to use a cap) - Each swimmer will receive a HS latex cap.
- Fins - 12 & under swimmers (swim team and Mini Whompers) will need a pair of fins this summer. Coaches recommend this style of fin. Similar fins are available at Sport Fair in Arlington (5010 Langston Blvd)
- Practice/Team suit - Practice suits are lycra jammers or briefs and lycra one-piece suits. Board shorts and bikinis are not appropriate for swim practice or meets.
- Swimmers can use their own kickboard this summer or one of the Highlands kickboards.
- Water bottle - Keeping our swimmers hydrated at all times is very important!
- Swim bag - Encouraged to keep track of all swim equipment and personal belongings
- Sunscreen - Apply, apply, apply!
- Insect Repellent - Optional, but recommended, particularly during Monday night meets
Time trials will be held the morning of June 11th. Swimmers should plan on being at the pool from 7:00AM-1:00PM. Information on time trials can be found here. We will be taking a team photo on the upper deck at 7:00am followed immediately by the start of warm ups. We will be offering a parent informational session in the Turtle Shell while the team is taking the photo.
REGULAR SEASON PRACTICE TIMES FOR SWIM TEAM AND MINI WHOMPERS June 13 - July 22
Swim Team morning practices will start on Monday 6/13 for most swimmers, and on Monday 6/20 for those who are still in school. Practices run through Friday 7/22. To ensure that practices are beneficial, safe, and fun for everyone, swimmers will be placed in a practice session based both on age and ability.
REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE:
Session 1: 8:15-9:30 am (primarily 13 & over; 12 year olds by invite)
Session 2: 9:30 - 10:30 am (9-12 year olds)
Session 3: 10:30 – 11:30 am (8 years old and under swim team & Mini Whompers)
**June 14 - 18: We will offer afternoon swim team practice Monday-Friday the week of 6/14-6/18 for APS students and any others on swim team who are still in school. Information to come shortly.
AFTER 6/18, we will offer regular season afternoon swim team practices on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 5:30-6:30 for those swim team members unable to attend morning practices.
Please note that afternoon practices are for swim team members only.
MINI WHOMPERS PRACTICES & MINI MEET
Mini Whompers will start morning-only practices on either June 13 or 20 (depending on when each Mini finishes the school year). Mini Whompers practices will run through Friday 7/22 from 10:30-11:30am (M - F). We will be hosting Tuckahoe for a “Mini Whompers Meet” on Sunday July 10th at 12:30pm. Information on this meet will be sent in a later communication but please save this date!
CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS!!!
By signing your swimmer up for swim team, you also committed to helping out! There are many ways to help the team, such as timing at meets, organizing ribbon folders, flipping pancakes, etc. We especially need to identify volunteers for the following positions this season:
- Clerk Of Course (we will offer support and training) - We really need several parents to commit to learning this job for the season.
- Pep Rally Dinners - Gillian and Cheryl will manage the first Pep Rally pasta dinner this year but we need others to run the remaining four if we would like to continue the Friday evening pasta dinner tradition. Consider whether you (or you and a couple friends) could take charge of meeting the food delivery, set-up, serving, and clean up for the pasta dinner on June 24, July 1, July 8, or July 15.
- Officials - We can’t have swim meets without officials! The NVSL provides training and we will offer support and additional training and shadowing opportunities. Please contact Dan Russell at [email protected]@cov.com if you’re interested.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions about volunteering or how you can support the team! Volunteer descriptions can be found here.
Cheryl & Gillian
Highlands Team Reps 2022