February 8, 2018
2018 Ohio Swimming, Inc. Jose Cerda Memorial Scholarship
values academic excellence and swimming contributions made by Ohio
Swimming’s high school students. Ohio Swimming will award one
$500 scholarship each to a qualified male and female high school
student athlete in the memory of Jose Cerda.
A) DEFINITION: For purposes of meeting the eligibility requirements, an Institute of Higher Learning is defined as an educational institution in any state or country that:
- Admits as regular students only persons having a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate;
- Is legally authorized within such state or country to provide a program of education beyond secondary education;
- Provides an educational program for which the institution awards a bachelor’s degree or provides not less than a 2-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward such a degree, or awards a degree that is acceptable for admission to a graduate or professional degree program;
- Is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association, or if not so accredited, is an institution that has been granted pre-accreditation status by such an agency; or
- Any school that provides not less than a 1-year program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
- Applicants must be high school seniors graduating during the current academic school year when applications are due;
- Applicants must be a member in good standing of a swim team/swim club in Ohio Swimming; and
- Applicants must be accepted to an accredited program at an Institute of Higher Learning at the time scholarship funds are disbursed.
C) EVALUATION CRITERIA: Applications will be assessed based on the following:
- Content of Personal Essay on the specified topic;
- Participation in swim club/swim team, Ohio Swimming, and the aquatics community;
- Citizenship and community service;
- High school weighted grade point average
D) REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Applicants MUST submit all of the following information by the published deadline in order to be considered:
- Completed application form;
- Personal essay on the specified topic, not to exceed 1,000 words;
- Two letters of
recommendation meeting the following requirements:
- One recommendation letter MUST be from a swim coach; and
- Recommendation letters may not be from any family relative
- Unofficial transcript showing grades received through the end of the semester immediately proceeding the published application deadline.
E) SUBMISSION PROCEDURE:
- All Required Documents are to be compiled into ONE electronic file, in Adobe .pdf format, in the order listed under Paragraph D above.
- Electronic file
MUST be transmitted to the following email address:
- Application deadline: April 1, 2018 at 2400 hrs Eastern Time (note: a reply email will be provided to confirm receipt)
RECIPIENT ANNOUNCEMENT: Scholarship awards will be
awarded at the 2018 Ohio Swimming Recognition Banquet (May 5,
Link to the application