Open Water Swim Info
May 31, 2022
We have had some requests for more information about open water swimming in the state of Illinois. So, here it goes! Listed below is some information about three Open Water Races in our state for the month of June. The first two are sanctioned by Illinois Swimming. The last is not. Sanctioned Events are covered under the umbrella of USA Swimming and have pre-approved safety plans in place. Non sanctioned races do not carry these distinctions. As more information becomes available, we will make sure to pass it along.
1)The first race is the Illinois Open Water Prep Meet Lemont, IL.
- Entries for this meet open May 24th and will close June 14. The race is June 21st. That race packet will be on the web site and attached with a separate email to applicable groups. This event does have qualifying times. This race is $35 and does have entry limitations WITH time standards. Those standards can be found by using the link below. This registration procedure is done through USA Swimming' OME (Online Meet Entry). http://www.usaswimming.org/ome
- If you have any questions about registration or would like more information, please reach out Head Coach and Illinois Open Water Chairperson, Tom Rieman [email protected]
- Illinois Open Water Time Standards
2) The next set of races is Open water Zones. This is also an event that will include NTA’s Coach, Greg Hartman, as an assistant on this coaching staff. If you are not familiar with open water swimming, the clinic is strongly encouraged. Please reach out to Tom Rieman with questions regarding these two events.
- The Central Zones Open Water registration is now open for team Illinois Athletes to register. Deadline is Friday, June 10th, 2022. This is a hard deadline and no registrations will be accepted after this date.
- Central Zones Open Water Clinic- Thursday, June 16, 2022
- Central Zones Open Water Race- Friday, June 17, 2022
- Registration is a two part process and links are listed below.
- Step 1: Go To https://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.jsp?id=1059649&team=ilzone Clinic fee is $26.00 and the race fee is $15.00. Each swimmer will receive a Team Illinois Tee Shirt and Cap at the event.
- Step 2: Once your registration is approved, you will go here and ENTER your athlete for the event.
- If you have any questions about this event, please reach out to our good friend Team Illinois Central Zone head coach Tom “Tiny” Rieman. [email protected]
3) The last race available at this time is the WOW race held here in Wilmette at Gillson Beach. This event has no qualifying times and is NOT an Illinois Swimming sanctioned event as the other two are. This is a fun race that supports the Ouilmette Foundation, which is a non profit organization that helps support the community we live and work in together. This event will be held on Saturday, June 19th, 2022. The cost of the race is $70 and includes a beach towel and swim cap. If you are interested in registering, contact the Ouilmette Foundation online or email [email protected] for more information.
Lastly, it is important to understand that these races and events, in most cases, are not NTA team events. This means that the sign up procedure may be different and must be initiated by the parent. Coaching and supervision provided at sanctioned swims will be coaches from Team Illinois and may not have NTA affiliations. Please let your coach know if you plan on going. If we get a good number at some of these races, coaches will attend to watch kids swim, so keep your group coach in the loop. As always, be safe and have fun! See you on deck. We will be making this information available on the site as well.
New Trier Aquatics
Age Group Coordinator/Lead Coach